Advertisement

Indy Hunter Reviews: Keith Brown's, "It’s an "Extra Spooky Heebie-Jeebies Creepy Halloween!"

Do you have a comic or other project you want to promote? Feel free to post about it here, but don't just post and run. Sticking around and joining in other discussions is the best way to get Outhousers interested in your work. These topics will also show up in The News Stand and The Asylum, for maximum exposure.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 10 posts

Indy Hunter Reviews: Keith Brown's, "It’s an "Extra Spooky Heebie-Jeebies Creepy Halloween!"

Postby LOLtron » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:54 pm

Indy Hunter Reviews: Keith Brown's,

This October's Surprise is a special spooky review with creator Keith Brown's All-ages effort, "It’s an Extra Spooky Heebie-Jeebies Creepy Halloween!"

So what would the Inaugural issue of Indy Hunter Presents: The ZineSmiths be this October 31st without any mention of some spooky stories? I mean, we’re not always about doom and gloom, angry underground, us against them, rah, rah! No we celebrate and talk about artistic efforts of all kinds, for all ages here…

Speaking of walks?, The leaves are changing. I’m actually quite fond of this season, esp. the months of October to December. I look forward to all Hollow’s Eve themes flying across my TV and in the aisles of the stores I bless my presence with. (Wal-Mart, I just tolerate you). I enjoy me some pumpkin brews and Charlie Brown specials, and yes, I too, the Indy Hunter am cable of spawning young ones as well! 

With those young ones comes questions about all sorts of subjects, an uprising of new found fears we grown-ups have become jaded with, (or so we tell ourselves). Sometimes we need a bit of folk-lore to break down shapes, catchy hooks and rhythms to help communicate concepts. Sometimes we just need a Storyteller!

The All- Ages story, “It’s an Extra Spooky Heebie-Jeebies Creepy Halloween!” By creator Keith Brown prompted me to do I something that I rarely do. Rather than internalize what I’ve read before reviewing. I figured it was time to seek other experiences of the material outside myself, (next week bellybutton lint! I swear!).  So what was that? Who were they?

SPAWN OF HUNTER, I CALL THEE FORTH!

Basically I did the kid test when I started to review Mr. Brown’s all-ages story. I had my two oldest on my lap and we read through the story. Their eyes lit up, they asked questions. Once again, before I wrote this review I showed them the cover again just to make sure and they exclaimed “Ohh! I like that story, can we read it again?!” So as it stands, right here.... right now- Witness these words from my mouth! I am always on the lookout for something fun, spooky and charming that the little ones and I can read together and enjoy. My little gremlins are avid readers and tend to burn thru stories quickly, but one thing I can always rely on them for is to bring back a few of their favorites books quite often for us to read. (imagine how that feels when it's a book that sucks?!). 

In a family like ours where we like to put on Werewolf masks and scare each other, (I’m looking at you Uncle Scott!), or do drawings of things turned into monsters, stuff like adding some teeth to that Fairy Princess Pony Unicorn? Yea, that's us! It’s important for us to stock up on our favorite festive stories to read every season. I truly believe we’ve found another favorite in the form of Writer/Artists Keith Brown’s “It’s an Extra Spooky Heebie-Jeebies Creepy Halloween!” Never mind that I’m not the only one that likes adjectives in their titles!  I don't think my oldest will forget it when this time of the year comes around!

This Halloween rhythmic story follows our lead character, a lad dressed as a Pirate as he braves a night of trick or treat and neighborhood watchful worries from the things that go bump in the night. Author/Cartoonist Keith Brown playfully taps into those shapes and sounds that a young imagination warps into scary things with teeth and talons. It’s a fun ride as I read through the story, plentiful with twenty pages of monstrous mirth and watching the expression on my children’s faces as I played around with the emphasizing and meter of Mr. Brown’s spooky serenade.

Adults can read this and fall back on times when they too were scared of the shapes your night lite or the hallway lamp would make on the wall above your bed or across the room. It’s especially a treat…or is that a trick? (Yea I went there), trying to anticipate Mr. Brown’s  artwork that excels at contrasting  scary objects and descriptions right before the suspense of revealing what they actually are through our Pulse-pounding Pirate’s point of view. Brown's line art and images as a cartoonist are competent and light enough to pass even the six to almost thirty-six year old's eye brow test and Keith was also “fore-sightful “ enough to throw a few mazes/games in the back of the book for you and your child’s dueling pleasure.

I took a moment to ask Keith Brown what the motivation was for doing a story like this and here’s what he had to say:

“I wrote It's an Extra-Spooky 15 years ago. The title just pooped in my head and I had to run with it. It's nice to finally have a published version and so far it seems as if kids really enjoy it and that's all I could ever ask for.” –Keith Brown

To check out other works that Keith Brown has out now including his latest comic strip, “The Wages of Sin”, kindly click the link Spooky kid.

Written or Contributed by J.M. Hunter

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

Keith Brown
FACEBOOKTron

Liked in: 5 posts
Title: DOCILE ROBOT

RE: Indy Hunter Reviews: Keith Brown's, "It’s an "Extra Spooky Heebie-Jeebies Creepy Halloween!"

Postby Keith Brown » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:29 pm

Thanks so much for your kind words. I really appreciate it and I am thrilled your kids enjoyed it. Happy Halloween!

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The Creator's Corner