Advertisement

Marvel Cancels Fearless Defenders

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Mr. Log
phrase IV

Liked in: 6 posts
Title: I'm starvin'!
Formerly: Log-Man

Re: Marvel Cancels Fearless Defenders

Postby Mr. Log » Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:06 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:The covers really are awesome. I'm surprised so many people noticed that but still didn't check it out. :(

The covers were beautifully rendered and very creative, but they didn't sell the product. And honestly I don't really care about any of the characters, so it's hard to get enthusiastic for it. Maybe I missed something I would really love, hard to say. It wouldn't be the first time.

Advertisement

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 0 post
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:15 pm

Knowing nothing about the book except something about Valkyrie set off Punchy's aversion to lesbianism, it's hard to tell from the covers who the Fearless Defenders are. A couple have a giant cast of characters, most seem Valkyrie-centric...was it just a rotating team of female characters, or that whole big cast, or what? The covers might be interesting individually, but they're not telling me much about the Fearless Defenders as a team.

alaska1125
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 7 posts

Postby alaska1125 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:25 pm

Arion wrote:
I didn't buy it because I wasn't familiar with the authors. But those covers are so good.

I love the Dani Moonstar action figure and Street Fighter covers...

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 37 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Postby The Old Doctor » Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:59 pm

For me, the attraction was Valkyrie. I've been a bit of a fan of the character since the 70s. So add in that this is called Defenders and it got my attention.

Shiny movey things!

The first issue, that I read way back before getting sick and falling far behind, was not bad. Misty Knight was being awesome and throw in Valkyrie... nice little concept for a series.

Like with Red Shulky, I'm going to read the series through anyway. It was worth it with Red, so I think it should work out the same here.

Also, note the interior art was good as well.
[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

Flynn the Pirate
OMCTO

Postby Flynn the Pirate » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:00 pm

Damn. This was one of my favorite titles. I'm gonna be sorry to see it go.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 9 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:38 pm

alaska1125 wrote:I love the Dani Moonstar action figure and Street Fighter covers...

Yeah, those are fun to look at.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 51 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:41 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:Knowing nothing about the book except something about Valkyrie set off Punchy's aversion to lesbianism, it's hard to tell from the covers who the Fearless Defenders are. A couple have a giant cast of characters, most seem Valkyrie-centric...was it just a rotating team of female characters, or that whole big cast, or what? The covers might be interesting individually, but they're not telling me much about the Fearless Defenders as a team.

The book was Valkyrie and Misty Knight in the lead roles, with a cast of supporting characters and a gimmick that they were all female characters. It featured appearances by a lot of rarely seen characters (like Clea) and some new ones. Female villains as well. It roughly continued Valkyrie's Fear Itself: The Fearless series and Misty's latest Heroes for Hire. It was not high art in times of storytelling, but it was a love letter to a bygone era of superhero comics in a similar way to what Waid's Daredevil has been, IMO. It was one of the first comics I read whenever it came out. I also enjoyed Marvel Knights (the series), which had a similar vibe, to me.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:15 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:
The book was Valkyrie and Misty Knight in the lead roles, with a cast of supporting characters and a gimmick that they were all female characters. It featured appearances by a lot of rarely seen characters (like Clea) and some new ones. Female villains as well. It roughly continued Valkyrie's Fear Itself: The Fearless series and Misty's latest Heroes for Hire. It was not high art in times of storytelling, but it was a love letter to a bygone era of superhero comics in a similar way to what Waid's Daredevil has been, IMO. It was one of the first comics I read whenever it came out. I also enjoyed Marvel Knights (the series), which had a similar vibe, to me.

Sounds like a good title. Why did you never talk about it when it was still being published?

Steve Kaye
FACEBOOKTron

Liked in: 2 posts
Title: DOCILE ROBOT

RE: Marvel Cancels Fearless Defenders

Postby Steve Kaye » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:02 am

Fearless Defenders might not get a reboot, and that's a shame. It wasn't drawing the numbers Marvel wanted, but it was a very good book. This concept of cancelling books and then rebooting them, though, is mostly a sham. Marvel are getting rid of all of their $2.99 books so they can bring them back as $3.99. I know FD was jacked up to $3.99 recently. I think Marvel figured not enough people were reading it so it wouldn't matter; the devoted fans would pay the additional buck anyway. And we do. We always do. Daredevil is going to reboot after #36, and it won't surprise me at all when the new volume is priced at $3.99.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 51 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:17 am

Arion wrote:
Sounds like a good title. Why did you never talk about it when it was still being published?

I'm sure I've mentioned it before.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:56 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:
I'm sure I've mentioned it before.

Oh, maybe I wasn't around when you did it.

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 37 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Postby The Old Doctor » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:00 pm

Arion had Jude on ignore.

:P
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

Caterson Damon
FACEBOOKTron

Liked in: 2 posts
Title: DOCILE ROBOT

RE: Marvel Cancels Fearless Defenders

Postby Caterson Damon » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:52 pm

Now if we can just get Captain America to stop wearing his baseball hat slash polo chin strap mask and revert Tony's armor back to the golden and red and stop trying this "kind of reboot" shit. DC screwed up with the reboot, Marvel doesn't have to half-ass a reboot. Just as bad as the Heroes Reborn crap! Another Epic fail there!

HNutz
Fagorstorm

Postby HNutz » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:37 am

Arion wrote:

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:I'm sure I've mentioned it before.

There was a couple of months in a row when it was spoiled and Jude complained...

Agent Panic
crash test dummy

Title: Stranger Danger

Postby Agent Panic » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:08 pm

That's a bummer to hear. I actually liked Fearless Defenders.
Do you know what the most frightening thing in the world is?
It's fear.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand