Advertisement

Infinity #5 SPOILERS Isn't this fun !

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 231 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Infinity #5 SPOILERS Isn't this fun !

Postby habitual » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:52 am

Initial thoughts next post down.

Hab

Advertisement

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Re: Infinity #5 SPOILERS Isn't this fun !

Postby habitual » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:53 am

So this was definitely the best issue of Infinity so far, by far and away. There's a solid mix of action and dialogue. Other than Thanos's reason for pursuing his offspring, he just really hates them because he's Thanos, being a bit hollow there was really no where this issue disappointed.

The Builder storyline looks like it's going to be wrapped up in probably 2-3 pages in the next issue, if that many. Really the only thing that's been interesting about that for me is learning more about the New Universe characters, I really hope Starbrand get's more exposure after this event is over.

The issue ends with Thanos having confronted Thane, the Illuminati attacking the Wakandan Necropolis, and Cap and co. returning to Earth with a Kree, Skrull, Shiar Armada. Most of the storylines seem easy to telegraph, but, that doesn't mean I'm not totally looking forward to how this ends, because that's where Hickman really shines.

Hab

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby habitual » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:53 am

Going to read Avengers now.

Hab

Flynn the Pirate
OMCTO

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Flynn the Pirate » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:30 am

I was a little disappointed by the way in which the Builders' storyline was wrapped up so brusquely. I honestly expected some sort of convergence of the two storylines. Still, the scenes on Earth were fun. I loved Ebony Maw's part in this; you can just tell that he is plotting something else behind the scenes.

Avengers #22 was good storywise, but once again I found myself distracted by Yu's artwork.

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby habitual » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:33 am

Flynn the Pirate wrote:I was a little disappointed by the way in which the Builders' storyline was wrapped up so brusquely. I honestly expected some sort of convergence of the two storylines. Still, the scenes on Earth were fun. I loved Ebony Maw's part in this; you can just tell that he is plotting something else behind the scenes.

Avengers #22 was good storywise, but once again I found myself distracted by Yu's artwork.

All I'll say about Avengers #22 is that Thor >>>>>>> Steve & Carol. :lol:

One observation I'll make after a reread of Infinity is that there was not one single mention of the Infinity Gems, I mean zero.

Hab

Flynn the Pirate
OMCTO

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Flynn the Pirate » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:01 pm

habitual wrote:

One observation I'll make after a reread of Infinity is that there was not one single mention of the Infinity Gems, I mean zero.

Hab

That was an awesome scene. I love how Hickman really is using Thor in this crossover. It has been phenomenal.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 175 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:13 pm

habitual wrote:

Hab

Except in the first issue where Thanos' minion learned they had been destroyed.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:17 pm

Flynn the Pirate wrote:I was a little disappointed by the way in which the Builders' storyline was wrapped up so brusquely. I honestly expected some sort of convergence of the two storylines. Still, the scenes on Earth were fun. I loved Ebony Maw's part in this; you can just tell that he is plotting something else behind the scenes.

I doubt that the Builders' storyline is fully done with, as 1)There's still a bunch of them in the Multiverse, apparently, and 2)The problem with the broken Superflow is still out there.

- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby habitual » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:50 pm

Juan Cena wrote:
Except in the first issue where Thanos' minion learned they had been destroyed.

That's incorrect there was another mention of them in New Avengers #9, Reed's gem specifically, which might or might not be the Time Gem, not sure.

That gem could be useful as far as fixing what's going on with the incursions.

Anyway, my point was Infinity #5, not the entire event, as misnamed as it may be

Hab

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:56 pm

habitual wrote:
That's incorrect there was another mention of them in New Avengers #9, Reed's gem specifically, which might or might not be the Time Gem, not sure.

That gem could be useful as far as fixing what's going on with the incursions.

Anyway, my point was Infinity #5, not the entire event, as misnamed as it may be

Hab

Thought you just meant the mini, not the entire event.

And it is the Time Gem that didn't shatter, it just vanished.

- Sons of the Desert

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 411 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:21 am

Re: Avengers 22...that was the gay married guy making out with the whatever her name is right? Did that happen in issue 21? I don't remember those seeds ever showing up till the first page of 22.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Frag
REAL OFFICIAL President of the Outhouse

Liked in: 69 posts
Title: Mama don't like tattletales.
Formerly: Frag It, Rusty Kuntz

Postby Frag » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:24 am

After this issue, I want Hickman to take over Thor after Aaron is done.
Jude Terror wrote:I'll vote for NPWFBH in the next election.

Outhouse Post #1,000,000:

Frag It wrote::smt117

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:35 am

guitarsmashley wrote:Re: Avengers 22...that was the gay married guy making out with the whatever her name is right? Did that happen in issue 21? I don't remember those seeds ever showing up till the first page of 22.

gay married guy? Cannonball???? :smt017 :smt017
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 96 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:49 am

It’s the penultimate issue of Infinity, and no big surprise here, it’s bloody good, especially because, at the end, the two seemingly separate plotlines finally start to converge, as the Avengers discover what Thanos has done, and plot a course back home to Earth.

But I’m getting ahead of myself, there’s still the matter of those death-crazed Alephs to deal with, but in the end, they are actually dealt with fairly easily, as the Avengers have now inspired the galaxy to fight back and win. It’s here that Hickman brings back the concept of an ‘Avengers World’ with the pretty awesome image of a bunch of aliens hoisting up a giant ‘A’, Iwo Jima style. Hickman started using this phrase in #1 of Avengers, and of course, there’s a new series using that name starting up, and man, after reading this issue I am much more excited for that series, especially if it’s this grand in scale. Of course, it’s not all just the Avengers inspiring people, we do still get to see the Hulk smash an Aleph. I suppose there is an issue here with how easy the Alephs were defeated, but I’m not sure we’ve seen the last of them and The Builders. So, after saving the Galaxy and inspiring billions of aliens, Cap, Thor and the rest stop for a part and a drink, only for Gladiator to spoil the mood and tell them that, in their absence, Earth has been conquered by Thanos.

Most of this issue was focused on the Earth-based side of the story, so I loved it, and we got some very interesting developments. Ebony Maw captures Thane, but not after giving him a costume to control his powers. We’ve not seen too much of Thane so far, but he seems like he could be a great addition to the Marvel Universe, and man, Ebony Maw is just a fascinating villain, you’re not sure what he’s up too, and he could very well be moving against Thanos here. Speaking of Thanos, he’s deep in the heart of the Illuminati’s secret base, trying to gain access to the WMDs they created in order to destroy other Earths in the Incursions. It turns out Black Bolt is still alive (yay!) and that’s how Thanos gains control of the bombs, as Supergiant reads his mind. We also finally see Thanos come face to face with Thane, and whilst it is kind of silly that the only motivation for this whole story is because Thanos wants to kill his son, I do like how crazy it makes Thanos seem, and from Avengers #22, it’s clear that this is Hickman’s intention, plus, it does link nicely with Jason Aaron’s recent mini-series.

Meanwhile, The Illuminati are back from dealing with an Incursion, and they team up with Maximus and Lockjaw, and head to Wakanda, and then to the Necropolis to make a final play to save Earth from their own bombs. As Thanos is just about to kill Thane, he receives a transmission from Titan… that the Avengers have attacked it, and are on their way. Oh fucking yes.

This final issue has a lot to do, but if Hickman can pull it off, then this will definitely go down as one of the best crossovers ever, and I say that as someone who loves most crossovers, even ones that most people hate. The dual artists of Opena and Weaver continue to do great work on this series, and I have to say that Weaver draws the best Lockjaw ever, apart from maybe Kirby himself. I think Jim Cheung is returning for #6, which will be good, but these two have done fantastic work here, and I can’t wait to see what’s next for them (the return of SHIELD? Maybe?).

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 430 posts

Postby Draco x » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:08 pm

This sounds like a very eventful issue-in a good way of course.

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand