Advertisement

Young Avengers #11 (Now he looks like trouble Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 76 posts
Title: Shitlord

Young Avengers #11 (Now he looks like trouble Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:30 pm

It’s a shame that the return of Adult Loki (well, he’s really more like Teen Loki) was spoiled by the announcement of the upcoming ‘Agent Of Asgard’ series and also by Tom Hiddleston, because it was a pretty cool moment, and it really should have been a surprise. But hey, in this day and age, there’s really no such thing as a surprise, and even though I do feel that Teen Loki is yet another example at playing to the Tumblr-crowd, at the moment, he does seem a lot less insufferable than Kid Loki was. Let’s just hope he doesn’t compare himself to Jon Snow next issue.

The reason for Loki’s transformation is because in this issue, the team discover what’s going on with Hulkling and their League Of Evil Exes. Leah phones up Loki and they find out that she is working with Mother and they have Hulkling trapped in the Mother Dimension. Mother and Leah’s scheme is to unleash all of the alternate reality versions of the Young Avengers onto Earth to cause chaos, and turn the adult heroes against the kids. I do find the idea of making the struggle between teenagers and their parents into overt text a bit odd, but that may be because I’m not a teenager or a parent, so I don’t have a dog in the fight, and don’t particularly hate my parents at the age of 24. To me, it feels a bit overblown, but I’m sure for this book’s target audience, it’s perfect.

Loki needs more power to take on Mother, so he gets Wiccan to zap him, and whilst he’s now a teen… he doesn’t have his full powers, so they need to change plans, and Plan B is for Wiccan to become the Demiurge. You all know I think Wiccan is a terrible character, and the fact that once again he’s the most important special guy in the world is infuriating. But I’m going to try and hold my tongue, and hope that my theory about Billy manipulating the whole universe to make himself a Campbellesque hero holds true. It pretty much as to if Gillen doesn’t want everyone who isn’t an idiot to puke.

I’m more interested in what’s going on with Marvel Boy, he seems to be tempted by the teasings of his exes, and he even goes so far as to shave his beard. It looks like someone other than Wiccan and Loki are having character moments now! Hooray! Now let’s hope for Miss America to actually have a personality sometime soon. Prodigy also had a good moment here, as he actually did some thinking, and got in touch with pretty much every other teen superhero in the Marvel Universe (or at least, every other teen superhero that hasn’t been gloriously murdered in Marvel’s superior teen Avengers book) in a page that reminded, me strangely of a scene from Wayne’s World (or maybe Wayne’s World 2) where Wayne constantly repeats ‘and they tell two friends’. I dislike the pop-culture references this book actually makes, so I’m just making up my own now.

There’s also some nonsense about how Kate is almost 21 and how she might turn evil, but it seems like that’s just nonsense because Noh-Varr is already 21, and you’re young if you still think you’re young or something pat like that. Basically, the fight is on for #12, let’s hope Wiccan dies!

This book has improved, but it still annoys and frustrates me, but perhaps a lot of that is because of the over-praise it gets from everyone else, I may be that shallow, I don’t know. I do know that McKelvie’s artwork is still consistently excellent, it is worth reading this book for him and Mike Norton. Even Emo-Loki doesn’t look too bad. I really don’t understand the love fans have for Loki, is it because of Tom Hiddleston’s excellent performance? Or is it because he’s skinny and a bit effeminate at times? Is he one of Lisa Simpson’s ‘Non-Threatening Boys’? If so, that’s ridiculous, because Loki is anything but non-threatening. Man, reading this book and more importantly, thinking about it, doesn’t half make me feel old and out of touch.

Advertisement

Draco x
FROGMAN

Liked in: 313 posts

Re: Young Avengers #11 (Now he looks like trouble Spoilers)

Postby Draco x » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:27 pm

Good points in your review.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand