Advertisement

S.H.I.E.L.D. Dossiers - S01E05: The Girl in the Flower Dress

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 4 posts

Postby LOLtron » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:52 am

A look at Easter Eggs and other musings from last night's episode of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Welcome to S.H.I.E.L.D. Dossiers, a weekly look back at some of the Easter eggs from ABC's new series Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. If you've read Arrow Annotations, our weekly look at CW's Arrow show, you'll have a basic idea of what this column is about. While this won't be a comprehensive collection of Easter eggs and references to the comics/movies (I'm going to skip some of the more obvious references), I will do my darndest to catch as many as I can.

Here we go!

Raina - She's a new character created for Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.  The only Raina that exists in the Marvel Universe is a saurid (a humanoid creature evolved from a dinosaur) so I don't think that's her. 

Chan Ho Yin - Another character created just for the television series.  While there are two minor Marvel supervillains named Scorch, neither of them are Chinese or share any other characteristics with Chan.  Some are claiming that this Scorch might be a version of Tommy Ng, a half-Vietnamese villain who fought Night Thrasher under the alias Scorch, but it seems unlikely.  

Agent Quan- Tzi Ma, the actor who plays Quan, has appeared in a slew of television series, including 24 and Fringe, as well as two of Jackie Chan's Rush Hour movies.  He also appeared in Dollhouse, one of Joss Whedon's earlier series.

Power Protocols - Seems as good a time as any to mention that S.H.I.E.L.D's Index and Power Protocols feel a bit similar to the Superhero Registration Act, a US law that required all people with extranormal abilities to register with the US government.  The fallout from the implimentation of this law led to Mark Millar's Civil War series, which pitted Captain America against Iron Man.

Manning, Snowden, Aaron Swartz - Miles Lydon (Skye's hacker boyfriend) mentions Pvt. Bradley/Chelsea Manning, who leaked various military and State department memos to Wikileaks, Edward Snowden, who blew the whistle on the NSA's controversial surveillance programs, and Aaron Swartz, a co-founder of reddit and founder of the RSS feed who commited suicide after being charged with a long list of crimes after he was arrested downloading JSTOR academic journals on MIT's campus.  

Centipede - The "Centipede" group from the pilot makes a return this episode, as does the evil Doctor Debbie (the redhead who Mike Peterson saved in the pilot episode).  In case you've forgotten, the Centipede project looks to combine the Extremis virus (from Iron Man 3) with gamma radiation (the kind used to create the Incredible Hulk) and elements of Dr. Erskine'sformula (which created Captain America) to create new super soldiers.

Lock Exploding Device - When Coulson, May and the S.H.I.E.L.D. team storm Centipede's Hong Kong facility, Coulson used a little device to blow the lock on one of the doors.  It's identical to the device he used in Iron Man to enter Obidiah Stane's secret workshop/facility with Pepper Potts.

The Clairvoyant - Honestly, Centipede's clairvoyant could refer to a lot of people in the Marvel universe, but it's interesting to note that they mentioned him/her a week after S.H.I.E.L.D. denied the existence of ESP/psychic powers.  

And here's one I missed last week:

Diamonds hidden in golf balls - During a mission to infiltrate a smuggling ring, James Bond also hid diamonds inside golf balls in Diamonds are Forever.  

And that's all I found this week. We've got a short break coming up, but I'll see you all in November!

Written or Contributed by ThanosCopter

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

Zechs
Staff Writer

Liked in: 3 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Re: S.H.I.E.L.D. Dossiers - S01E05: The Girl in the Flower D

Postby Zechs » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:43 am

I don't know why but I kept thinking that even though he had a completely different powerset I kept thinking, "This would have been cooler it they used the Radioactive Man."

Also it isn't A.I.M. behind all of this? :?

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

misac
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby misac » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:52 am

Another really good episode. The Skye reveal came faster than I expected.

I’m wondering if the Centipede people are related to the guys from last week. Either way they’re making a lot of enemies. :D

misac
Outhouse Editor

Postby misac » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:54 am

Zechs wrote:I don't know why but I kept thinking that even though he had a completely different powerset I kept thinking, "This would have been cooler it they used the Radioactive Man."

Don’t know if it’s A.I.M. but I marked out at the beekeeper suits.

Radioactive Man is harder to do, he’d killed easily with radiation.

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 5 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:30 pm

misac wrote: The Skye reveal came faster than I expected.

After last night, it boggles me that the first episode didn't have this scene in it...

Coulson: I want you to join us.
Skye: All right. But only if you help me find my parents.

Bob Dell
FACEBOOKTron

Liked in: 2 posts
Title: DOCILE ROBOT

RE: S.H.I.E.L.D. Dossiers - S01E05: The Girl in the Flower Dress

Postby Bob Dell » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:24 pm

I was expecting them to make Sunfire, to tell the truth!

My 2 cents.

GHERU
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 9 posts

Postby GHERU » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:27 pm

Amoebas wrote:
After last night, it boggles me that the first episode didn't have this scene in it...

although this was the best ep yet, they keep getting better, this annoyed me too

why not just fucking ask
its Andrea (from walking dead) levels of stupid
RUviews
Benderbrau wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse. Where civility means you're doing it wrong.

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 15 posts
Title: Absent
Formerly: Scantronman, _OM_ & cyclopsfan

Postby outsider » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:29 pm

I'm glad Skye's double agent status has been mostly blown - we don't need it drawn out. I'm really starting to wonder if her character was inspired by Bendis's redux of Jessica Drew.
If Rising Tide isn't tied into Hydra, I'll let misac eat Jude's fedora. Centipede = Hydra is too predictable (perhaps they are A.I.M.?)

When we see Scorch again, will he look like Freddy Krueger? Image

I'm enjoying this show, and thought Fitz & Simmons were actually entertaining. She's such a cutie, too, with her little sweater puppies. (what?)
-

misac
Outhouse Editor

Postby misac » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:03 pm

Amoebas wrote:

That’s silly, there would be no suspense. Agent Ward should also be nicer so they can all hold hands and solve mysteries. She didn’t know and trust him at the time. :smt102

misac
Outhouse Editor

Postby misac » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:07 pm

outsider wrote:I'm glad Skye's double agent status has been mostly blown - we don't need it drawn out. I'm really starting to wonder if her character was inspired by Bendis's redux of Jessica Drew.
If Rising Tide isn't tied into Hydra, I'll let misac eat Jude's fedora. Centipede = Hydra is too predictable (perhaps they are A.I.M.?)

When we see Scorch again, will he look like Freddy Krueger? Image

I'm enjoying this show, and thought Fitz & Simmons were actually entertaining. She's such a cutie, too, with her little sweater puppies. (what?)

I’m still expecting a real betrayal from Skye. I think she was maneuvered into the team by the main villains and has a brain implant or something to turn on them.

I hope we don’t see Scorch again, S.H.I.E.L.D. would look very dumb if they didn’t dig out his body. If they had done it different I would love to see him come back all burnt up.

I like Fitz’s voice, it’s really sweet.

misac
Outhouse Editor

Postby misac » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:09 pm

I really liked the scene with Agent May questioning Coulson about his possible robot status. :P

Zechs
Staff Writer

Liked in: 3 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:47 pm

GHERU wrote:although this was the best ep yet, they keep getting better, this annoyed me too

why not just fucking ask
its Andrea (from walking dead) levels of stupid

Well at least she has a nice shiny bracelet.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

adamiani
Naked, Greased-Up Deaf Guy

Liked in: 0 post

Postby adamiani » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:09 pm

Zechs wrote:I don't know why but I kept thinking that even though he had a completely different powerset I kept thinking, "This would have been cooler it they used the Radioactive Man."

Well, there were dudes in beekeeper suits. So if it isn't, they're sure playing with you.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:00 pm

The Clairvoyant - Honestly, Centipede's clairvoyant could refer to a lot of people in the Marvel universe, but it's interesting to note that they mentioned him/her a week after S.H.I.E.L.D. denied the existence of ESP/psychic powers.

Doesn't psychokinesis technically count as a psychic power? :?

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

avengingtitan
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 5 posts

Postby avengingtitan » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:52 pm

This show keeps getting better every week. Its not perfect. My one complaint was that there was no big bad. Now that looks to be changing.
Checkout my new Ebay Store.
Plenty of great stuff
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pennsylvanias_best_comics

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The Asylum