Advertisement

Satellite Sam #4 (THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT! Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 59 posts
Title: Shitlord

Satellite Sam #4 (THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT! Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:08 pm

Matt Fraction and Howard Chaykin continue to amble on with their tale of 1950s TV, and whilst this issue does have some fantastic moments, I am beginning to wonder about where all this is going.

I think the problem with this title is that there are so many characters, and a lot of them don’t get spotlight scenes that often, and because Chaykin’s character work is fairly repetitive (ie everyone looks great, but they also look the same) you forget who is who. Perhaps Fraction should not have the character bio page at the start, but instead use ‘Fraptions’ like he did on Uncanny X-Men. As an example of how there are loads of characters only getting little bits to do, the first 2 pages here are about Maria Melato, an actor on Satellite Sam who has barely done anything in the series up until now. In this issue, we see her husband, and see that her Mother-In-Law hates her and is racist. Then, Maria and her family don’t appear again for the rest of the issue. It’s mainly there to show how racist the past was. It’s the same for the scene that reveals that Guy Roth, the writer of Satellite Sam, is gay. That scene is just Fraction showing us a bit of how being a closeted homosexual worked in the 50s (and add another sleaze dimension), and whilst that probably will go somewhere, as another character notices Roth hugging another man, it’s still indicative of how disjointed this book feels.

What should be the main plotline of Michael investigating his father barely moves at all here, and neither does the LeMonde Network’s struggle for FCC funding. Of course, I probably am being impatient, Fraction and Chaykin are planting a lot of seeds here, and if and when they do all pay off, it could be very good. It’s a bit like Robert Kirkman’s Invincible and all of it’s various subplots, I guess I just get more excited by intergalactic Battle Beasts than I do racist mother-in-laws. That’s comics fans for you!

To Fraction’s credit, he does try to tie a lot of this issue’s events together by having everyone listening to the famous ‘Shot heard round the world’ baseball game between the New York Giants and the Brooklyn Dodgers. Being British (and also a Cubs fan) I’m not too knowledgeable about baseball history, but thanks to Don DeLillo’s novel ‘Underworld’ I know all about this game, and it was cool to have it pop up here, and really, when you think about New York at this time, a lot of your positive feelings will be about the dominance of their 3 baseball teams. It’s probably the most ‘Mad Men’ this book has felt, and it’s probably why I liked it so much.

This book is enjoyable in moments, the dialogue is snappy, the art is great, and the sheer sleaziness is a lot of fun, but in the macro-sense, I’m still not feeling it. You have to applaud the efforts of the creators though, this is a unique comic, and even if it’s not quite pulling off it’s ambitions, the fact that it actually has ambitions is better than most.

Advertisement

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 319 posts
Title: Self Important

Re: Satellite Sam #4 (THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT! Spoilers)

Postby guitarsmashley » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:51 pm

I just grabbed the first 4 issues, are they worth my time?
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:44 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:I just grabbed the first 4 issues, are they worth my time?

If you've already bought them... then yeah.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 319 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:53 pm

Punchy wrote:
If you've already bought them... then yeah.

And say if I haven't?
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:54 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:
And say if I haven't?

Wait for the trade.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand