Advertisement

S.H.I.E.L.D. Dossiers - S01E04: Eye Spy

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 147 posts

S.H.I.E.L.D. Dossiers - S01E04: Eye Spy

Postby LOLtron » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:40 am

S.H.I.E.L.D. Dossiers -  S01E04: Eye Spy

Thoughts and Easter eggs about the latest episode of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Welcome to S.H.I.E.L.D. Dossiers, a weekly look back at some of the Easter eggs from ABC's new series Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. If you've read Arrow Annotations, our weekly look at CW's Arrow show, you'll have a basic idea of what this column is about. While this won't be a comprehensive collection of Easter eggs and references to the comics/movies (I'm going to skip some of the more obvious references), I will do my darndest to catch as many as I can.

Here we go!

[Note:  I watched this episode at 5 AM this morning, so my observational skills might have been a bit impacted due to tiredness.  I've done my best, but I didn't find too much to talk about this week.]

Roxann Dawson - This episode was directed by Roxann Dawson, who Star Trek fans might recognize as B'Elanna Torres from Star Trek: Voyager.   She's previously directed episodes of Lost, Heroes and Caprica.  

Sergel Square, Stockholm -  Marvel's Agents of SHIELD continues to be set in real world locations.  Sergel Square is a central public square of Stockholm.  Swedes traditionally celebrate at the fountain of Sergel Square after national sports victories.  

On a related note, a person on Reddit took a lot of time to explain how the show's depiction of the square was not at all like real life.  Because television shows featuring alien technology should really get the details of Swedish train station entrances right.  

No ESP - I thought it was interesting that the show went out of its way to eliminate telepathy and ESP from their world, considering the comic books have a Psi-Division consisting solely of telepaths and psychics.

Akela Amador - She's a character specifically created for the TV show.  You might recognize her voice if you've played the Grand Theft Auto series, though.  She played a DJ in both Grand Theft Auto 4 and Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories.

Coulson's Collection - Here's some screenshots of Coulson's collection of stuff.  I didn't see anything of note, but maybe you could piece something together.   (Thanks to Reddit user Bird_internet for these).

Zhores Alferov - Simmons mentions that Zloda, Belarus (totally made up town, by the way) is close to the birthplace of Zhores Alferov, the father of heterostructure physics and electronics.   His work on the heterotransistor revolutionized mobile phones and satellite communication, and also led to the modernization of LED technology and CDs.  He was awarded the Nobel Prize in Physics in 2000.

Cybernetic eyes - There are plenty of Marvel characters with cybernetic eyes, including Cable, Revanche and Crossfire.  

That weird lettering on the chalkboard - Frankly, this is the only real Easter Egg this episode.  That's Skrull lettering, as developed by Chris Eliopoulos for Marvel's Secret Invasion event back in 2009.  Here's a full alphabet for the interested.  However, don't get too excited about translating the chalkboard.  It's all letter sequences (cde, klmn) and gibberish. 

Like I said, it's gibberish. 

However, this does give us an opportunity to talk about the Skrulls, a longtime foe of the Avengers and general scourge upon the Marvel universe.  First introduced in Fantastic Four #2, the Skrulls are a race of shapeshifters that view Earth as a sort of promised land, and have often tried to infiltrate the Earth for their own means.  They've faced off against the Kree Empire (which are due to appear in Guardians of the Galaxy) and also have select warriors that can mimic the powers of Earth's superheroes.  

The Chitauri (the aliens from The Avengers) were originally conceived in The Ultimates as a modernized version of the Skrulls, so its possible that Whedon is borrowing their langauge as well. 

The Englishman - Dominic Burgess, who played the Englishman, previously played a cop in the Narrows in Batman Begins.  

And that's all I found this week.  On a side note, this was probably the best episode so far, don't you think?

Written or Contributed by ThanosCopter

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

Cat Scratch
FACEBOOKTron

Liked in: 99 posts
Title: DOCILE ROBOT

RE: S.H.I.E.L.D. Dossiers - S01E04: Eye Spy

Postby Cat Scratch » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:06 pm

I thought they had established the Chitauri as a splinter race of the Skrulls, same as the Dire Wraiths?

alaska1125
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 88 posts

Re: S.H.I.E.L.D. Dossiers - S01E04: Eye Spy

Postby alaska1125 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:22 pm

I really want to love this show, but it's starting to lose me. This week was really a ho-hum affair.

Supersoldier Washout
Garbage Collector

Liked in: 144 posts
Location: I can't really say. I'm currently what they call "AWOL" from S.H.I.E.L.D.
Title: Will Fight for Beer

Postby Supersoldier Washout » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:28 pm

I was rather bored with last night's episode.

Daniel Wood
FACEBOOKTron

Postby Daniel Wood » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:17 pm

when Skye was hacking the feed in the van early on I believe I saw the name "Weasel" on screen? I know a Deadpool connection is unlikely but seemed interesting...

xshane666x
Mad Hatter

Liked in: 0 post

Postby xshane666x » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:19 pm

I'm suffering through this snoozer right now....I wanted to love this show, but I can't....it's lame

avengingtitan
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 124 posts

Postby avengingtitan » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:39 am

I thought it was a fun story to be honest. It wasn't ground breaking but I love that they are starting to set up later villains. Sure there are things that are wrong with it but its damn fun.
Checkout my new Ebay Store.
Comics, Video Games, Action Figures, Pokemon Cards, Yu-Gi-Oh Cards, Disney Infinity, and Skylanders
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pennsylvanias_best_comics

Belle Tain-Summer
FACEBOOKTron

Postby Belle Tain-Summer » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:16 pm

I know this is evil of me, but I just hope that Phil goes behind that damn fine bar, opens the refrigerator door to grab a coke and Skye and the girl science bunny's corpse comes rolling out at some point (then he grabs a coke and walks away coolly because fridging only works when you give a damn about the characters in there). I swear every time those two opened their mouths I had to resist the urge to hurl something heavy through the tv.

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 372 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Re: RE: S.H.I.E.L.D. Dossiers - S01E04: Eye Spy

Postby The Old Doctor » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:24 pm

FBtron wrote:I know this is evil of me, but I just hope that Phil goes behind that damn fine bar, opens the refrigerator door to grab a coke and Skye and the girl science bunny's corpse comes rolling out at some point (then he grabs a coke and walks away coolly because fridging only works when you give a damn about the characters in there). I swear every time those two opened their mouths I had to resist the urge to hurl something heavy through the tv.

Yes that is evil.

But more evil would be giving girl science bunny to our poster Psivage.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

alaska1125
Motherfucker from Hell

Postby alaska1125 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:38 am

avengingtitan wrote:I thought it was a fun story to be honest. It wasn't ground breaking but I love that they are starting to set up later villains. Sure there are things that are wrong with it but its damn fun.

Really? I find it's less fun and more a chore just to make it through the hour. They really, really need to step up their game.

avengingtitan
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby avengingtitan » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:51 am

alaska1125 wrote:Really? I find it's less fun and more a chore just to make it through the hour. They really, really need to step up their game.

I've been looking at it like it was the first season of smallville or buffy. They take a few episodes to really get to know the characters and the worldn, while at the same time having them fight crime. I mean we already have two supervillains out there. I have faith it'll get better.
Comics, Video Games, Action Figures, Pokemon Cards, Yu-Gi-Oh Cards, Disney Infinity, and Skylanders

avengingtitan
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby avengingtitan » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:51 am

alaska1125 wrote:Really? I find it's less fun and more a chore just to make it through the hour. They really, really need to step up their game.

I've been looking at it like it was the first season of smallville or buffy. They take a few episodes to really get to know the characters and the worldn, while at the same time having them fight crime. I mean we already have two supervillains out there. I have faith it'll get better.

squatters
A Quagmire

Liked in: 0 post

Postby squatters » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:59 am

can any brake down why this show is so lame is it because the acting and story is so poor! never going to get a second season!

alaska1125
Motherfucker from Hell

Postby alaska1125 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:49 pm

squatters wrote:can any brake down why this show is so lame is it because the acting and story is so poor! never going to get a second season!

I suspect a second season is a given based on the Disney/Marvel/ABC symmetry. Look...this show should be a given for me. It's dispiriting that it seems mired in mediocrity. Fun? Outside of a SLJ cameo and Lola, not so far.
I have hopes for this show, but they diminish by the week.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 589 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:37 pm

"Eye Spy" was a vast improvement over the previous episodes of this series, I just wish that they would spend a little more time working on the characters that are permanent additions to the cast. I shouldn't be more invested in the guest stars than I am in half of the main cast. Stop making Fitz and Simmons so quirky and give me a reason to care about them. Stop making Ward such a know it all and make him a little more human. Give us something that makes these characters feel real instead of caricatures of other characters.
ImageImageImage

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The Asylum