Advertisement

Kirkman Continues To Fail Upwards: The Walking Dead #115 Best Selling Comic of 2013

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 231 posts

Kirkman Continues To Fail Upwards: The Walking Dead #115 Best Selling Comic of 2013

Postby LOLtron » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:23 pm

All this from an indy hack who couldn't even write a decent Ant-Man book

Source: The Walking Dead #115 Is Best Selling Comic Book Of 2013 So Far

No, this is not a re-run, The Walking Dead has captured the “best selling” issue for the second year in a row, according to The USA Today, a great paper to read if you absolutely need to know what happened last week. From Comicbook.com:

According to USA Today, The Walking Dead #115 has sold more than 350,000 copies through retail orders, which by far makes the issue the best-selling comic so far in 2013. The Walking Dead #115 kicks off a twelve issue story arc called “All Out War.” It’s also being recognized as the 10th anniversary edition of the series. The issue was published with 10 variant covers, which helped to boost sales as some collectors like to collect every variation of their favorite titles.

…Last year, the best selling comic book of the year was The Walking Dead #100, which sold more than 380,000 copies.

How sad is it that there is an entire generation of comic book readers who think that 300,000 issues of a comic sold is a big deal?

Now, we can go off on variant covers, gimmicky anniversaries, or whatever other fanboy bitchfest that will try and diminish Kirkman’s accomplishments, but there is no denying that The Walking Dead is a franchise not to be underestimated. But, even with all those qualifications, this is a creator owned book that routinely leads the monthly graphic novel sales charts and has, for the second year in a row, sold more single issues that any other comic, including the totally not falsely inflated “shortages” of a certain company’s 3D covers.

350,000 copies! That’s a lot of nuts…by today’s standards.

Written or Contributed by GHERU

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

superfictious
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Liked in: 180 posts
Title: superfictious.wordpress.com

Re: Kirkman Continues To Fail Upwards: The Walking Dead #115

Postby superfictious » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:32 pm

Absolutely the only property I've ever seen translate mainstream success to comic sales.

Reid Cain
FACEBOOKTron

Liked in: 160 posts
Title: DOCILE ROBOT

RE: Kirkman Continues To Fail Upwards: The Walking Dead #115 Best Selling Comic of 2013

Postby Reid Cain » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:52 pm

Um..... My Little Pony #1 just recently tipped 1,000,000 but who's counting?

GHERU

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 259 posts

Re: RE: Kirkman Continues To Fail Upwards: The Walking Dead

Postby GHERU » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:53 pm

FBtron wrote:Um..... My Little Pony #1 just recently tipped 1,000,000 but who's counting?

that's all the issues combined, this is one issue of a comic
RUviews
Benderbrau wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse. Where civility means you're doing it wrong.

Chessack
cheese

Liked in: 345 posts
Title: Kara Zor-El's biggest fan

Postby Chessack » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:05 pm

superfictious wrote:Absolutely the only property I've ever seen translate mainstream success to comic sales.

It's also one of the only series that has snowballed readership/sales. It wasn't selling 300,000+ at the beginning. It started small and slowly picked up steam over the months and years.

To be honest I tried the first TPB and found it not to be my taste. But that doesn't deny the success. And the fact that most of it was done without the DC style gimmicks.

Chicanery
expert hobo killer

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Chicanery » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:39 pm

There were 13 different covers, 11 to regular shops, 2 limited to create speculation demand. Who said Image changed?

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 55 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:24 pm

Wow, and he did without resetting The Walking Dead with a new #1 issue.

Marvel, DC ... take note.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 344 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:15 pm

I still don't know who the guy on the last page is or why I should care about it.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 41 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:35 am

Chicanery wrote:There were 13 different covers, 11 to regular shops, 2 limited to create speculation demand. Who said Image changed?

Hmm... I wonder why it sold so many copies...

Curious, indeed.
Last edited by Chris on Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 41 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:35 am

Eli Katz wrote:Wow, and he did without resetting The Walking Dead with a new #1 issue.

Marvel, DC ... take note.

Throw 50 covers out per issue and the collector market from the show will buy everything up?

The Walking Dead usually sells in the 70,000 range. Still incredible numbers for a creator-owned book, but let's be real here. It's not like this sells 300,000 copies every issue. Both times it had the "highest selling issue of the year" it relied on cringeworthy 90's gimmicks.

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 55 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:19 am

Chris wrote:Throw 50 covers out per issue and the collector market from the show will buy everything up?

The Walking Dead usually sells in the 70,000 range. Still incredible numbers for a creator-owned book, but let's be real here. It's not like this sells 300,000 copies every issue. Both times it had the "highest selling issue of the year" it relied on cringeworthy 90's gimmicks.

All true. But I hate, hate, hate (probably to an irrational extent) resets in comics. The whole joy of collecting, at least for me, is to maintain an ongoing connection with much-loved characters and to follow their personal developments over time. The resets often feel like unnecessary breaks or disruptions -- an attempt, with new numbering schemes, to diminish past stories. Obviously, I understand that you don't have to interpret the resets in such a dramatic, fanboy way. But hey, I do. And that's why I don't mind other cheap, gimmicky ways to boost sales, while I rail against the "new number 1" strategy.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:31 pm

He gets an extra headline from the anniversary covers, but the book was already competing with the mainstream books and beating most of them on the sales charts anyway--and with trade sales, annihilating them--why shouldn't Image play the same games? Besides, lots of artists want to do these occasional WD multiple covers and they're usually better than DC's or Marvel's variants.

The issue itself was pretty boring, but in a zombie soap opera most readers won't balk at the occasional slow issue when they are focused on what's going to happen in it next.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 98 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:59 pm

superfictious wrote:Absolutely the only property I've ever seen translate mainstream success to comic sales.

Yes, and the only one that is bringing in new readers.

Chessack
cheese

Liked in: 345 posts
Title: Kara Zor-El's biggest fan

Postby Chessack » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:28 pm

Eli Katz wrote:I hate, hate, hate (probably to an irrational extent) resets in comics. The whole joy of collecting, at least for me, is to maintain an ongoing connection with much-loved characters and to follow their personal developments over time. The resets often feel like unnecessary breaks or disruptions -- an attempt, with new numbering schemes, to diminish past stories. Obviously, I understand that you don't have to interpret the resets in such a dramatic, fanboy way. But hey, I do. And that's why I don't mind other cheap, gimmicky ways to boost sales, while I rail against the "new number 1" strategy.

Well, I agree with you about the "new #1 strategy," but I don't like the gimmicky sales boosts either. To me the "new #1" is just a more extreme variant of the other methods. But I hate the resets for the same reasons you do. These incessant resets have turned almost every series into a glorified mini-series now. Captain America ran continuously for almost 3 decades... and has had 6 volumes in 17 years (that's rebooting roughly once every 3 years). It's just gotten silly now. I know they want "new readers," but they aren't doing anything ELSE besides renumbering these books to actually appeal to new readers. All they're really trying to do is grab existing readers from their competitors onto the new book. This doesn't generate more total comic sales -- it just shifts them around.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:32 pm

Except I think Marvel's last wave of new NOW books did generate more comics sales for the company. They're repeating what worked for them the first time and hoping for the same result.

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand