Advertisement

What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1079 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Grayson » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:08 pm

My LCS had a lot of new trades and hardcovers on their half price table today. Unfortunately, I only had a chance to glance at the top of the pile because some genius brought his clearly sick child into the store with him and he was coughing, sneezing, and manhandling everything he could get his hands on. :smt013

Moving to a new apartment next weekend and a couple of good deals on used trades isn't worth getting sick.
ImageImageImage

Advertisement

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:28 pm

Reading Kelly Green by Stan Drake & Leonard Starr. Such beautifully rendered and colored panels.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 107 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:55 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:Image

Reading Kelly Green by Stan Drake & Leonard Starr. Such beautifully rendered and colored panels.

Oh my! That sure brought some memories. I've read a couple of Kelly Green stories ages ago. In a European magazine, Totem, probably.

LobsterJ
Great Scott!!!

Liked in: 80 posts

Postby LobsterJ » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:55 pm

Read Hawkeye vol 2 from the library. Lord do I wish they had a good writer on this, the art is just stunning.

adamiani
Snake On A Plane

Liked in: 8 posts

Postby adamiani » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:11 pm

No new singles for me this week, so I picked up volumes 2 and 3 of "Locke and Key".

Feels, to me, a lot like "Lost" did on TV or "Morning Glories Academy" does -- one of those 'there's lots of weirdness going on, and we only see bits and angles and can't quite piece it all together' series.

Except... strangely, I get the impression he's not actually playing total Calvinball-- like Hill's *actually* worked out what's going on behind the scenes and what happened in the past that left so many scars in the present. I guess with the series weeks away from its final issue, other people probably know if it actually pays off or not, but I'm mostly-enjoying it so far.

And Rodriguez's art looks like nobody else publishing today.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:44 pm

I'm reading this:
It's so good. Bloody brilliant.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 377 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:56 am

Read the mini-comics Squid mailed me.

I liked the Nix mini-comix. Everyone loves Bus Stop Ned. I had to lead a group discussion on graphic novels and just so happened to have Squid's envelope in my bag so I showed everyone these comics. They really liked them.

The GN Closing Doors was nice even though the end felt a bit abrupt. I liked the idea behind it but niche record stores are kind of interesting these days. The ones I know of are doing quite well at least now. Still, it was a bleak and sad story.

Duh Studge was really annoying. I liked the Ragged Rider one because it was cute and quite SCUD-like.

squatters
A Quagmire

Liked in: 0 post

Postby squatters » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:53 am

Currently reading age of ultron hardcover :P

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:52 pm

squatters wrote:Currently reading age of ultron hardcover :P

I read issue #1 and I liked it. Plus I'm a Hitch fan.

LobsterJ
Great Scott!!!

Postby LobsterJ » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:59 pm

Young Avengers vol 1. is the absolute drizzling shits. I did need to stop reading shit just because the library has it.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:00 pm

adamiani wrote:No new singles for me this week, so I picked up volumes 2 and 3 of "Locke and Key".

Feels, to me, a lot like "Lost" did on TV or "Morning Glories Academy" does -- one of those 'there's lots of weirdness going on, and we only see bits and angles and can't quite piece it all together' series.

Except... strangely, I get the impression he's not actually playing total Calvinball-- like Hill's *actually* worked out what's going on behind the scenes and what happened in the past that left so many scars in the present. I guess with the series weeks away from its final issue, other people probably know if it actually pays off or not, but I'm mostly-enjoying it so far.

And Rodriguez's art looks like nobody else publishing today.

Yeah, I like his style. Locke and Key always has good art.

LobsterJ
Great Scott!!!

Postby LobsterJ » Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:43 pm

If anybody is reading the Unwritten still "Tommy Taylor and the Ship That Sank Twice" is excellent. I need to dig up Mike Carey's X-men stuff because he is excellent on this and Lucifer was also great.

LobsterJ
Great Scott!!!

Postby LobsterJ » Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:38 pm

I was okay through most of Hickman's FF run but I got to the first few volumes of Future Foundation and I am lost. Did I just not pay enough attention or is this drawing from stuff outside his run? I am thinking maybe War of Kings?

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 234 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Postby nietoperz » Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:42 pm

The bookshop at Gothenburg's art museum had a big clearance sale, and I was able to pick this up for 40 SEK:

(That's about $5 or so).

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:01 pm

Read lots of stuff last week. Working my way through Battling Boy, for one thing. I like it, but I wish the book's format was larger. I know P.P. works on big sheets, it'd be nice to have larger repros of the panels.

Also:

Nick Mandaag's The Libertarian and Streakers.

http://laffdepot.blogspot.com/

Lose by Michael Deforge, recent winner of many awards. You shguld probably buy anything by him you can find.

Kus! An anthology of Latvian cartoonists...still working my way through that one on the can in the mornings.

St. Cole by Noah Van Sciver. Part of a larger work to come. Interesting story so far. Cole and his wife remind me a little of Jude and Amy. This is Cole's mother-in-law, she comes to live with them:

The Caterer...wow. I won't say anything more about this, but it was one of the strangest reading experiences of my comics-reading-life. People say Morrison was on drugs, man...they just don't know. I dare you to read this lost gem:

http://www.steveaylett.com/pages/caterercomic.html

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand