Advertisement

Doc Seismic Is Back! Kind of. Invincible #106

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 360 posts

Postby LOLtron » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:00 am

A normal family dinner on the moon.

Invincible #106 is a personal issue focusing on Invincible’s family learning a rather large secret while simultaneously following Battle Beast in battle. Written by creator Robert Kirkman, with longtime collaborators Ryan Ottley on pencils, Cliff Rathburn on inks and John Rauch on colors, we get a nice contrast between the big fight scenes and the intimate moments in Mark’s life.

This issue is bookended with sections dedicated to Battle Beast. Kirkman has written a pretty one-note character here, but hit that note well he does. Also, it never gets old seeing Battle Beast decapitate a foe using a mace. This issue tells the story of Invincible’s family all gathered on their moon base and the peaceful evening they are having. At the mention of a life changing event between Invincible and Atom Eve, it leads to Invincible and Omni-Man arm wrestling to see who is strongest. There are also a few choice scenes with Doc Seismic that start off funny, which I thought was a good departure from the main storyline from Kirkman, but they quickly turn dark.

The combination of Ottley and Rathburn on pencils and inks, respectively, are great with the amount of detail they show and excel in facial expressions. One page has ten panels of facial close ups ranging from happiness to anger, and each one stands on its own. Rauch's coloring is concise and clean, and the brutal scenes featuring Battle Beast are appropriately blood red.

There are numerous large panels throughout the issue which, while artistically gorgeous, from a writing standpoint, seem to shorten the story as you’re merely reading a few lines each page. However, I did enjoy the double splash of Invincible and Omni-Man intensely arm wrestling while Mark’s Mom and Atom Eve are carefree in the background. The final shot of Battle Beast with a shit-eating grin on his face is great too as he’s told who his next target will be.

Overall, this is a pretty slow issue with not much advancing of the plot, except for right at the end, meaning it would be a decent spot for a new reader to jump into, but beware, for the reveal of Battle Beast’s next target implies that Invincible is ramping up to another thrilling fight!

Written or Contributed by Tim Midura

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 109 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Re: Doc Seismic Is Back! Kind of. Invincible #106

Postby Punchy » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:39 am

Another typically strong issue of Invincible, and whilst the various plot threads are moving slowly, there are a lot of them, so you don’t feel short-changed, and as a bonus, this issue features the return of some familiar faces.

Doc Seismic is back, and I can’t remember the last time we saw him, but I am intrigued as to where he’s going, as he’s attacked by some mysterious lava-wielder, and seemingly given some new powers. Who knows when this will pay off, it could be next month, or it could be in 2 years, that’s the greatness of Invincible, there are so many subplots out there, just waiting to explode.

Also returning is BATTLE BEAST, who opens the issue by slaughtering some aliens, and then picking up a hot alien babe. The character of Battle Beast is so hilariously over the top, you have to love it, and it’s clear that Kirkman loves him too, because we are going to see Battle Beast hunt down Thragg, which should be amazing.

Closer to home, Mark and Eve have dinner with Mark’s parents, and Eve’s pregnancy is revealed, and it causes a whole lot of drama, particularly because Eve still doesn’t really trust Nolan. I love how this title can go from intergalactic Lion-dudes covered in blood and guts, to awkward dinner parties, from the completely out there, to the totally relatable. Even if that dinner party does take place on the Moon. In the course of conversation, Mark brings up that he now thinks he’s stronger than his dad, so they have an arm-wrestling contest, which is just… brilliant. It’s classic playground ‘who would win in a fight’ stuff, but because this is Kirkman’s own universe, he can actually do it, and whilst it’s a lot of fun, the question Mark raises about whether strength determines the Viltrumite ruler gives it an undercurrent of seriousness and meaning.

What else? Oh yeah, Robot has a secret room he’s hiding from Monster Girl, from the cover to next issue, it looks like it’s going to be a prison for her kid, but you never know.
This book is just consistently good, Ottley’s art is great, and even on quieter issues like this, Kirkman will surprise you, whether it’s by bringing back the likes of Battle Beast and Doc Seismic, or not being afraid to have a silly arm-wrestle, it’s a pleasure to read every month, even though you know a blood-bath is just around the corner.

GOSD
Everybody lies!

Liked in: 357 posts
Title: Lick me!
Formerly: Ghost of Scooterdoom

Re: Doc Seismic Is Back! Kind of. Invincible #106

Postby GOSD » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:55 pm

I'm curious to see how Battle Beast does against Thragg. Thragg tossed him aside last time so I wonder if BB has a shot at even hurting Thragg.

Love this book. Always at the top of my reading list when it comes out.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand