Advertisement

Superior Spider-Man #20 *The Wild Ride Never Ends Spoilers*

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 346 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Superior Spider-Man #20 *The Wild Ride Never Ends Spoilers*

Postby Zechs » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:15 pm

:shock:

This issue felt clustered, but was a welcome surprise. The whole Black Cat thing this issue was soliciated I thought something big might happen instead Spock gives Felicia the "Hank Pym" right in the face (knocking a tooth out). Then webbing her up declaring her a "bad guy" and leaves her for the police.

Okay this is my one problem with this series is that every single female is stupid in this save Carlie and Yuri. MJ has feelings this ain't Pete but hasn't put it together. Aunt May neither but given she isn't in his life anymore I can buy that. The other problem is just the complete drop of the Goblin subplot. WTF? #18 and still no continuation of that? COME ON.

When Pete comes back his love life and life in general in suit is gonna be a wreck save with Carlie and Yuri. Anyway, three other big things happen this issue. 1.) Stunner returns and the match-up between her and Spock next issue should be promising. 2.) The ending. Spock's been building up his own downfall and it's glorious. I was wondering when someone would put two and two together given Pete/Ock are two different ways of handling science and their theories with it. Spock gets called out for plagiarizing from a colleague who's looked at his work recognizing it of theories by Otto Octavius that never got recognition in the science field due to well him becoming a monster. I can't wait to see the depths were Spock goes here.

3.) This is a small thing but okay I just might have noticed this in this issue, but when the hell and how long has Sha-Shan been in this book? I mean it's a blast from the freaking 80s (or is it 70s? I forget when the hell she debuted as a supporting cast member) to see her in this book with this issue.

Anyway an average issue, but again like the previous just clustered with so much going on. Slott should have let it aired out more. I mean I get we're nearing #25, but it just feels like he's turned it up a notch hitting all these points on our way to it.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

Advertisement

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 468 posts

Re: Superior Spider-Man #20 *The Wild Ride Never Ends Spoile

Postby Draco x » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:55 pm

Does it bother anyone that only Carlie Cooper is able to figure out that something's not right with Peter but Mary Jane and everybody else hasn't come to this conclusion by this point? As intriguing as the Spock thing has been, it's annoying that no one has yet been suspicious enough to wonder why Peter is acting like a complete asshole and how Spider Man is acting like Azbats from Knighfall( Although JPV wasn't in control of his actions to be fair).

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 109 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:44 am

With all of that time-travel nonsense over with, and Horizon Labs shut down, it’s time for the Superior Spider-Man to move on to the future, but try as he might, Doc Ock’s past keeps catching up with him. In this issue, Dan Slott brings several elements from SpOck’s life before he became SpOck back to bite him in the ass, and it’s great to see a lot of these chickens coming home to roost.

First up is Peter Parker’s doctoral thesis presentation, which initially wows the professors, until Doctor Lamaze blasts Peter for plagiarising from Doctor Otto Octavius! I really like this move, and it shows how, for all the thinking outside of the box he’s done, Ock is still the same arrogant fool. He’s being accused of plagiarising himself in essence, and it may scupper all of his plans for Parker Industries, and that could spell bad news for a lot of people, as not only has he put all of Peter Parker’s savings into it as collateral, but Sajani Jaffrey and Jay Jameson have also invested. At this point, I’m looking at all of Otto’s decisions with one eye on ‘how fucked is Peter Parker going to be when he comes back to this?’ and this whole situation is totally going to screw Peter in so many ways.

At least Ock still has his burgeoning relationship with Anna Maria. Of course, at the same time as developing his romance with her, he’s ruining all of Peter Parker’s other female entanglements. MJ has been alienated, and seems to be moving towards a relationship with that Fireman, Carlie Cooper is pretty much onto him and is warning everyone else to stay away, and more immediately, Black Cat is now a full-time enemy. I loved how Slott went against what the cover to this issue suggested, and had Spider-Man fight Black Cat rather than flirt. It’s a clever move to have Ock not be aware that Spider-Man and Black Cat have a personal history and to just see her as a villain, and who knows, this move could be his biggest mistake.

I’ve kind of wandered away from my whole ‘Doc Ock’s past comes back to haunt him’ through-line, but the issue does feature throughout, and end with, the return of Stunner. If you don’t remember Stunner, because hey, she’s from 90s Spider-Man, and those were dark days, she was Octavius’ lab assistant, who, whilst obese, was able to create a virtual reality version of herself that was super-buff and super strong. She was in love with Doc Ock, and in this issue, she wakes up from a coma at the exact same moment as Peter Parker in Doc Ock’s body dies, and swears vengeance on the man she thinks killed her one true love… Spider-Man. So, not only is SpOck being accused of plagiarising himself, he’s also being punished for the murder of… himself. This is so cool, and it’s so good seeing Spider-Man’s back against the wall, and imagining how he’ll think his way out of these messes.

Camuncoli’s art was great throughout, and the best bit was that amazing panel of SpOck freaking out at Lamaze’s accusations and the impressionistic Superior Spidey appearing in the background, so cool. This book is, as we all know, so good, and as we near the endgame and the upcoming Goblin War, it’s great seeing Slott fully explore all of the ramifications and possible stories this concept can bring. Whoever thought that Stunner would return? Nobody, but it’s happened, and it’s
great.

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 902 posts
Title: Adventure is out there
Formerly: beta-ray

Postby sdsichero » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:32 pm

Zechs wrote:The other problem is just the complete drop of the Goblin subplot. WTF? #18 and still no continuation of that? COME ON.

Zechs wrote:Anyway an average issue, but again like the previous just clustered with so much going on.

Earlier Zechs please refer to later Zechs. (empahsis mine)

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1501 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:44 pm

Punchy wrote:At this point, I’m looking at all of Otto’s decisions with one eye on ‘how fucked is Peter Parker going to be when he comes back to this?’ and this whole situation is totally going to screw Peter in so many ways.

This has been one of my biggest fears since Otto took over Peter's body and one of the reasons why, aside from the Spider-Man 2099 issues, I haven't read this series.
ImageImageImage

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:48 pm

Grayson wrote:
This has been one of my biggest fears since Otto took over Peter's body and one of the reasons why, aside from the Spider-Man 2099 issues, I haven't read this series.

Why would you be afraid? The more fucked-up Peter Parker's life, the better!

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:51 pm

Punchy wrote:Why would you be afraid? The more fucked-up Peter Parker's life, the better!

Maybe for some. I'm just not interested in months of "but it really wasn't me!" storylines, while Peter claws his way back into everyone's good graces. I liked Peter Parker as a respected member of the Avengers, an employee of Horizon Labs, and finally getting respect from the people of New York. Then again, I also liked Peter Parker married to Mary Jane, so... :smt102
ImageImageImage

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Postby Zechs » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:17 pm

I think MJ and Carlie will be the easy parts. It's just that if a certain current love interest still survives the Goblin story what will become of her?

sdsichero wrote:

Zechs...is...

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:22 pm

Zechs wrote:I think MJ and Carlie will be the easy parts. It's just that if a certain current love interest still survives the Goblin story what will become of her?

Peter Parker doesn't have any "current" love interests. :smt017
ImageImageImage

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Postby Draco x » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:50 pm

Grayson wrote:

That is basically what I said on another thread where I am worried that when Peter comes back we're going to go back to the typical Parker luck characterization and a lot of the character growth he experienced over the last few years will be thrown out the window. I am expecting Peter will lose his job at Horizon and go back to the Daily Bugle to get by financially and even lose his spot on the Avengers or go back to living with Aunt May. I know that him being an a down on his luck loser is part of the character's charm but it's getting old to keep rehashing that over and over again.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:51 pm

Draco x wrote:I am expecting Peter will lose his job at Horizon

That happened during the Spider-Man 2099 arc. :-(
ImageImageImage

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Postby Draco x » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:56 pm

Grayson wrote:
That happened during the Spider-Man 2099 arc. :-(

Not surprised. Hopefully he can get it back at some point as I hope he doesn't have to go back to the Daily Bugle all over again. But knowing Marvel, this will most likely happen.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:40 pm

Grayson wrote:
Peter Parker doesn't have any "current" love interests. :smt017

Anna Maria Marconi

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Postby Zechs » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:42 pm

Punchy wrote:
Anna Maria Marconi

Yep. I wonder what's gonna happen. Will she become like that gal Otto once favored who realized the monster he became, or will a Goblin be her end? There is going to be no good end for this character, but I wonder who will do the damage? Otto himself or the Goblin?

sdsichero wrote:

Zechs...is...

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:59 pm

Punchy wrote:Anna Maria Marconi

OK but once again, Peter Parker doesn't have any "current" love interests.
ImageImageImage

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand