Advertisement

Review: Dream Reavers #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 167 posts

Review: Dream Reavers #1

Postby LOLtron » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:49 am

Geek Readers take a look at a small press comic: Dream Reavers #1 from Ape Entertainment.

Comic Review Cover

Credits & Solicit Info:

Writer: Raphael Moran
Art: Marc Borstel
Guest Art: Atul Bakshi & David Hedmark
Letters: E.T. Dollman
Publisher: Ape Entertainment

Review:

Dream Reavers has been one of the more pleasant surprises for me in comics these last couple of weeks.  We all get so comfortable with the heroes we know and the books and writers we've followed for years that breaking through that wall can sometimes be a challenge.  If you are like me and keep an eye out for interesting new stories to follow, I'd recommend checking with your shop about getting hold of this series for you.

~ Spoiler Warning ~
It starts off in a mental hospital following a young man, Marcus, who has been put there by his father for overdosing on sleeping pills.  The dialogue pushes the story forward, sometimes feeling a bit unnatural, but it's a small price to pay for a story that actually moves along and doesn't drag out a small scene into a dozen pages.  Marcus passes out, and now we enter the real world of the Dream Reavers and are introduced to the characters who play roles in this story.  A young blind woman from Bolivia, Sophia, who people believe is a saint because she appears in their dreams; a spoiled rich girl, Nyla, who seems to have the power to make people do as she tells them; and Aaron, who Marcus runs into in the dreamworld and causes him a bit of mischief.

I really enjoyed the way the art changed between dreams - the regular art had a more lifelike feel to it, so it was nice jumping through a couple variations of art as they passed through different dream worlds.  Marcus seems to know his way around the dreamworld the best as he causes trouble for Aaron, but eventually Aaron chases Marcus down. Although he seems to know more than the average dreamer, Aaron doesn't know what he is really in store for as he gets dumped on the Astral Plane.

Here, Aaron runs into Sophia, who is just as confused as he about where they are or what they should do next.  We get a glimpse of someone following them before the books jumps back to Marcus in the real world, laying in a coma as his Dad continues to fret over his condition.  The book leaves us with the image of Aaron being wheeled out in a catatonic state by his mother past Marcus' father.

I really enjoyed the concept of this book.  I'd highly recommend any comic reader to give it a try, it has elements of both the superhero and fantasy.  Check out their Facebook Fanpage for more info: Dream Reavers Fanpage.

Review from thegeekreaders.com

Review by: Jeremy Shane

http://www.theouthousers.com/index.php/reviews/comics-reviews/17053-review-dream-reavers-1.html/
Last edited by LOLtron on Thu May 17, 2012 12:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: JFusion Discussion Bot UPDATE

Advertisement

Raph M.
FACEBOOKTron

Liked in: 111 posts
Title: DOCILE ROBOT

RE: Review: Dream Reavers #1

Postby Raph M. » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:55 pm

Thanks for the great review.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand