Advertisement

GL: New Guardians #24 (Nok Nok Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 73 posts
Title: Shitlord

GL: New Guardians #24 (Nok Nok Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:49 am

‘Lights Out’ continues to be a very enjoyable ride, as crazy shit continues to happen.
Justin Jordan picks up right after the destruction of Oa, as Kyle, Hal and the rest try to work out what to do next. Hal wants to go right back after Relic, but he is dissuaded from doing so by Paalko, the lead new Guardian. Hal then decides that the best plan of action would be to head over to Ysmault and get the Red Lanterns on side, which makes sense I guess, they haven’t been weakened by Relic, and apparently their powers don’t only spring from the Rings, but magic too. Plus Guy Gardner is undercover there. I don’t read Red Lanterns, so don’t ask me what’s going on there.

But before that can happen, the Rainbow Pokemon that are the Entities (well, all of them except Red and Yellow) arrive, and zap themselves into Kyle for some reason. Kyle gets a snazzy new look (which I’m sure will be a new action figure in 5, 4, 3, 2…) and starts to fly off to parts unknown. Hal tries to attack Entity-Kyle with the Corps, but they just zap everyone to Ysmault, which is both convenient and inconvenient at the same time. Luckily for Kyle, the Guardians weren’t zapped, and they are able to help free him, and we discover that my Pokemon analogy for the Entities is not just me being a snarky dick, as each Entity is able to defeat another one, like Rock/Paper/Scissors, or like Pokemon, and whilst there’s normally balance, because Red and Yellow aren’t there (I loved the ominous mention of Sinestro in this issue, it’s going to be so great when he returns), Kyle can make them defeat one another and escape. But when he escapes, he knows what they knew, and it’s a shocker… Relic is right, and they don’t need to stop him, they need to help him! That’s a great moment right there, and whilst I’m sure we will eventually find out that Relic isn’t actually right, it’s still great to have that seed of doubt.

In the other subplot, John Stewart’s team make their way to the Indigo Tribe, and whilst that scene was mainly just moving stuff into place, I did like the ‘Nok Nok’ joke, very fun, in a story that is very dark. Brad Walker’s artwork was once again very impressive, he’s very underrated, and here he manages to make things that are ridiculous, actually look good, as well as make everything look suitably space-operatic.

This is a good book, and a strong crossover, but I do still feel that we haven’t been given a chance to see what Justin Jordan can really do with Kyle Rayner, ever since his run started, we’ve had nothing but set-up for Lights Out, and now the actual story. I can’t wait to see what this team can do when telling their own, separate story.

Advertisement

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 323 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Re: GL: New Guardians #24 (Nok Nok Spoilers)

Postby IvCNuB4 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:02 am

Brad Walker delivered some really nice art this issue.
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

syxxpakk
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 111 posts
Title: The Wrasslin' Fan

Postby syxxpakk » Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:50 pm

Don't forget the all-important statement by the Entities: Relic isn't the one weakening them. THE PLOT THICKENS~! As far as the Red Lanterns coming from magic as well, that's pretty well-known if you read Red Lanterns.

When you're as good as Chael, you can only call out people worse than you.

@syxxpakk on the Twitter.

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 323 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:58 pm

Plus Guy Gardner is undercover there. I don’t read Red Lanterns, so don’t ask me what’s going on there.

A few issues ago in "Green Lantern" Hal sent Guy undercover to infiltrate the Reds to gather intel. The plan was that once Guy got what Hal needed they would use St Walker to extract Guy and purge the Red ring and it's effects from him. But before that could happen Relic wiped out all the Blues (except St Walker) and their Power Battery so now Guy is stuck there and has been overcome by the power of Red.
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Draco x
FROGMAN

Liked in: 310 posts

Postby Draco x » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:38 pm

The Pokemon analogy is funny.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand