Advertisement

The '75 Years Of Superman' animated short

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Herald
Fagorstorm

Liked in: 405 posts
Title: Fun for the Whole Family!!

Re: The '75 Years Of Superman' animated short

Postby Herald » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:55 pm

outsider wrote:Image

I know what the word means. But thanks for your concern.

RIP Bender :-(

RIP. :-(

Advertisement

Herald
Fagorstorm

Postby Herald » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:00 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:Herald can you log back in as your Spektre persona? There are some posts awaiting your response in the Obamacare thread.

Sorry, can't help you... :smt102

Chesscub wrote:
Not a trope. I think Herald's account has been hacked.

...but I'm glad to be able to allay YOUR fears. :-D 8)
Last edited by Herald on Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adamiani
Snake On A Plane

Liked in: 8 posts

Postby adamiani » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:03 pm

Herald wrote:
Unless, of course, you like pre-Crisis Earth-2's aged Superman, Byrne's "Man of Steel" Superman, the Dean Cain Superman, Tom Welling "Smallville" Superman, or Brandon Routh Superman. In those cases, you're SOL, aren't you?? :smt102

It's era not specific depiction. There are a LOT of actors that have played him.

But, uh, Smallville was actually depicted, which surprised me and made me smile.

Earth-2 aged-Superman was essentially the Ross Superman, also depicted.

Bryne probably should have been depicted, at the expense of the Superman video game. But I'm wondering if the Superman they showed fighting Doomsday was essentially their depiction of Bryne-era Superman; it sure looked like the solid 80s-stylization rather than the more exaggerated 90s proportions and exaggerated linework.

But hey, Snyder helped make the thing, so nepotism demands that they HAD to stuff Snyderman in there, even if it's to the exclusion of others. Sorry, but I'm still not wowed by his inclusion or Nuperman's. Still a nice piece, though.

I'm not wowed by it either, but it'd be kind of weird to do a celebration of the full history of Superman and not include contemporary Superman.

dairydead
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 229 posts

Postby dairydead » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:04 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:
To be fair, I'm not sure reading picture books about "Superman" and "Batman" is any less embarrassing. :P

As long as you view them as fictional characters, not as buddies that you give nicknames to, i think it should be ok.
The Firelord to Hawk's Galactus

dairydead
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 229 posts

Postby dairydead » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:04 pm

and even if superman was my buddy, i would hope he'd punch me in the goddamn face if i ever called him "Nuperman"
The Firelord to Hawk's Galactus

Herald
Fagorstorm

Postby Herald » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:19 pm

adamiani wrote:
It's era not specific depiction. There are a LOT of actors that have played him.

And yet, they made sure there was room for Snyderman actor Henry Cavill's era, rather than Dean Cain's, Tom Welling's, or Brandon Routh's. Nepotism has its privileges...

But, uh, Smallville was actually depicted, which surprised me and made me smile.

A tower is not a Superman, and certainly bears no resemblance to Mr. Welling.

"Somebody SAAAAAAAAAAVE Tom!! COME ONNNNN!!" :P :wink:

Not at all. Earth-2 aged-Superman never abandoned society, just because anti-heroism became popular. Prior to the DiDio era's usual Character Derailment, he had more dignity than to do such a thing.

Bryne probably should have been depicted, at the expense of the Superman video game. But I'm wondering if the Superman they showed fighting Doomsday was essentially their depiction of Bryne-era Superman; it sure looked like the solid 80s-stylization rather than the more exaggerated 90s proportions and exaggerated linework.

Animation always favors less linework and more solidity (which is why Timm's animated Superman design worked so well). I think if they were reaching for Byrne's Superman, they'd have gotten it.

I'm not wowed by it either, but it'd be kind of weird to do a celebration of the full history of Superman and not include contemporary Superman.

I don't see Snyderman as "contemporary", more like an aberration.
Last edited by Herald on Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Herald
Fagorstorm

Postby Herald » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:23 pm

dairydead wrote:
As long as you view them as fictional characters, not as buddies that you give nicknames to, i think it should be ok.

I don't consider Nuperman or Snyderman my buddies. In fact (to steal from Denny O'Neil), if they were real, I'd try crossing the street to avoid them. :P

oogy
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 167 posts
Formerly: oogyboy, Elwood P Dowd, OH USER #535

Postby oogy » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:56 pm

That was great!

I wish there was a Superman book on the stands that I like right now.

I'm thinking about giving Action a shot again with the new creative team, and I've bought the first issue of Superman/Wonder Woman.

Stephen Colbert wrote:Everybody knows I don't see race. People tell me I'm white and I believe them because I get pretty good service at the Cracker Barrel.

Ron Swanson wrote:You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

Strict31
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 168 posts
Title: Ain't enough space bitches

Postby Strict31 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:18 pm

I liked it.

"You must be proud, bold, pleasant, resolute,
And now and then stab, as occasion serves."

Edward II: Act 2 Scene 1, by Christopher Marlowe

adamiani
Snake On A Plane

Liked in: 8 posts

Postby adamiani » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:27 pm

Herald wrote:And yet, they made sure there was room for Snyderman actor Henry Cavill's era, rather than Dean Cain's, Tom Welling's, or Brandon Routh's. Nepotism has its privileges...

He just did a $660+ million dollar movie with a sequel on the way. As far as WB is concerned, that IS Superman right now.

Plus, wasn't this partly funded as a DVD extra for Man of Steel?

Not at all. Earth-2 aged-Superman never abandoned society, just because anti-heroism became popular. Prior to the DiDio era's usual Character Derailment, he had more dignity than to do such a thing.[/quote]

1) Except for 1986-2006, when he ... abandoned society.
2) Are you really complaining that Kingdom Come Superman was an example of the super-trendy popularity of anti-hero tropes in comics? Because I'm not sure that's what the work was intended to convey.

Herald
Fagorstorm

Postby Herald » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:11 pm

adamiani wrote:
He just did a $660+ million dollar movie with a sequel on the way. As far as WB is concerned, that IS Superman right now.

If that's so, then why is Nuperman so different??

And why allow a licensee to sell this:

This company is using the classic Superman design, not the Darker and Edgier Snyderman model. Seems to me that, if Warners was so worried about making Synderman the only Superman out there, this toy wouldn't exist.

Plus, wasn't this partly funded as a DVD extra for Man of Steel?

Apparently not, according to the aforementioned article:

How did this all come about?

“It was Zack Snyder’s idea,” says Timm, the designer, animator, writer, and producer whose credits include Batman: The Animated Series and Justice League Unlimited. “We had approached him about maybe doing a short for the DC Nation program on Cartoon Network. He said, ‘I’ll think about it,’ and then he had this idea to do basically the entire history of Superman in, like, a minute. We said, ‘Okay … whoooo.’ We started working and quickly realized there was no way to do it, even in a minute.”

1) Except for 1986-2006, when he ... abandoned society.

Nah, he went to another world with other people to protect, including his wife Lois Lane, Alex Luthor, and Superboy Prime. On the other hand, KC Superman retreated to be by himself on a farm and protect no one; that is abandoning society.

2) Are you really complaining that Kingdom Come Superman was an example of the super-trendy popularity of anti-hero tropes in comics? Because I'm not sure that's what the work was intended to convey.

Nope. I'm saying that KC Superman got demoralized by Lois's death and anti-heroism becoming prized by society, so he withdrew from everyone. As the story pointed out, that was a Bad Move.
Last edited by Herald on Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1027 posts
Title: Absent
Formerly: cyclone, Chili con Blarney

Postby outsider » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:52 pm

Kal-El had to go to 'paradise' with Lois, Alexander and Prime or they would have faded out of existence in the post-Crisis universe, so he didn't abandon society.
-

Bianco
cheese

Liked in: 139 posts

Postby Bianco » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:27 pm

Very well done, brings back good memories

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 107 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:55 am

Yeah, it's 'nepotism' to use the current versions of Superman :roll:

A history has to go from the beginning to the present, and New 52 and Henry Cavill are the present.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 212 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:40 am

Herald wrote:
If that's so, then why is Nuperman so different??

And why allow a licensee to sell this:

This company is using the classic Superman design, not the Darker and Edgier Snyderman model. Seems to me that, if Warners was so worried about making Synderman the only Superman out there, this toy wouldn't exist.

That's the big problem with the relaunch. DC has done zero to work with its license holders to push the nu-Supes design. That means making sure that Nu-Supes gets used instead of classic-Supes in most cases, such as in products aimed for kids like toys (the actual kind you play with, not collect) and school supplies. Then allow the use of old-Supes for retro-related products like collectable toys and adult t-shirts.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum