Advertisement

Wonder Woman #24 (A new, enlightened Olympian age Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Shitlord

Wonder Woman #24 (A new, enlightened Olympian age Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:02 am

First off, how awesome is the cover to this issue? Cliff Chiang’s covers are pretty much always great, but this one may be the best yet, it’s just so fucking metal (well duh, it’s a Frazetta homage), and nicely reflective of Wonder Woman’s new status as the God Of War.

And that’s what this issue is mostly about, reflecting that massive change in Wonder Woman’s life. With the First Born defeated, Apollo is finally starting to take charge of Olympus, and so he calls a meeting of the whole Pantheon, but there’s one seat empty… War’s. Wonder Woman is back in London, buying a new house for herself, Zola and Hera. I was amused by the implication that Diana and Orion may share a bed, I know this book isn’t going to reflect the Superman romance, but I expected it to just ignore it, not outright refute it. It’s great to see Azzarello just do his own thing and not give a fuck about the rest of the DCU.

I also really liked Hera’s role in this issue, she wants to display Lennox’s severed head on the mantelpiece, and her breakdown at really, truly realising she was mortal was actually rather touching. Azzarello really has done a great job at turning her from a villain into someone sympathetic, without being obvious about it, and he looks to be doing the same thing with Hermes. who shows up to take Wonder Woman to Olympus, and the conversation she has with Apollo is fascinating, with Diana not yet fully accepting her role as God Of War, and even asking for Apollo to restore Hera, which he refuses.

This book has become really quite complex, with so many different villains up against Wonder Woman. There’s Apollo of course, and the other Gods around him who are not to be trusted, and tied up in the middle is the First Born, who you just know is going to escape. Throw into that Cassandra, who it turns out is the woman with the robotic neck who freed the First Born, and who in this issue attacks Milan for some unknown reason, perhaps to steal his powers of prophecy?

This issue was mainly set-up for the next stage of Azzarello’s story, but it was necessary, intriguing set-up, and I can’t wait to see what the various villains arrayed against Diana have planned.

The artwork here is from Goran Sudzuka, and whilst it’s always a shame when Chiang can’t draw an issue, they have similar styles, and he gets the tone just as well. And hey, at least we got that cover.

Advertisement

Chessack
Garbage Collector

Liked in: 3 posts
Title: Kara Zor-El's biggest fan

Re: Wonder Woman #24 (A new, enlightened Olympian age Spoile

Postby Chessack » Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:37 pm

Punchy wrote:It’s great to see Azzarello just do his own thing and not give a fuck about the rest of the DCU.

I agree with you.

But what I can't figure out is why DC is letting him get away with it. It's not as though WW's sales are all that great month to month. Batgirl has consistently out-sold WW and DC has messed with Gail repeatedly on that series. So why are they leaving Azzarello completely alone?

I mean don't get me wrong. I like the series and I think this is one of the few well-done series of the New 52 for the whole 2 years. Every issue is solidly written. But quality has never been a consideration for DC in any other capacity, so why, in this ONE case, are they letting Azzarello have a free hand? I keep wondering about that. And worrying that sooner or later the imbeci - er, editors, are going to step in and "fix" it.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 0 post
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Re: Wonder Woman #24 (A new, enlightened Olympian age Spoile

Postby Juan Cena » Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:32 pm

Chessack wrote:
I agree with you.

But what I can't figure out is why DC is letting him get away with it. It's not as though WW's sales are all that great month to month. Batgirl has consistently out-sold WW and DC has messed with Gail repeatedly on that series. So why are they leaving Azzarello completely alone?

I mean don't get me wrong. I like the series and I think this is one of the few well-done series of the New 52 for the whole 2 years. Every issue is solidly written. But quality has never been a consideration for DC in any other capacity, so why, in this ONE case, are they letting Azzarello have a free hand? I keep wondering about that. And worrying that sooner or later the imbeci - er, editors, are going to step in and "fix" it.

Does this look like a guy you really want to p!ss off?

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand