Advertisement

Avengers #21 (We need a miracle Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Avengers #21 (We need a miracle Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:52 am

Jonathan Hickman drops 2 Infinity issues on us this week, and for the first time, I think I’m more interested in the Avengers, outer-space half of the story than the New Avengers elements. This issue picked up from the awesomeness that was Infinity #4 and showed the Galactic Alliance fighting back against the builders, and somehow managed to make this even more of an epic space opera than it was before. And it was pretty bloody epic already.

The issue opens with the Ex Nihilos all gathered around Captain Universe, but I’ll get to that later, the best stuff in this issue was the resumption of hostilities. We discover that even after Thor killed The Builder and got Ronan The Accuser onside, the Supreme Intelligence did not want to get back in the fight. So Ronan smashes him and the leads the Accusers and the Kree Army on his own, without the Intelligence’s permission, which is pretty bad-ass. Hickman then quickly shows us the scale of the war, with the Kymellians, the Space-Knights (who aren’t all dead, yay) and the Skrulls all coming back and taking it to The Builders. We also see that the Avengers are fighting alongside the Shi’Ar Imperial Guard, and that they still aren’t winning. So Gladiator and Captain America go for their last resort option… unleashing The Annihilation Wave.

I loved this scene, Annihilation is one of the best Marvel stories of the last decade, and Hickman did a fantastic job of reflecting that, and making this seem like a huge deal. I hope anyone reading Infinity who hasn’t read Annihilation goes out and does so now, you won’t be disappointed. It’s brilliant to see how far the cosmic side of the Marvel Universe has come, back then, it was a separate event, read by a few, now, those same characters and concepts are central parts of an Avengers story, it’s so cool, and the best kind of continuity.

Surprisingly, even the Annihilation Wave is not able to stop The Builders, as they are easily able to manipulate the Bugs and have them turn on eachother, and Annihilus. So what now? Just as everything seemed to be going so well for the Avengers, it’s all gone to shit again? Nope, because Ex Nihilo is able to wake Captain Universe up from her coma, and she confronts her creations. There’s some Hickmanian techno-babble about the Universal Super-Structure and all that jazz, but the end result is, she blasts most of ‘em to death, and the only survivor flees to an alternate universe. So, have our heroes won? Has the tide of this war swung 3 times in the space of one issue? Well, not really, as the last act of The Builders is to command all of the Alephs to ‘Destroy everything’, which certainly is exciting set up for the last part of this event.

I say this every week, but I am just loving this event, and how big it all feels, and this issue felt like the biggest one yet. Hickman finally has a story big enough for all of his ideas, and Leinil Yu is the perfect artist for this stuff, giving everything the right, epic feel. I want more! Oh look, an issue of New Avengers…

Advertisement

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 80 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Re: Avengers #21 (We need a miracle Spoilers)

Postby Juan Cena » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:20 am

It's not shocking at all that The Builders could stop the Annihilation Wave. These guys are supposed to be Celestial-level or higher, so stopping the Annihilation Wave shouldn't be too much of a problem.

I'm definitely starting to see the Avengers having a greater cosmic presence after Infinity. I seriously doubt that The Builders aren't going to be totally finished off (as some showed up in New Avengers). Cosmic stuff in Avengers, Earth-stuff in Avengers World. Works for me.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 132 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Postby habitual » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:49 pm

The Universal super structure isn't Hickman techno babble, it's Starbrand techno babble.

It seems that the Ex Nihili and Abyssi were put out to pasture in favor of the New Universe characters.

Hab

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:31 pm

habitual wrote:The Universal super structure isn't Hickman techno babble, it's Starbrand techno babble.

It seems that the Ex Nihili and Abyssi were put out to pasture in favor of the New Universe characters.

Hab

Doubt it without further info. Ex Nihlo and Abyss was part of the Avengers World artwork.

Mind you the solicitation for Avengers #25 mentions an Avenger is supposed to die, but I doubt that it'll be him. Or that I expect said dead Avenger to remain dead.

- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby habitual » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:54 pm

Juan Cena wrote:
Doubt it without further info. Ex Nihlo and Abyss was part of the Avengers World artwork.

Mind you the solicitation for Avengers #25 mentions an Avenger is supposed to die, but I doubt that it'll be him. Or that I expect said dead Avenger to remain dead.

Go back and reread what I posted because it went over your head..

It's already been established the Ex Nihili and Abyssi have been replaced by the New Universal super structure and the Builders utilize the Superflow in a similar way to Nightmask.

Hab

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:34 pm

habitual wrote:
Go back and reread what I posted because it went over your head..

It's already been established the Ex Nihili and Abyssi have been replaced by the New Universal super structure and the Builders utilize the Superflow in a similar way to Nightmask.

Hab

My bad. I must've read #20 too fast to pick that up. Didn't have time until now to reread it.

- Sons of the Desert

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 288 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:32 pm

As somebody who came to really like Ronan during Annihilation, it's nice to see him back in a leadership role regarding the Kree.

Thank you Troy for the sig

adamiani
Whale Castrato

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby adamiani » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:42 pm

Juan Cena wrote:It's not shocking at all that The Builders could stop the Annihilation Wave. These guys are supposed to be Celestial-level or higher, so stopping the Annihilation Wave shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Well... OK, that's fair. But it's the SECOND time that he's unleashed the Annihilation Wave as a last ditch thing and that hasn't amounted to much.

I don't think he understands the concept of "Worfing" an opponent and how it does long-term damage to them.

I mean, it's going to take a lot for me to ever take Galactus seriously as a big scary ultrathreat after "To me, my Galactus!" -- maybe if he eats Ultimate.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:47 am

Stephen Day wrote:As somebody who came to really like Ronan during Annihilation, it's nice to see him back in a leadership role regarding the Kree.

Yeah, I'm going to be curious about how things the Kree goes from being allies with The Invaders to threatening Earth in Robinson's new Invaders series.

- Sons of the Desert

pat
cheese

Liked in: 0 post

Postby pat » Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:46 am

Juan Cena wrote:
Yeah, I'm going to be curious about how things the Kree goes from being allies with The Invaders to threatening Earth in Robinson's new Invaders series.

supreme intelligence doesn't seem to be a fan of these moves, my guess is something to do with that

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:55 am

pat wrote:
supreme intelligence doesn't seem to be a fan of these moves, my guess is something to do with that

Probably. Not sure about Ronan, though. Wouldn't be surprised if he joined the Avengers when this is all said and done.

- Sons of the Desert

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 628 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:23 pm

Stephen Day wrote:As somebody who came to really like Ronan during Annihilation, it's nice to see him back in a leadership role regarding the Kree.

100% This!
ImageImageImage

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby habitual » Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:59 pm

I like that as well, but, I'd really like to see him play a role in Inhumanity. Loved the relationship he had with Crystal.

Hab

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 288 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:02 pm

habitual wrote:
I like that as well, but, I'd really like to see him play a role in Inhumanity. Loved the relationship he had with Crystal.

Hab

I hated when I heard that their marriage had ended. What was the point in doing that? I can't see any evidence of any good stories coming out of it and that move removed a whole lot of plot points that could have gone in some interesting directions. :smt011

Thank you Troy for the sig

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand