Advertisement

Hawkeye #13 ("Incorrigible" Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 65 posts
Title: Shitlord

Hawkeye #13 ("Incorrigible" Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:51 am

After what seems like fucking years, Hawkguy finally returns! And it was… only OK. This book is always entertaining and different, but I really do feel that it’s spinning its wheels.

Grills was killed in #9, and only know does Clint find that out and things start moving forward. This issue basically covers the exact same time period as issues #10, #11 and the first few pages of the Annual. Whilst it is pretty innovative and cool to see all of these events from so many different perspectives, especially seeing more and more of what was actually said in the Pizza Dog issue, it still feels very slow, and after waiting ages for this issue, the lack of momentum was a bit annoying. Hopefully, now that we’ve seen this story from all sides, we can move on.

I know this sounds like I’m being very down on this issue, but I did enjoy it. Matt Fraction’s writing of Clint Barton continues to be fantastic, and there were some truly beautiful moments in this issue. Clint going to see Grills’ dad, Clint’s bizarre dream sequence, Kate’s conversation with Clint in the funeral car, the funeral itself,and then, the final few pages when he reunites with his brother and brings him into the family. All, very good, very human moments and all the kind of things that sets this title apart from other superhero comics. The funeral scene holds the most promise for the future, as the Tracksuit Draculas watch on, with Kaziu being especially menacing.

David Aja’s artwork was, of course, excellent, and whilst this issue didn’t feature anything wildly experimental (unless a 9-panel grid is considered wildly experimental these days, I guess it is), it was just well-told and beautiful to look at.

So yeah, whilst it’s great to have this title back, I was mildly peeved by the still glacial pace. But I suppose the slow pace is the point, this is not your typical superhero title at all, and this is just another way of expressing that. I’m conflicted, but that’s a good thing. This is not a plot-based series really, so to stress about lack of movement with the plot is me slightly missing the point. As long as Fraction keeps hitting the right beats with the characters, and Aja brings the style, everything’s great. But of course, they could do all that and still not tell the same thing 5 times in a row.

Advertisement

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 859 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Re: Hawkeye #13 ("Incorrigible" Spoilers)

Postby Grayson » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:56 pm

I feel like the pacing of this series wouldn't be an issue if it wasn't having a few unfortunate delays. That being said, personally, I don't mind the pacing. If anything, I am really enjoying the fact that this series is slowly building towards what I am sure will be a very rewarding pay off. I really felt like the scene where Clint went to tell Grill's father the news about his son's murder was a particularly powerful scene that would have been washed out in the middle of some generic action scenes. Plus, I feel like the way that Fraction has chosen to tell this story has really allowed us to get to know Clint and his supporting cast in a way that usually takes years in another title. I am more invested in the Hawkeye's supporting cast than I am in any supporting cast from the current line of DC books.

As far as the artwork is concerned, David Aja is absolutely killing it on this book. I think that I will go back and reread this book again tonight but I think that Aja's work on this issue may be some of his best work to date. This book has so many good things going for it right now, that it's no wonder that it is hands down my favorite monthly title.
ImageImageImage

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 375 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:18 pm

I enjoyed this issue, It was nice to see the exact order of things from the past few issues. I do have to say that we've been jumping around time wise a lot more than I thought we had been.

Thank you Troy for the sig

Draco x
FROGMAN

Liked in: 280 posts

Postby Draco x » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:41 pm

Another good review from Punchy.

TimDrake'sDumbWings
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 2 posts
Title: I mean... ROBINS have wings...
Formerly: DOOP SPEAK

Postby TimDrake'sDumbWings » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:28 am

When did Barney become not-crazy? I'm reading through Parker's Dark Avengers on Marvel Unlimited; he seems pretty insane there, and it only took place 2 or 3 months prior to the events in Hawkeye.

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 164 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:22 am

yeah, I've been a bit confused on the whole Barney thing. he and Clint's relationship has never seemed to be one that lends toward the attitude Clint's taken in this book. Barney's whole comic existence has basically been about humiliating (and lately killing) his kid brother. yet here he just makes a phone call and Clint says come on by, move in, join the gang??? i'm willing to move past it and be entertained, but it just doesn't seem to fit to me.
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 375 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:02 pm

chap22 wrote:yeah, I've been a bit confused on the whole Barney thing. he and Clint's relationship has never seemed to be one that lends toward the attitude Clint's taken in this book. Barney's whole comic existence has basically been about humiliating (and lately killing) his kid brother. yet here he just makes a phone call and Clint says come on by, move in, join the gang??? i'm willing to move past it and be entertained, but it just doesn't seem to fit to me.

I'm glad I'm not the only one, yeah, I've been feeling that way too. I just figured I'd missed some story somewhere.

Thank you Troy for the sig

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 859 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:26 pm

chap22 wrote:yeah, I've been a bit confused on the whole Barney thing. he and Clint's relationship has never seemed to be one that lends toward the attitude Clint's taken in this book. Barney's whole comic existence has basically been about humiliating (and lately killing) his kid brother. yet here he just makes a phone call and Clint says come on by, move in, join the gang??? i'm willing to move past it and be entertained, but it just doesn't seem to fit to me.

As it turns out, Barney never really wanted to kill Clint, he just really hates Clint's costume choices. Barney is very passionate about clothing. :smt102
ImageImageImage

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand