Advertisement

What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 124 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Arion » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:24 pm

nietoperz wrote:
You'd think that, but DC printed SIX volumes of Justice League International and then stopped - and volume six ends in the middle of a story!

DC needs to start doing things better.

Advertisement

GiveWarAChance
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 1439 posts
Title: Unliving Legend
Formerly: GivePeaceAChance

Postby GiveWarAChance » Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:42 am

I just started reading the Uncanny X-Men omnibus. 848 pages of awesome.

LobsterJ
Great Scott!!!

Liked in: 119 posts

Postby LobsterJ » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:43 am

Hickman's "The Nightly News" might be the worst comic I've read since Brian Wood's "Channel Zero." They are actually pretty similar in tone, actually.

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 275 posts

Postby doombug » Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:26 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:Image

If you haven't read RASL yet, now would be a good time. The new hardcover collection has been expertly colored by Steve Hamaker, with parts re-written by author and artist Jeff Smith. After listening to a long talk between Smith and Tom Spurgeon the other day, it was actually while chatting with Smith later that he mentioned much of the material had been reworked for the new Cartoon Books HC release, (which I had already bought and had signed but was even more excited to read again having heard that).

It was a great read in single issues, but I have to say the new book is definitely the best way to read it.

I had to drop off after the first year, mostly because that's when I stopped collecting for a while.

It's been sitting on my Amazon wish list for a while and it's not at NYCC next week I'll probably order a copy the week after.

It was a really really good book with some very interesting ideas.

My comic guy actually got me a Rasl poster from the retailers summit signed by Smith himself. 8)

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 132 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:47 pm

doombug wrote:I had to drop off after the first year, mostly because that's when I stopped collecting for a while.

It's been sitting on my Amazon wish list for a while and it's not at NYCC next week I'll probably order a copy the week after.

It was a really really good book with some very interesting ideas.

My comic guy actually got me a Rasl poster from the retailers summit signed by Smith himself. 8)

Cool! Is it the poster-sized ashcan comic with part of issue one? Those are what we got for the event Smith was headlining, they are pretty fuckin' sweet. I got mine signed too with a big loose sketch of RASL (which was extra nice because I was literally the last person in a long, long line of people who got signatures, sketches, impromptu sketchbook critiques, and conversations with the man, having been helping to man the table selling out his books in the meantime).

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:52 pm

Got my psychedelic-colored Blade Runner print already too, now I just new to fit a frame for it.

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 275 posts

Postby doombug » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:36 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:
Cool! Is it the poster-sized ashcan comic with part of issue one? Those are what we got for the event Smith was headlining, they are pretty fuckin' sweet. I got mine signed too with a big loose sketch of RASL (which was extra nice because I was literally the last person in a long, long line of people who got signatures, sketches, impromptu sketchbook critiques, and conversations with the man, having been helping to man the table selling out his books in the meantime).

It's a mini poster that has the image of Rasl and the lizard dude fighting. Was exclusive to the retailers summit of 2009.

I'll get a picture of it when I can for you. 8)

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:36 am

GiveWarAChance wrote:I just started reading the Uncanny X-Men omnibus. 848 pages of awesome.

By golly, that must be one heavy book.

LobsterJ
Great Scott!!!

Liked in: 119 posts

Postby LobsterJ » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:36 pm

I just got the first volume of Bendis' Uncanny from the library...Jesus Christ, 24.99 retail price for five 20-page issues? I am out of touch with pricing since I don't buy Marvel trades, but man does anybody actually pay that?

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:57 pm

LobsterJ wrote:I just got the first volume of Bendis' Uncanny from the library...Jesus Christ, 24.99 retail price for five 20-page issues? I am out of touch with pricing since I don't buy Marvel trades, but man does anybody actually pay that?

Makes no sense to me, but I guess people love to get ripped off. There are a lot of Marvel HCs that collect 5 issues and are sold for 24.99.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 434 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:07 pm

Arion wrote:
Makes no sense to me, but I guess people love to get ripped off. There are a lot of Marvel HCs that collect 5 issues and are sold for 24.99.

They include digital editions.

wowbrow
A Quagmire

Liked in: 0 post
Title: wats going on here then?

Postby wowbrow » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:10 am

I'm reading "the death of captain stacy." I've been reading a load of Marvel pocketbooks recently 'cause they're cheap and I love silver age stuff.... the spiderman ones are not as good as the fantasic four ones though imo... the crazy shit stan has mr fantastic invent are awesome.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:47 pm

I got some more digest-size small press comics in the mail!

The mail has been kind lately. Another Laura Park comic!

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:58 pm

Keb wrote:They include digital editions.

The single issues also include the digital editions. And they are cheaper than the HC.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1466 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:08 pm

My LCS had a lot of new trades and hardcovers on their half price table today. Unfortunately, I only had a chance to glance at the top of the pile because some genius brought his clearly sick child into the store with him and he was coughing, sneezing, and manhandling everything he could get his hands on. :smt013

Moving to a new apartment next weekend and a couple of good deals on used trades isn't worth getting sick.
ImageImageImage

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand