Advertisement

New Avengers #11

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 411 posts
Title: Self Important

New Avengers #11

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:43 pm

Yes,Punchy and I agree the Thanos aspect of Infinity is by far the most interesting and while this issue features a little bit of that just not enough. We do however finally get the spider thing out of Strange...that story line went no where...yet? This was sort of a down issue but the event as a whole is still better than previous events. So, it's got that going for it.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Advertisement

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 104 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Re: New Avengers #11

Postby Punchy » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:53 am

Whilst I did prefer this week’s issue of Avengers, this was still a very strong book, and it did a bang-up job of not only combining the central ‘Incursions’ storyline of this series with Thanos’ attack on Earth, but it also brought in the other half of Infinity, The Builders.

The Illuminati (sans Black Bolt) are in the Incursion Zone, about to decide what to do, when out of the other Earth drops… an Aleph. This alternate universe Aleph takes the Illuminati on board a Worldkiller Ship from that universe, where we meet some Builders from that reality. Although it seems like The Builders don’t really have home universes, they are (or were) able to travel in between them, these builders just happen to have been stranded in this universe when the Super-Structure collapsed. I did like the touch that this universe’s Ex Nihilos were Red, compared to the Marvel Universe’s yellow. The Builders discover Corvus Glaive’s influence over Doctor Strange, and pull it out of him, and we then learn that the nearly dead Builder who escaped Captain Universe in this week’s Avengers turned up here, which means that, because The Builders of ‘our’ universe are dead, and the Worldkiller cannot travel through the Incursion, the alternate Builders have to destroy their Earth.

So for now, the real Earth is saved, but the Illuminati have another important question to face, should they kill their own planet to save the whole of reality? It’s a big one, and it just adds more to the already dark and twisted central point of this series. They have the weapons to do so, will it come to that?

Speaking of those weapons, Thanos comes into contact with them in this issue, so perhaps they won’t have them for much longer. Back on Earth, there’s a lot of big stuff going on too, we see that Lockjaw and Maximus The Mad have survived, and we also see that Thanos’ attack on Wakanda is not going well for Shuri, as Proxima Midnight forces them to retreat. Man, Proxima is a bad-ass, although was anyone else surprised to find out that she and Corvus Glaive were married? That’s an interesting detail. Thanos discovers the Illuminati’s secret base in Necropolis, and as well as discovering the weapons, he also comes face to face with the Illuminati’s prisoners, Terrax and Black Swan. I loved the little moment between Thanos and Black Swan, that character has kind of been forgotten about during the crossover, but the fact that she seems to intimidate Thanos is very exciting indeed.

I did enjoy this issue, as I do with all things Infinity, but I think perhaps the scenes between the Illuminati and The Builders were a bit too much of a return to the bad old days of infuriating Hickman dialogue. But the stuff on Earth saved it, as did the always excellent Mike Deodato, who draws the best Thanos ever for me. We won’t get another New Avengers issue until after Infinity is over, so I expect that to be pretty damn big.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 211 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:13 am

I expect that by the end of Infinity, Namor and T'Challa's will both be kings without a kingdom.

I kind of wonder if Namor will be sticking around the Illuminati as well, a he'll be in Invaders shortly. He could be there spying on Cap for the crew, but I can also see them kicking him out and mindwiping after lying to Proxima about the Time Gem being in Wakandia.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 438 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:27 pm

It was interesting to see the Builders from a universe where they aren't enemies of the Avengers.

Thank you Troy for the sig

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 462 posts

Postby Draco x » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:31 pm

Poor poor Wakanda........

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 211 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:53 am

Draco x wrote:Poor poor Wakanda........

Atlantis and Wakanda both getting trashed isn't a shock.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand