Advertisement

Superior Spider-Man #19 *Inferior Spoilers*

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 183 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Superior Spider-Man #19 *Inferior Spoilers*

Postby Zechs » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:11 am

Wow, what an end. :shock: I mean I expected no matter what that Alchemax would survive, but I didn't expect the twists and turns this issue took. :shock: If anything, the only problem I had was the Green Goblin subplot was dropped after he was flying around as the Hobgoblin. What was the point of that?

Everything else though. WOW. Stone gets his revenge and now with Liz (okay I have to ask. Her bitch phase has endured since the Mackie/Bryne years? She was such a nice person in the 80s and 90s stories I read. WTH happened to her?) merging her, parts of Oscorp that she and Normie owns, and Horizon into Alchemax.

I'm not surprised Miguel survived, but I am that he's stuck in present day Marvel and watching over the pair (Allen and Stone) trying to change the past via exposing the later's criminal ties. We are so getting a Spider-Man 2099 series aren't we? I COMMAND IT!!!

Spock utterly fails big time. So bad in fact that when push comes to shove he tries accessing the memories of Peter he had used previously since that's all he has left. Even that doesn't work, but it leads to the biggest twist/tease in the book: Peter Parker is coming back!

Then there are the other little subplots tied up. Max fires Peter due pretty much this all being his fault along with two other surprise firings. I hope Max and the Horizon crew return someday, because honestly they were the best thing to happen to Pete.

Another door that closes is MJ totally breaks off with "Pete" as well and moves on. Okay, part of me is ticked still MJ has yet to realize this still isn't Pete. Freaking Carlie Cooper knows it and even gotten her superior to believe the theory. Yet MJ doesn't know? That's the only flaw I've had with Slott's Superior, but then again maybe there's a twist I haven't seen yet coming.

Speaking of Carlie that's where the issue ends. She and Wraith finds a HUGE piece connecting Spock to his past life now.

Overall a fine arc and good issue which makes me wonder what's gonna happen next? Slott's teased something BIG is gonna happen next issue. Is it Peter asserting himself again? We find out what the hell Spock was rambling about when he was brought back? Why the hell the Green Goblin was wearing the Hobgoblin's costume and the point of it all? Carlie/Wraith find another piece or Spock targets them? Spock does something horrific to the Black Cat? So many questions so little time.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

Advertisement

Bloodrose
Whippersnapper

Liked in: 0 post

Re: Superior Spider-Man #19 *Inferior Spoilers*

Postby Bloodrose » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:11 am

I found this one a pretty uninteresting issue. (Unlike the last couple of ones.) Miguel was laying on the ground for the most part. Spock and the rest didn't do anything, they were just talking about the time-problem, then tadaa, there was a machine that could fix anything, then tadaa Spock figured the right equation. Then he blew up. Then, without any explanation he came back. There was no hints of his whereabouts (whenabouts?), though that at least could have bring some excitement to the issue. This way... okay, he was somewhere... somewhen... Horizon headed the horizon, and frankly, I won't miss them. Alchemex is founded, I guess that had to happen somewhen, but with all the evil corporations around (Roxxon, Life Foundation, Oscorp, etc.) it just fails to amuse me. The Wraith line is a progress, but it just bugs me, that they found the man who apparently finances all big players, who - it seems - to this day couldn't be caught by Shiled, the Avengers or anyone else of the big players... and yet he stores his data on paper... with clear evidence that Otto Octavius' transfers him money for transported stuff to Spider-Island... Oh, give me a break...

The Wraith line is promising, Miguel's line is promising, The Goblin line is very promising, Peter's line is ... well it's an evidence for something every sane people thought of one way or another... but still, this issue was boredom.

Chesscub
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 6 posts
Title: Bear du jour

Postby Chesscub » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:23 am

So essentially, Dan Slott is using pieces of the plot to Spider-Man : Edge of Time?

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 65 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:50 am

Dan Slott and Ryan Stegman wrap up the very enjoyable Spider-Man 2099 story in excellent fashion here, and also set up some very interesting stuff for the future.

There isn’t too much action in this issue, because Spider-Man 2099 is out cold for most of it, but the character elements for Otto Octavious are very interesting indeed. With 2099 unconscious, it’s up to our ‘hero’ to save the day, and for once, it looks like SpOck is actually inferior to Peter Parker. If Peter was there, he would have been able to remember the equation which would stop the Reverbium from destroying the fabrics of space and time. But of course, Otto never accessed those memories, so he doesn’t know the equation. We see him delve into the memories he does have, and it was very cool to see Stegman redraw many classic Spider-Man moments, in close approximations of the original artists (it may even be the originals) but with Doc Ock’s head replacing Peter’s. During this sequence, we also see a strange silhouette of someone rising from some rubble. It’s pretty obvious that this is Peter Parker in memory form, coming back from the defeat he suffered back in #9, Doc Ock has not completely erased him after all.

In the end, in a rather surprising moment of failure, Spider-Man is unable to remember the equation, and there’s a massive ‘time-quake’ which disappears both Horizon Labs and Spidey. It’s been a lot of fun seeing Doc Ock actually be good at being a hero, but it’s also interesting to see him screw up, for their to be a bit of balance, because at times, you are left wondering why you thought Peter Parker was any good in the first place. This issue showed that Otto, as entertaining as he is, is still no hero. So basically, things are back as they were for Spider-Man 2099, he managed to stop Tiberius Stone from being killed, and his timeline is saved, hooray. But, in the future, Tyler Stone breaks the time machine on their end, stranding Miguel O’Hara in the present. Miguel decides to keep an eye on Tiberius Stone, and becomes his personal assistant, as ‘Michael O’Mara’. This all feels like set-up for a new Spider-Man 2099 series, and whilst I welcome that, it does feel kind of stupid to me to take that character out of his setting and time period entirely. Part of the reason people like the character is because of the world of 2099, do we really care about his exploits in the now?

But then again, with SpOck lost in the time-stream, he’s the only Spidey we have! Except no, Max Modell and Grady Scraps use a nifty machine (and a Doctor Who reference) to rescue Spider-Man and bring him back. We don’t see where he went during the time he was missing, but he returns to a much more unkind world. J.Jonah Jameson has exiled Horizon Labs from New York, Max has fired Peter Parker, Mary-Jane no longer wants to talk to him, and oh yeah, Carlie Cooper has discovered the big secret. That’s a big one, as the issue is book-ended by Carlie and Wraith investigating Spider-Man’s taxes, in one of those tax haven islands, and at the end, Carlie finds a document showing that the money going to Spider-Island comes from… Doctor Octopus. Now, Carlie hasn’t pieced together everything, but it’s coming. I’ve been loving this storyline, and how surprisingly successful Ock has been, but I can’t wait to see all of the bricks come tumbling down. Spider-Man’s lost his job, he’s lost most of his friends, Carlie is close in on the truth, and even though they aren’t in this issue, the Goblins are circling. Oh man, I am excited, this book always delivers and the endgame should be even better.

The art here from Stegman was solid once again, but I did find the constant yellow colouring on most of the pages a bit distracting and annoying, I suppose it did get across the severity of the crisis, but it was a bit much from Edgar Delgado.

Evan Meadow
Motherfucker from Hell

Postby Evan Meadow » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:58 am

If you looked at Bleeding Cool yesterday, supposedly a Spidey 2099 series has already been announced, being drawn by Simone Bianchi.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 65 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:00 am

Chesscub wrote:So essentially, Dan Slott is using pieces of the plot to Spider-Man : Edge of Time?

Didn't Slott write that game? Or maybe he did the other one.

Flynn the Pirate
OMCTO

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Flynn the Pirate » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:33 am

I was a little let down by this issue, to be honest. I mean, yeah, it was kind of fun seeing Otto and Miguel go at it and yeah, it was really cool seeing Miguel continue to have a presence in the current Marvel universe. But the Wraith stuff? It felt tacked on. And the Goblin stuff? What happened with that? We're building up to this Goblin Nation and we saw Goblin King masquerading as Hobgoblin. And then this issue... nothing.

I'm starting to wonder if maybe Slott has too many balls in the air. He keeps teasing that an end is coming, and there is some of that in this issue most definitely, but it's just teasing. At first I thought it was decompression or trying to build to a crescendo. Now I'm starting to wonder if he's just having trouble keeping it all on track.

Chesscub
WTF is this rank?

Title: Bear du jour

Postby Chesscub » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:44 am

Punchy wrote:

Peter David did Edge of Time. The time flipping Spider-Man 2099 played a big part in the story as well as Stone going back in time to start Alchemax.

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 183 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:50 am

Flynn the Pirate wrote:I was a little let down by this issue, to be honest. I mean, yeah, it was kind of fun seeing Otto and Miguel go at it and yeah, it was really cool seeing Miguel continue to have a presence in the current Marvel universe. But the Wraith stuff? It felt tacked on. And the Goblin stuff? What happened with that? We're building up to this Goblin Nation and we saw Goblin King masquerading as Hobgoblin. And then this issue... nothing.

I'm starting to wonder if maybe Slott has too many balls in the air. He keeps teasing that an end is coming, and there is some of that in this issue most definitely, but it's just teasing. At first I thought it was decompression or trying to build to a crescendo. Now I'm starting to wonder if he's just having trouble keeping it all on track.

The Wraith stuff I get that it's key to the "good" guy side since Carlie just found how Spock is funding Spider-Island 2.0. It makes perfect sense how Spock got the money.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 476 posts
Title: All the good ones were taken
Formerly: beta-ray

Postby sdsichero » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:50 am

Punchy wrote:

I believe Peter David did.

I'd welcome a Spider-Man 2099/2013 by David (I like Slott too though).
ImageImageImageImageImage

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 476 posts
Title: All the good ones were taken
Formerly: beta-ray

Postby sdsichero » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:01 am

Evan Meadow wrote:If you looked at Bleeding Cool yesterday, supposedly a Spidey 2099 series has already been announced, being drawn by Simone Bianchi.

Not to say there isn't one in the works, but the official line says...

http://brevoortformspring.tumblr.com/post/64294901397/was-there-a-spider-man-2099-series-drawn-by-simone
ImageImageImageImageImage

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 859 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:54 pm

This was a pretty solid issue. I'm intrigued by the fact that Miguel (Michael) O'Hara is stranded in the past and I love the fact that despite all of Spock's evil machinations, Peter keeps finding away to climb his way out of the rubble. Unfortunately, this issue sort of confirms what I was worried about from the start with this series which is that when Peter does finally return, he will be starting over from square one. Horizon is gone, Mary Jane is gone, and his spot on the Avengers is almost gone. :-(

Oh well, I'll probably pick this book back up around the start of Goblin War.

Evan Meadow wrote:If you looked at Bleeding Cool yesterday, supposedly a Spidey 2099 series has already been announced, being drawn by Simone Bianchi.

:smt078

sdsichero wrote:Not to say there isn't one in the works, but the official line says...

http://brevoortformspring.tumblr.com/post/64294901397/was-there-a-spider-man-2099-series-drawn-by-simone

Good. As much as I want a new Spider-Man 2099 series, I wouldn't want it drawn by Bianchi.
ImageImageImage

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand