Advertisement

Super Alphabet Draft

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 619 posts
Title: Absent
Formerly: Daddy Longlegs, Max Power

Re: Super Alphabet Draft

Postby outsider » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:55 am

If we had an overall collection of best picks, my vote would go to Thunderstruck. While I may like some other teams better, the overall catalog of characters on Thunderstruck's roster tickle my geek centers. :D

My two favorite teams are BK's Adventurer's Guild (I'm a mark for those characters, so this should come as no surprise) and Grayson's Machine Empire, especially the different waves of Heralds and Reapers. Of all the teams in the draft, I think the Machine Empire has the best story potential.

Other excellent teams include Erik's Excalibur, Sinister Syndicate (but too large?) Heroes for Hire; Draco's Dragons. Those teams have a very interesting dynamic that I'd love to hear more about.

My favorite versus situation is from pastajoe: M.O.O.B. vs. B.O.O.M.
(Bonus points for using Dansen Macabre!)

HNutz, I really like the look of your teams, but you used so many video game characters (and I'm clueless about most video game characters :oops: ). The Great Rebellion have cool-looking characters, but do they stand a chance against The Evil Empire or the Mishima Corporation?

My favorite team of my pick is The Global Guardians, especially Yaguarette and old-school Jack O'Lantern.
I thought the Doomed Patrol was going to be my favorite, but I don't know if Tula was the right pick to make.

This draft was fun. Exhausting at times, but not in a bad way. Kind of like a geek version of a 5k. :lol:
-

Advertisement

troysshr
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 464 posts
Title: I'm a Paul Heyman Guy.
Formerly: T-Rex

Postby troysshr » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:49 am

HNutz wrote:

Wow, there's a bunch of different types of asskickers here! I feel bad for whatever world houses all these powerhouses! nice job including folks like Johnny Sorrow, Black Bolt and Etrigan here, too.

Thanks, I tried to not stick with the usual picks and kinda think outside the box a little bit.

troysshr
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby troysshr » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:50 am

outsider wrote:If we had an overall collection of best picks, my vote would go to Thunderstruck. While I may like some other teams better, the overall catalog of characters on Thunderstruck's roster tickle my geek centers. :D

My two favorite teams are BK's Adventurer's Guild (I'm a mark for those characters, so this should come as no surprise) and Grayson's Machine Empire, especially the different waves of Heralds and Reapers. Of all the teams in the draft, I think the Machine Empire has the best story potential.

Other excellent teams include Erik's Excalibur, Sinister Syndicate (but too large?) Heroes for Hire; Draco's Dragons. Those teams have a very interesting dynamic that I'd love to hear more about.

HNutz, I really like the look of your teams, but you used so many video game characters (and I'm clueless about most video game characters :oops: ). The Great Rebellion have cool-looking characters, but do they stand a chance against The Evil Empire or the Mishima Corporation?

My favorite team of my pick is The Global Guardians, especially Yaguarette and old-school Jack O'Lantern.
I thought the Doomed Patrol was going to be my favorite, but I don't know if Tula was the right pick to make.

This draft was fun. Exhausting at times, but not in a bad way. Kind of like a geek version of a 5k. :lol:

Thank you sir!

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 343 posts

Postby Draco x » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:48 pm

outsider wrote:If we had an overall collection of best picks, my vote would go to Thunderstruck. While I may like some other teams better, the overall catalog of characters on Thunderstruck's roster tickle my geek centers. :D

Thanks. I may do a follow-up to the Shadowland story with most of the characters in another draft down the road.

e_galston
Staff Writer

Liked in: 477 posts
Formerly: Sitebreaker

Postby e_galston » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:52 pm

Thanks... i wanted the syndicate to be a big team, they don't always work together at the same time...

HNutz
PЦИKЧ ВЯЁ&#106

Liked in: 612 posts

Postby HNutz » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:40 pm

outsider wrote:HNutz, I really like the look of your teams, but you used so many video game characters (and I'm clueless about most video game characters :oops: ). The Great Rebellion have cool-looking characters, but do they stand a chance against The Evil Empire or the Mishima Corporation?

Using all videogame characters was my theme, but I tried to use a variety of characters (I had to do a LOT of research) and explain them a bit underneath.

I think the good guys will have a hard time winning, but that's the point. you don't want it to be too easy, do you? ;)

I agree, though... this was our geeky 5K. 8)

HNutz
PЦИKЧ ВЯЁ&#106

Liked in: 612 posts

Postby HNutz » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:49 pm

Draco wrote:
[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand
Anna Valerious, Blade, Cloak, Angel Dynamite, Elias Kingston, Frankenstein's Monster, Gaibon, Headless Horseman, Invisible Man, Spring Heeled Jack, Krampus, Carlton Lehah (Biis), Piece Meal, N'Dama The Weather Demon, Overtkill, Parasite, Leper Queen, Red Queen (Madelyne Prior), Syfa Belnades, Robert T.S., Ulysses Bloodstone, Jean Paul Valley( Azrael), Werewolf By Night, Madame Xanadu, Yukio, Zauriel

Zeiss, Black Widow II (Yelena Belova), Mr. X, White Canary, Lady Vic, Ubu, Talon, Shadow Thief, Ravan, The Question (Vic Sage), Paladin, April O'Neil, Elektra Natchios, Eliza Maza, Billy Lee, Moon Knight, Jimmy Lee, I, H, G, F, Hush (Thomas Elliot), Constantine Drakon, David Cain, Bullseye, Artemis of the Coda

I like how you used characters from a variety of sources like Spring-Heeled Jack. Always like seeing Ulysses Bloodstone, Jack Russell, Cloak and Blade used, as well. Your street team with the original Question, along with your assassins, looks really nice!

(When you didn't update your list, it was just hard to follow your teams sometimes)

Grayson wrote:
[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand
Alana, Other Barry, Captain Harlock, Dr. Dinosaur, Queen Emeraldas, The Futurist (Duncan Jones), Gort, Heath Huston, Ice King, Mojo Jojo, Geomancer (Kay McHenry), Locutus of Borg, The Monarch, Duke Nukem, Obidiah Archer, Armstrong (Aram Anni Pada), Queen Promethium, Atomic Robo, Dr. Mrs. The Monarch (Sheila), Tony Chu, Ulton, V'Ger, Atom Eve (Samantha Wilkins), T-X, Yoda, Zechs Merquise

Cyborg Superman (Zor-El), Yellowjacket (Hank Pym), The Monarch of Planet X (Groot), Ultimate Spider-Woman (Jessica Drew), Garrus Vakarian, Ultimate Weapon, Trypticon, Commander Shepard, Nova (Richard Rider), Quintesson, P, O, N, Marko, Cyber Controller (John Lumic), Thane Krios, Jenkins, Invincible, Harbinger, Gamora, Boba Fett, Elijah Snow, The Doctor (Tenth Incarnation), Cosmo the Spacedog, Charles "Chuck" Bartowski, Aleph

The Machine Empire

Reaching out from the furthest reaches of space and time, the Machine Empire seeks to solidify their grasp over the universe by assimilating, upgrading, or destroying all organic life.

ImageImage

Q - Queen Promethium, L - Locutus of Borg

The Heralds

Deployed first, the Heralds of the Machine Empire will offer a world the option of assimilation or termination.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

U - Ultron, V - V'Ger, X - T-X, G - Gort, L - Cyber Controller (John Lumic), Z - Cyborg Superman (Zor-El), Q - Quintesson

The Reapers

If a particular civilization offers too much resistance, the Machine Empire deploys their Reapers. Known as "Planet Killers" they are the Machine Empire's final solution.

ImageImageImageImageImage

V - V'Ger, H - Harbinger, A - Aleph, U - Ultimate Weapon, T - Trypticon

VS.

The United Front

Men and women from all across time and space, brought together to unite the galaxy against the unmerciful Machine Empire.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Z - Zechs Merquise, A - Alana, C - Captain Harlock, E - Emeraldas, H - Heath Huston, M - Marko, V - Garrus Vakarian, S - Commander Shepard

The Guardians of the Galaxy

[spoiler]As the United Front builds their resistance throughout the universe, they devote a small portion of their resources to creating a new team of combatants. This team is deputized by all civilizations to act on their own accord. They answer to no one but themselves. They are the Guardians of the Galaxy

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Y - Yoda, K - Thane Krios, I - Invincible, G - Gamora, F - Boba Fett, D - The Doctor (Tenth Incarnation), C - Cosmo the Spacedog, X - The Monarch of Planet X (Groot), R - Nova (Richard Rider)

W.E.I.R.D. (World's Extraordinary Intelligence and Reconnaissance Department)

Originally organized to gather intelligence on the Guild of Calamitous Intent and other such nefarious organizations, the Agents of W.E.I.R.D. soon found themselves drafted into something far more sinister. Now they utilize their resources into researching the weakness of the Machine Empire and attempting to exploit them.

W.E.I.R.D. Alpha Team

R - Atomic Robo, T - Tony Chu, F - The Futurist (Duncan Jones), J - Jenkins, E - Elijah Snow, B- Charles "Chuck" Bartowski

W.E.I.R.D. Omega Team

P - Armstrong (Aram Anni Pada), O - Obadiah Archer, W - Atom Eve (Samantha Wilkins), K - Geomancer (Kay McHenry), Y - Yellowjacket (Hank Pym), W - Ultimate Spider-Woman (Jessica Drew)

The All-New Guild of Calamitous Intent

The world's premiere union for licensed super-villainy, the Guild of Calamitous Intent provides security and benefits through organized arching. Now in the wake of the arrival of the Machine Empire, the Guild have suspended all arching activities and instead devote their time to menacing the Empire in the same way that they arched their primary nemesis. Nothing is off limits to the Guild.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

M - The Monarch, N - Duke Nukem, S - Dr. Mrs. The Monarch (Sheila), B - Other Barry, D - Dr. Dinosaur, I - Ice King, J - Mojo Jojo

I like how you avoided Marvel & DC and went off the beaten path. You picked up some FUN picks like Chuck, the 10th Doctor, Duke Nukem, Mojo Jojo, Archer & Armstrong, Invincible, Tony Chu, Locutus of Borg and even TRYPTICON! (and a bunch of characters I don't really know that well, like Dr. Dinosaur). NICE Job!

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1037 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:04 pm

If I could go back and do it all over again, I think that I would have left out the Guild of Calamitous Intent. They just didn't really fit in with the rest of my draft and I think I could have used those letters in better places elsewhere. For instance, I would have used the "D" I used on Dr. Dinosaur (even though I REALLY wanted to use him) to draft Devastator (Generation One Transformers) for the Reapers. Aside from that, I am pretty happy with how the rest of my teams turned out. The Machine Empire was probably my most ambitious team to date. I didn't want it to be a large threat until I unveiled Locutus and then I wanted all bets to be off. 8)

As for everybody else's teams, I think Troy said it best:

Thunderstruck wrote:Pretty satisfied how my two rounds worked out. I think they could make a very interesting corner of a comics Universe, they match up well IMO.

With 52 characters each, everyone basically drafted their own comic book universe. That's absolutely huge and I think that everybody did an amazing job. I've said it before but I will definitely say it again for this draft, the major comic publishers need to take note of the stuff that we are doing because some of our ideas are golden. :-D

e_galston - Usually I talk to you a little bit more throughout the draft but this time I never really got around to telling you how fantastic your team building was. If a book featuring any of your teams was announced tomorrow I would add it to my pull list in a heartbeat, especially if it was any of your hero teams vs. your Masters of Evil.

troy - Good God Almighty man, the scale of your teams is simply epic. I would hate to live on a world that stood between one of these teams and another. One of the things I tried to do when creating the Machine Empire was give it the same feel that a reader had when they reached the end of the Green Lantern: Sinestro Corps special and saw the Anti-Monitor, Superboy Prime, Cyborg Superman, and Parallax (Kyle Rayner) staring back at them but you recreated that feeling with each and every one of your teams.

Bubba - While your Adventurers Guild is quite outstanding, I can't help but marvel at the absurd brilliance of the Brute Squad. Can you imagine any lone superhero arriving on the scene and having to deal with that? I'm sure a new pair of spandex would be in order. Your teams are always a blast and you did not disappoint.

pastajoe - I know that it has already been mentioned but I love the fact that you committed to using the last letter instead of the first and absolutely made it work. It's hard for me to pick one of your teams as my stand out favorite because honestly, I love them all but your villains teams are quite impressive and the fact that you used the Nuclear Man was an automatic win in my book.

hnutz - SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY! I love the idea of a Once Upon a Time-esque story featuring video game characters instead of fairy tale characters. As much as I like the Smash Bros. games, I have always wanted to have an epic RPG game that encompasses a large library of video game characters and you nailed.

Outsider - There is a fantastic, nostalgic quality to all of your teams that makes me happy to have been a comic fan for as long as I have. Several of your choices made me say "Holy shit, I remember him/her!" I would gladly read a comic featuring the Motley Fools or the Global Guardians.

draco - I love the fact that your teams find a balance between the horror genre (you drafted Krampus!) and street-level crime fighting. Most of the characters are definitely characters who I wouldn't want to run in to on a dark night and I love it because of how much of a suspenseful vibe your choices created.
ImageImageImage

BubbaKanoosh
2009 Most Valuable Poster

Liked in: 741 posts
Formerly: BRBKanoosh

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:00 pm

Troy: I prefer your first teams over your second, but I don't know how your first teams will survive any confrontation with any of your badguy teams lol Overall, fun stuff. I still say Wonder Woman looks like a raisin face but overall all well done. If the battles your teams have do not collapse the multi-verse I will be surprised.

Bubba: WICKED AWESOME!! Your teams are always rad, like awesome to the max. Words cannot describe how awesome your teams are. You own drafts man, YOU OWN THEM!!

Egal: Your villains > heroes. Your Villains Inc. is what I wanted wanted my Everyman team to be, I was going for a more Pulp feel though (a 60s version of the characters) but yeah. Do not get me wrong, I love your heroes teams but your villain teams are just all-stars on all levels.

pasta; MOOB vs BOOM! then give me a side order of MAW, please. You rock the kasbah, dude. Always do.

Hnuts: I am not a video game guy, at all, but I respect what you did here. Well fucking done.

outsider: Motley Crew and Venture Capital are my two fav. teams in this entire draft.

Nuff said.

Grayson: *mind blown I have to agree with outsider on everything he said about your team. You went places that I couldn't imagine going in these drafts. so kudos to you.

Draco: Your horror picks are great, your picks kept me intrigued... and how you had a cool story behind everything. Well done.

troysshr
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby troysshr » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:29 pm

BubbaKanoosh wrote:Troy: I prefer your first teams over your second, but I don't know how your first teams will survive any confrontation with any of your badguy teams lol Overall, fun stuff. I still say Wonder Woman looks like a raisin face but overall all well done. If the battles your teams have do not collapse the multi-verse I will be surprised.

Yeah I liked my Heroes better than my Villains, it was harder trying to match up things up than I thought it would be.

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Postby Draco x » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:49 pm

Grayson wrote:If I could go back and do it all over again, I think that I would have left out the Guild of Calamitous Intent. They just didn't really fit in with the rest of my draft and I think I could have used those letters in better places elsewhere. For instance, I would have used the "D" I used on Dr. Dinosaur (even though I REALLY wanted to use him) to draft Devastator (Generation One Transformers) for the Reapers. Aside from that, I am pretty happy with how the rest of my teams turned out. The Machine Empire was probably my most ambitious team to date. I didn't want it to be a large threat until I unveiled Locutus and then I wanted all bets to be off. 8)

As for everybody else's teams, I think Troy said it best:

With 52 characters each, everyone basically drafted their own comic book universe. That's absolutely huge and I think that everybody did an amazing job. I've said it before but I will definitely say it again for this draft, the major comic publishers need to take note of the stuff that we are doing because some of our ideas are golden. :-D

e_galston - Usually I talk to you a little bit more throughout the draft but this time I never really got around to telling you how fantastic your team building was. If a book featuring any of your teams was announced tomorrow I would add it to my pull list in a heartbeat, especially if it was any of your hero teams vs. your Masters of Evil.

troy - Good God Almighty man, the scale of your teams is simply epic. I would hate to live on a world that stood between one of these teams and another. One of the things I tried to do when creating the Machine Empire was give it the same feel that a reader had when they reached the end of the Green Lantern: Sinestro Corps special and saw the Anti-Monitor, Superboy Prime, Cyborg Superman, and Parallax (Kyle Rayner) staring back at them but you recreated that feeling with each and every one of your teams.

Bubba - While your Adventurers Guild is quite outstanding, I can't help but marvel at the absurd brilliance of the Brute Squad. Can you imagine any lone superhero arriving on the scene and having to deal with that? I'm sure a new pair of spandex would be in order. Your teams are always a blast and you did not disappoint.

pastajoe - I know that it has already been mentioned but I love the fact that you committed to using the last letter instead of the first and absolutely made it work. It's hard for me to pick one of your teams as my stand out favorite because honestly, I love them all but your villains teams are quite impressive and the fact that you used the Nuclear Man was an automatic win in my book.

hnutz - SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY! I love the idea of a Once Upon a Time-esque story featuring video game characters instead of fairy tale characters. As much as I like the Smash Bros. games, I have always wanted to have an epic RPG game that encompasses a large library of video game characters and you nailed.

Outsider - There is a fantastic, nostalgic quality to all of your teams that makes me happy to have been a comic fan for as long as I have. Several of your choices made me say "Holy shit, I remember him/her!" I would gladly read a comic featuring the Motley Fools or the Global Guardians.

draco - I love the fact that your teams find a balance between the horror genre (you drafted Krampus!) and street-level crime fighting. Most of the characters are definitely characters who I wouldn't want to run in to on a dark night and I love it because of how much of a suspenseful vibe your choices created.

Thanks much, bro. The interesting thing was that for the first draft I was inspired by Castlevania and Ninja Gaiden as they were two of my favorite games growing up. For the second draft, I was drawing inspiration from the Double Dragon game series( Ironically this is what the cartoon should have been like in the 90's instead of the hack job by DIC) as Double Dragon was the first game I ever owned as a kid. Aside from that everyone else also had interesting picks like mine so I liked this draft alot.

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Postby Draco x » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:51 pm

BubbaKanoosh wrote:Troy: I prefer your first teams over your second, but I don't know how your first teams will survive any confrontation with any of your badguy teams lol Overall, fun stuff. I still say Wonder Woman looks like a raisin face but overall all well done. If the battles your teams have do not collapse the multi-verse I will be surprised.

Bubba: WICKED AWESOME!! Your teams are always rad, like awesome to the max. Words cannot describe how awesome your teams are. You own drafts man, YOU OWN THEM!!

Egal: Your villains > heroes. Your Villains Inc. is what I wanted wanted my Everyman team to be, I was going for a more Pulp feel though (a 60s version of the characters) but yeah. Do not get me wrong, I love your heroes teams but your villain teams are just all-stars on all levels.

pasta; MOOB vs BOOM! then give me a side order of MAW, please. You rock the kasbah, dude. Always do.

Hnuts: I am not a video game guy, at all, but I respect what you did here. Well fucking done.

outsider: Motley Crew and Venture Capital are my two fav. teams in this entire draft.

Nuff said.

Grayson: *mind blown I have to agree with outsider on everything he said about your team. You went places that I couldn't imagine going in these drafts. so kudos to you.

Draco: Your horror picks are great, your picks kept me intrigued... and how you had a cool story behind everything. Well done.

Thanks, bro. And your teams were awesome as well. Your material would make a good comic book series if given the chance.

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Postby Draco x » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:53 pm

HNutz wrote:
I like how you used characters from a variety of sources like Spring-Heeled Jack. Always like seeing Ulysses Bloodstone, Jack Russell, Cloak and Blade used, as well. Your street team with the original Question, along with your assassins, looks really nice!

(When you didn't update your list, it was just hard to follow your teams sometimes)

I like how you avoided Marvel & DC and went off the beaten path. You picked up some FUN picks like Chuck, the 10th Doctor, Duke Nukem, Mojo Jojo, Archer & Armstrong, Invincible, Tony Chu, Locutus of Borg and even TRYPTICON! (and a bunch of characters I don't really know that well, like Dr. Dinosaur). NICE Job!

Thanks and your draft picks would make a very good game if given the chance. I would definitely play that game if it were ever made.

e_galston
Staff Writer

Liked in: 477 posts
Formerly: Sitebreaker

Postby e_galston » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:36 pm

this was a fun draft... i'll do more in depth reviews tomorrow after work...

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The Asylum