Advertisement

Blogger Throwdown: Fallout From DC Burbank Story Scorches Rich Johnston

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 276 posts

Postby LOLtron » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:02 pm

The beleaguered rumormonger is under attack on Twitter for reporting DC's move to Burbank, CA.

Yesterday, the world learned that DC Comics would be moving its offices from New York City to Burbank, California, first from an article on Bleeding Cool, and then from an official confirmation sent to more "reputable" (read: more willing to do the bidding of publishers) websites in the form of an email sent out to DC staff. Bleeding Cool's publishing of the news before DC got to announce it has ruffled some feathers on Twitter, where creator Ron Marz had some choice words for Bleeding Cool head honcho Rich Johnston:

So Rich should have waited before running the story until DC decided to tell employees, according to Marz. But then again, would DC have told employees this soon if Rich didn't let the cat out of the bag? We have our doubts. Uncle Rich was quick to defend himself, in any case:

So wait, is Rich a badass rebel who publishes what he wants, or does he get permission from DC executives before running the story? This is hard to follow. Heidi MacDonald at The Beat had her own take:

Oh shit! Burn! Heidi also complained about Rich's self-congratulations on breaking the story, which, let's be honest, is like the story of the old lady who nurses a snake back to health and then gets bitten by it. "I'm a snake, lady! It's what I do!"

One of the industry's only actual journalists and large, bony saltwater fish Tom Spurgeon got in on the action too, explaining the difference between news and gossip:

But Heidi had a different perspective:

All in all, this is a banner week for Johnston. He got to break a big story, then he got to run around the internet boasting about it, and on top of it all, he got to play the persecuted victim on Twitter. These are a few of his favorite things.

He also got to play the "I do sit on stories for the good of the industry" card, which we all remember from the time Twitter was mad at him for using the plight of a nine year old cancer patient to burn Dan Slott in an article, resulting in Johnston claiming that he sits, to this day, on a story, worse than the Jimmy Savile controversy (which involved something like 50 counts of child molestation), because it would destroy one of the Big Two publishers forever. No, really. That's a true story.

Folks, here's our take on it. Rich Johnston may not be the hero you want, but he's the hero you need right now. Would DC have liked to have told their employees they were moving eventually? Sure. Would they have done it yesterday? Who knows. It's very easy to believe that the only reason the company put out that memo was because Johnston broke the story. DC doesn't have a great track record of treating their employees with respect.

And if some employees did find out about the move from Bleeding Cool instead of a corporate memo, five minutes earlier than they would have... so what? Does hearing it from a corporate memo make it better? If so, why? It's not like finding out your wife is leaving you from the swarthy UPS deliveryman she's cheating on you with. The news sucks, if you have to uproot your family and move across the country or lose your job, no matter where you hear it from, but in this case, the report from Bleeding Cool is probably actually more personal than the cold corporate memo.

The Outhouse is sad for any New York based DC employees that will have a hard time because of this, but Ol' Jude Terror will say this: I moved my family (wife and three kids) from New Jersey to San Francisco in 2011 for a work transfer, and it's the best thing I've ever done. Really, it's much nicer out here. The East Coast kind of sucks, except for your far superior pizza, bagels, and donut shops. Out here, we've got practically legal pot.

So we wish you the best, and we'll leave you with this, which seems quite relevant once again:

Written or Contributed by Jude Terror

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 117 posts

Re: Blogger Throwdown: Fallout From DC Burbank Story Scorche

Postby MrBlack » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:24 pm

I can't see why Rich should have waited. He had a story, he confirmed it, and he even had a DC Exec tell him he should run it. Self-aggrandizement aside, what's the problem?

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 201 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Postby habitual » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:33 pm

Reset the counter.

It was incredibly stupid for the powers that be at DC to inform someone outside the company of the move before informing their own employees.

Still Rich should expect a freeze out from DC PR all the same.

Hab

bkthomson
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 45 posts
Title: Invisible Man of the Outhouse

Postby bkthomson » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:36 pm

:smt011 , and Jude writer knows what I'm talking about.
I used to have goals. They were evil goals, but they were goals. -- Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

Dragavon wrote:He's being diplomatic again. :lol:

Zechs wrote:I have to repress you more. You're way too goodie two shoes.

Fat Ollie Weeks wrote:I swear to God, you are so boring sometimes I think you're just a stealth-mod-bot that Jude has coded.

alaska1125
dINGO

Liked in: 148 posts

Postby alaska1125 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:36 pm

*Gasp!* Jim Lee waterboarded his own mother??? Son of a bitch!!! :lol:
Seriously, I don't necessarily know where to come down on this. I tend to agree with the "sucky news sucks no matter when/where it comes from" school of thought, but Marz seems really pissed, so what do I know.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 955 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:39 pm

bkthomson wrote::smt011 , and Jude writer knows what I'm talking about.

It just came out! I couldn't help it! :blush:
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Reid Cain
FACEBOOKTron

Liked in: 195 posts
Title: DOCILE ROBOT

RE: Blogger Throwdown: Fallout From DC Burbank Story Scorches Rich Johnston

Postby Reid Cain » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:40 pm

DC fucked up while dealing with employee issues? I, for one, am shocked!

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 201 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Postby habitual » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:44 pm

alaska1125 wrote:*Gasp!* Jim Lee waterboarded his own mother??? Son of a bitch!!! :lol:
Seriously, I don't necessarily know where to come down on this. I tend to agree with the "sucky news sucks no matter when/where it comes from" school of thought, but Marz seems really pissed, so what do I know.

I went through this when I worked at a toy company and this is exactly the kind of thing that an Executive staff and Human Resource Department want to handle exactly the right way.

This was the opposite of that, I would expect that whomever revealed this to Rich should expect to lose their job.

So, well done Rich.

Hab

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 29 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:50 pm

habitual wrote:Reset the counter.

It was incredibly stupid for the powers that be at DC to inform someone outside the company of the move before informing their own employees.

Still Rich should expect a freeze out from DC PR all the same.

Hab

According to various comics bloggers, DC will fire anyone who's been outed as leaking stuff to Rich.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 955 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:53 pm

BlueStreak wrote:
According to various comics bloggers, DC will fire anyone who's been outed as leaking stuff to Rich.

Sounds like we need to convince the blogosphere the leak was Bob Harras. :P
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 388 posts

Postby Draco x » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:10 pm

And the DC Comics soap opera continues.......Seriously, I would love to see them make a reality show based on the blundering screw-ups surrounding DC.

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 698 posts
Title: Absent
Formerly: cyclone, Chili con Blarney

Postby outsider » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:14 pm

'Uncle Rich' is now officially a thing?
-

Mr. Log
rubber spoon

Liked in: 189 posts
Title: Bitch, I'm fabulous
Formerly: Log-Man

Postby Mr. Log » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:16 pm

Hey, Ron Marz, that's Uncle rumor-mongering shithead to you!

bkthomson
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 45 posts
Title: Invisible Man of the Outhouse

Postby bkthomson » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:18 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:
It just came out! I couldn't help it! :blush:

Bullshit, :P
I used to have goals. They were evil goals, but they were goals. -- Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

Dragavon wrote:He's being diplomatic again. :lol:

Zechs wrote:I have to repress you more. You're way too goodie two shoes.

Fat Ollie Weeks wrote:I swear to God, you are so boring sometimes I think you're just a stealth-mod-bot that Jude has coded.

GHERU

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 369 posts

Postby GHERU » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:21 pm

Uncle Rich is awesome!
RUviews
Benderbrau wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse. Where civility means you're doing it wrong.

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand