Advertisement

I'm Getting Pissed Off Again With Comics

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Chessack

Happy Pony Day!

Liked in: 447 posts
Title: Kara Zor-El's biggest fan

Re: I'm Getting Pissed Off Again With Comics

Postby Chessack » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:20 pm

Arion wrote:
Same here. A few years ago I didn't even pay attention to other publishers outside the big two. Now I rarely pay attention to DC.

Well, I'm not quite there yet... but I'm getting there. I left comic collecting in 1999 and only came back about a year ago. I had always been a huge DC buff, so of course when I started, once I settled on a pull list after a few months (of 10 titles -- I always stop at 10 just because more than that is insane to me), it was 100% (10/10) DC. Now it is 5 DC, 1 Marvel, 2 Image, 1 Dynamite, 1 Vertigo (so if you count Vertigo as DC, they make up 60% of the pull list). And I would not be surprised if by year's end that number is halved.

Advertisement

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 122 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:12 pm

Chessack wrote:
Well, I'm not quite there yet... but I'm getting there. I left comic collecting in 1999 and only came back about a year ago. I had always been a huge DC buff, so of course when I started, once I settled on a pull list after a few months (of 10 titles -- I always stop at 10 just because more than that is insane to me), it was 100% (10/10) DC. Now it is 5 DC, 1 Marvel, 2 Image, 1 Dynamite, 1 Vertigo (so if you count Vertigo as DC, they make up 60% of the pull list). And I would not be surprised if by year's end that number is halved.

When I started collecting comics, Byrne's Superman was my favorite (I read it for the first time in 1995, arriving a bit late to the party you might say). I only read DC for a few years, and then I started including a few Marvel titles. But my pull list was always like 80% DC and 20% Marvel. Then in 2006 I stopped buying DC titles (thanks to Geoff John's Crisis) except for Vertigo.

Chessack

Happy Pony Day!

Liked in: 447 posts
Title: Kara Zor-El's biggest fan

Postby Chessack » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:25 pm

I don't blame ya one bit. I started out liking Johns (not knowing much about him) for his excellent treatment of the JL reboot in issues 1-5 or so of that series. But since then he has gone off the deep end. He probably was bad before that, but I haven't read anything of his prior to 2011.

I think he and some others (*cough*Morrison*cough*) just have egos so big that they think they can pull off any old crap and people will read it, at this point. But not me.

I don't know if I can ever completely divest of DC, at least not while Supergirl has a series, because I can't resist Supergirl, even when her series is horrible (which unfortunately, except for Peter David's run, is usually the case). And I will stay with Batgirl as long as Gail writes it. But other than those two, I may not have much DC on my pull list by early 2014. Especially as the Forever Evil stupidness starts affecting other titles in the line (like probably WW, World's Finest, etc).

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The News Stand