Advertisement

Review: Avengers: Endless Wartime

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 322 posts

Postby LOLtron » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:56 am

A review of the new original graphic novel from Warren Ellis and Mike McKone.

For those of you put off by the sprawling size of the Avengers line, Marvel may have found the answer. Avengers: Endless Wartime is a prestige format original graphic novel, with the top-notch creative team of writer Warren Ellis and artist Mike McKone offering a standalone story unconnected to any bigger picture or line-wide crossover.

The plot is thoroughly straightforward. The pasts of Captain America and Thor intersect in the present to create a threat both mythological and technologically advanced – living weapons that will completely change the face of warfare. Against the wishes of SHIELD, the Avengers task themselves with putting a stop to this threat at its source – a factory located on a mysterious Norwegian island.

The plot doubles as a non-too-subtle attack on the US government’s use of drones, casting a harsh light on the kind of thinking that allows a country to slaughter people in such a removed manner. SHIELD isn’t quite presented as the bad guy, but at best is portrayed as a morally dubious organization willing to utilize barbaric weaponry if it reduces casualties on its side. This “by any means necessary” mindset and the military-industrial complex in general are the true villains of the piece.

Yet the decision to publish the story as an original graphic novel is perhaps of greatest interest. The format allows the creative team to make storytelling decisions that wouldn’t work in single issues. At the start, around 15 pages take place in the Avengers Tower kitchen, which would be ludicrously decompressed for a monthly title but here serves as a way of establishing character dynamics and delivering necessary exposition. The reader can afford to be patient, knowing that the action is bound to pick up in subsequent pages.

This freedom also applies to the art, with McKone’s action scenes benefitting from having room to breathe. In particular, a flashback to World War II is beautifully executed, with several pages used to depict Cap’s actions in minute detail, highlighting both the gravity of the situation and the unparalleled skillset of the man. This unhurried approach pays dividends, resulting in some of McKone's finest work.

The story fits neatly into the current Marvel universe. The portrayal of Captain America is in keeping with the emotionally adrift version depicted in the most recent issue of his solo title, and Cap’s and Wolverine’s relationship feels true to their interactions in Uncanny Avengers. Clint Barton is the lovable doofus of the critically acclaimed Hawkeye series, and Bruce Banner is working for SHIELD but isn’t a very co-operative employee.

If there’s an area in which the creative team have taken liberties, it’s the interpersonal relationships. A certain amount of tension is natural between super-powered individuals with vastly different outlooks on life, yet in Avengers: Endless Wartime it reads more like hatred. Indeed, it’s so striking that at times it takes you out of the story; it almost feels as though Ellis is expressing his own personal disdain for the characters. This isn’t a thematic device, nor does it factor into the plot in any notable manner. Charitably, you could suggest that the enmity arises from a range of ideological beliefs concerning the rights and wrongs of war. However, if that was the intention the idea isn’t executed clearly enough to succeed.

Further, the fact that the villains are so steeped in symbolism detracts from their usefulness as antagonists. They’re not an interesting threat, merely sentient beings for the Avengers to wail on. The identities of the true masterminds are touched upon in passing, but the moment is so fleeting that it doesn't have much of an impact, not helped by the fact that their fate is dealt with off-panel.

Yet despite these flaws, Avengers: Endless Wartime has plenty to recommend. It may not be the most compelling read of the year, but it is a worthwhile alternative to the grandiose scope of Jonathan Hickman’s empire-spanning Avengers stories and Brian Michael Bendis’ street-level focus. McKone’s art is fantastic, with a strong emphasis on character and the best version of the Hulk in years. The cast are utilized well; strong versions of Captain America, Captain Marvel and Thor are front and center, but even peripheral characters Wolverine and Bruce Banner both get great scenes. And the thematic resonance adds an extra layer of complexity, elevating the book above the usual superhero fare. Definitely worth checking out. 

Written or Contributed by Kristian Jackson

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

GHERU

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 431 posts

Re: Review: Avengers: Endless Wartime

Postby GHERU » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:30 pm

This was awful, one of the worst Avegners books I've read in a while.

The characterization made me dislike every Avenger as a whiny bitch, and they actively disliked each other.

The art was stiff, boring, and downright ugly in many places, much like the story itself.

I cannot stress this enough, do not read this, do not buy it on clearance, steal it, or get it from the library. Even "free" you waste precious life energy reading the drivel.

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 103 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:49 pm

GHERU wrote:The characterization made me dislike every Avenger as a whiny bitch, and they actively disliked each other.

A good portion of the dialogue consisted of bad jokes, and some surprisingly mean-spirited dialogue.

Regardless, I thought it was okay.

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 141 posts

Postby MrBlack » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:46 am

I finally got to take a quick look at the book.

GHERU, you're right. The art is downright awful in places. McKone is generally pretty good, but it looks like the inker just utterly botched a few panels. Disappointing.

The characters were definitely written by Ellis, and there is a strong undercurrent of misanthropy through the entire book. That said, it seemed an accurate enough depiction of what an actual group like this would be like. Setting aside my prior experiences with these characters in other media, I was okay with their depictions here. It's not something I would read every month (that's why I eventually gave up on Millar's Ultimates), but for a single graphic novel it was fine.

HNutz
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 857 posts

Postby HNutz » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:18 pm

GHERU wrote:This was awful, one of the worst Avegners books I've read in a while.

The characterization made me dislike every Avenger as a whiny bitch, and they actively disliked each other.

The art was stiff, boring, and downright ugly in many places, much like the story itself.

I cannot stress this enough, do not read this, do not buy it on clearance, steal it, or get it from the library. Even "free" you waste precious life energy reading the drivel.

This.

The art is a far, far cry from McKone's work on Exiles. It's bland, dull, just poor in general.

The writing... all of the Avengers feel out of character and hateful towards each other, it felt dull, the antagonists were poorly dealt with...

Not a good use of time or money.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand