Advertisement

Avengers A.I. #4 (You are the chosen one! Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 109 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Avengers A.I. #4 (You are the chosen one! Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:55 am

Another strong issue of this title, and whilst this one was much more of a straight ahead action piece than the last two, it still contained enough Humphries weirdness and great art to make it worthwhile.

The first page was interesting in it’s character reveals, as we discover that Monica Chang is a practising Muslim. She’s kind of been at the fringes of this book so far, basically being a hard-ass on Pym, but now I’m intrigued. There can’t be many Asian-American Muslims, and the story behind that should be interesting. We then see Pym and the team plan their assault on Dimitrios and The Diamond, but Victor Mancha is absent. The scene between Victor and his ‘grandpa’ was very well-written, and it got right to the heart of the conflict within this series very effectively. Victor is a robot, but his mother was human, and he was raised as a human, so what side is he on? I guess you could take this as a metaphor for a mixed-race person, and in the end Victor doesn’t come down on either side, he wants to fight for everyone.

It’s interesting that Victor made that decision much quicker than his ‘brother’, The Vision, who is still prevaricating inside The Diamond. In the end, we find out that Vision didn’t really have a choice, as Dimitrios has planned it so the other A.I.s will never want peace. The fight scene between Vision and Dimitrios was awesome, with Araujo really doing some great stuff, I loved the Iron Man-Dragon Hybrid, there’s just so much imagination in these Diamond scenes, and also with the various morphs that Vision goes through, you’ve got to love a Marvel superhero book that takes so many of it’s visual cues from Katsuhiro Otomo.

Interestingly, it’s also teased that Dimitrios has a hidden identity, and may be a familiar face. I literally have no idea who it could be, which I suppose is the best kind of mystery. Vision escapes the Diamond back into the real world, and immediately rushes off to Africa to try and save the rest of the team, because their mission is a trap (duh). The other mysterious figure in this book is Alexis, and we find out a lot more about her in this issue, she has a weird vision (no, not the character, an actual vision) of… herself? And she reminds her that she is ‘The Protector’, and she also zooms off to try and save Victor, Doombot and a bunch of SHIELD grunts from the trap, unveiling some serious firepower in the process.

The issue culminates with Victor Mancha sacrificing himself to save everyone else and getting zapped by The Diamond, and the last page shows him looking pretty dead in the hospital. Now, since he’s a robot, he’ll probably be rebuilt fairly quickly (see every Red Tornado death ever), but it was still a noble action from the character, and certainly a maturation from him compared to the first 3 issues. I’m not sure Sam Humphries really earned this really, but we shall see. Plus, this should hopefully cause some good Tumblr meltdowns.

Overall, this continues to be a great comic, with fantastic art, interesting ideas about humanity, and most importantly of all, the continued hilarity of Doombot, everything that guy says is a delight to me.
Last edited by Punchy on Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Advertisement

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 640 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Re: Avengers A.I. #4 (You are the chosen one! Spoilers)

Postby Amoebas » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:24 am

As a huge Hank Pym fan, I've tried all the issues to date - and I just can't get into this book.

Hank and Vision are the only characters I like (and both are written far differently than what I would expect of them). I've seen nothing in the rest of the cast to make care about them . I admit Doombot is cute but beyond the comedic elements, I'm not sure what it's purpose is.

4 issues - not wowing me at all. I'm done.

GHERU

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 484 posts

Postby GHERU » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:09 pm

Amoebas wrote:As a huge Hank Pym fan, I've tried all the issues to date - and I just can't get into this book.

Hank and Vision are the only characters I like (and both are written far differently than what I would expect of them). I've seen nothing in the rest of the cast to make care about them . I admit Doombot is cute but beyond the comedic elements, I'm not sure what it's purpose is.

4 issues - not wowing me at all. I'm done.

yea, I was out after the 3rd issue - I was sold on this comic because of how awesome Age of Ultron 10 A.I. was, but this comic has not lived up t the lead in
RUviews
Benderbrau wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse. Where civility means you're doing it wrong.

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 347 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:51 am

i've flipped through this in the store...what the hell have they done to the vision? :lol:

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 466 posts

Postby Draco x » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:10 am

Interesting review here.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 438 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:57 pm

I agree about Monica Chang now being a Muslim, it adds much needed depth to her character that didn't exist previously. About the Diamond, yeah, those scenes were great.

Thank you Troy for the sig

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand