Advertisement

UncannyX-men #13 (Battle of the Atom #8)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 411 posts
Title: Self Important

UncannyX-men #13 (Battle of the Atom #8)

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:24 pm

Remember how I said it would take a lot to tank this crossover? Well Chris Bachalo did his best with this issue. This maybe my last issue of Uncanny I can't handle anymore of Bachalo's double page story telling splash pages they slow things down and there are way too many flaws in what's happening.

Anyway, we finally have an issue where things get done but the last few slowed down just enough to make me wish Wood was never involved in this story and instead of being 10 issues the story was 8.

Either way I am very happy to have Jason Aaron finishing the story out and then I can just read Aaron X-men books and All new X-men and be happy.

Oh yeah and Colossus and Magik Kill Xaiver and Molly Hayes.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Advertisement

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Re: UncannyX-men #13 (Battle of the Atom #8)

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:54 pm

Also, that's Wiccan not Cloak or whoever else we all thought it was.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

- Les Paul

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 104 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:06 am

‘Battle Of The Atom’ continues to kick a whole lot of ass, and whilst I don’t think Chris Bachalo’s style is particularly suited to a story with so many characters to follow in big action scenes (I do like Bachalo, but at times this issue was confusing), the story from Bendis here was very well-written, and big, big stuff happened here.

We open with Cyclops’ team (the newbies were left behind) and the good future X-Men about to attack the Jean Grey school, only for the bad future X-Men to attack them, and for Raze, the Wolverine/Mystique hybrid to take off with OG Iceman and Beast. I do like how subtle the writers have been in this story about naming who the future X-Men are, we only find out their names when it’s necessary, like when we find out that the Sorcerer Supreme of the future is Wiccan from the Young Avengers. I fucking hate Wiccan as a character, but the fact that these details come up organically means that every issue of this crossover has a nice surprising moment of discovery at least, in amongst the other madness.

The battle begins in earnest, with Phoenix-Quire taking on the Ice Giant, and Magik and Colossus teaming up to fight Deadpool and Molly Hayes. I wonder what it was that caused Molly to go evil? Her role in this dystopian future is fascinating to me, perhaps it’s caused by Avengers Arena? Anywas, the Rasputins win, with Magik gutting Molly with her sword and teleporting Deadpool to a great height. Cyclops’ team come face to face with Evil Xavier, and he mind-controls Krakoa to eat them, whilst Jean-Xorn mind-controls Magik to try and make her kill herself. Colossus kills Xavier, freeing the Uncanny team, but then, the issue takes a very surprising turn.

The evil future X-Men have all of the original team together, and are about to send them back… but it doesn’t work. Raze goes back in disguise, and it works for him, but for some reason the Original Five can’t. The time-stream has been changed too much for them to safely return. It’s a great ending, and whilst the rules of time-travel make my brain hurt, it seems to make sense, as well as giving a good explanation for why these characters are sticking around after the crossover. The issue ends with the good X-Men confronting the bad X-Men, and oh man, it is on for the last 2 issues.

Bendis and Wood have done good work on this story, but now it’s time for Jason Aaron to wrap things up, I can’t wait. This was a decent issue, mainly because of how much happened in the fight and the deaths of some of the villains, but also in how it continued to drop little hints about the future. This is just a great story, and even Bachalo’s art being an awkward fit can’t derail that.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1445 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:43 pm

Punchy wrote:I wonder what it was that caused Molly to go evil? Her role in this dystopian future is fascinating to me, perhaps it’s caused by Avengers Arena?

I think the fact that Wolverine doesn't recognize her, even though they have met several times is a subtle hint of what happens to her. She continues to be a runaway but after losing so many of her friends because of Avengers Arena, she is left alone. Without a group of individuals who care about her, she loses her moral compass and ends up falling in with the Brotherhood. I wouldn't mind seeing Molly brought to either Scott or Logan's schools as a result of this crossover.

The evil future X-Men have all of the original team together, and are about to send them back… but it doesn’t work. Raze goes back in disguise, and it works for him, but for some reason the Original Five can’t.

After this issue and the last, Raze is easily my least favorite part of Battle of the Atom but I did like the fact that he made a critical mistake here. When he returned to the present, he made a comment that he spent a few minutes in the past and that Xavier wasn't aware of his presence. If he spent enough time in the past to observe what Charles Xavier was up to then I think it's safe to assume that Xavier had enough time to become aware of his presence and possibly read his mind. It's possible that the original Xavier now knows where his students are and what they are up to.
ImageImageImage

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:58 pm

I would say not because if he's Mystiques son then he couldn't read her mind either.

- Les Paul

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1445 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:17 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:I would say not because if he's Mystiques son then he couldn't read her mind either.

You don't really expect Bendis to know or adhere to that, do you? :P
ImageImageImage

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand