Advertisement

Ender's Game Fans Excited to Indirectly Support Homophobia and Bigotry This Friday

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 1090 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Re: Ender's Game Fans Excited to Indirectly Support Homophob

Postby The Old Doctor » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:38 am

I'd rather see Thor than Ender's Game.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

BubbaKanoosh wrote:Old Doctor is the NuDCU's Catscratch

Advertisement

Strict31
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 168 posts
Title: Ain't enough space bitches

Postby Strict31 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:45 am

Cat-Scratch wrote:I'd rather see Thor than Ender's Game.

Yes, but the Vikings were rapists and pillagers. I'd like to see Thor, but in good conscience, I cannot allow my entertainment budget to go towards supporting a violent figure from a religion from a culture that mercilessly slaughtered and raped other cultures just because they had bad-ass battle-axes and swords.

Luckily, I do not think the Vikings will see any of the profits from the movie's box-office returns, but make no mistake, going to see Thor is just like raping and pillaging the Saxon coast. Just sayin'.

"You must be proud, bold, pleasant, resolute,
And now and then stab, as occasion serves."

Edward II: Act 2 Scene 1, by Christopher Marlowe

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:54 am

Strict31 wrote:
Yes, but the Vikings were rapists and pillagers. I'd like to see Thor, but in good conscience, I cannot allow my entertainment budget to go towards supporting a violent figure from a religion from a culture that mercilessly slaughtered and raped other cultures just because they had bad-ass battle-axes and swords.

Luckily, I do not think the Vikings will see any of the profits from the movie's box-office returns, but make no mistake, going to see Thor is just like raping and pillaging the Saxon coast. Just sayin'.

Vikings are part of my cultural background. But it has more to do with the fact that I read the back back in the 80s and never thought it would make a good movie. That and I'm a Thor fan. Seeing Natalie Portman slap Loki. See others slap Loki. Thor being Thor. Sif swinging swords and hating on Jane. Kat Dennings.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 1053 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:01 pm

Straw man. The Vikings aren't still around doing those things. Card is still around, and could very easily use his newfound prominence to write an article calling for gays to be imprisoned or to fund an organization bent on preventing gay marriage.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Lord Simian
The Lord of the Monkeys

Liked in: 345 posts

Postby Lord Simian » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:10 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:Straw man. The Vikings aren't still around doing those things. Card is still around, and could very easily use his newfound prominence to write an article calling for gays to be imprisoned or to fund an organization bent on preventing gay marriage.

Straw man. Card is, actually, on record saying that fighting against gay marriage is over now a, that the recent DOMA ruling rendered that fight a "moot point", so he's not likely to pick up weapons again.

Strict31
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Strict31 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:16 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:Straw man. The Vikings aren't still around doing those things. Card is still around, and could very easily use his newfound prominence to write an article calling for gays to be imprisoned or to fund an organization bent on preventing gay marriage.

Again, I'm not sure if you're using the terms you're using in the manner they were actually meant. And you are participating in a slippery slope fallacy in any event. Card does not need any further prominence to write any of his articles; he's already done so.

And let's be honest; the only reason the Vikings aren't still doing this is because battle-axes are no longer the most efficient method of global policy change.

But at the same time, I was unaware there was a statute of limitations on atrocity. I will now inform all Jews that it's time to get over the Holocaust. I have already spoken to all black people about the matter of getting over slavery. But take heed, heterosexual white males; you only have five years left to be outraged at your marginalization from society at the hands of Obama.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 6 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:16 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:Straw man. The Vikings aren't still around doing those things.

So you advocate being culturally insensitive in the representation of them? Sorry Jude, you are not being politically-correct enough here--the latest gen of pretend-activists I see on the campus recently shamed one of their own out of dressing as Cleopatra for not-Halloween.

And Card already admitted defeat as well!

jeremy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 7 posts
Title: www.jeremyshane.info
Formerly: xaraan

Postby jeremy » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:19 pm

Not sure how I feel about this personally. I don't support his views, but don't know that I can find it in me to hate the man for them. I'll probably see Ender's Game later, I've read the book long ago (it was great) and my youngest boy read the book and loved it as well. For me, the messages in Ender's Game were good and I'd much rather see those messages spread than try and promote a cause against Card which brings more attention to his personal messages (and I'd much rather see my kids reading more books that they find interest in).

As for those personal messages, he has stated that the fight for what he believes is lost and seems to have put it aside. I doubt he has changed his mind on anything, but this is usually how social change happens - the older/stuck in their ways people get moved aside and progress occurs as time goes on. If I hated Card for his beliefs, I'd have to hate my own dad as well and I can't find it in my heart to do that, despite some of their bigoted beliefs. Let them stay in their closed worlds, the rest of the world is moving on.

Strict31
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Strict31 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:19 pm

Cat-Scratch wrote:
Kat Dennings.

I refuse to seer this movie because a white woman with big breasteses once refused to let me put sex into her butt.

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 897 posts
Title: Absent
Formerly: cyclone, Chili con Blarney

Postby outsider » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:24 pm

Strict31 wrote:
I refuse to seer this movie because a white woman with big breasteses once refused to let me put sex into her butt.
...so the second time you asked, she acquiesced? :groucho:
-

achilles
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 293 posts
Title: Much Eviler Than GOSD!

Postby achilles » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:28 pm

Strict31 wrote:
This demands further investigation. I suggest we table the discussion for now and reconvene after we've examined the financial impact upon the Key Grip (and all the Grips he or she supervises).

What about all the Best Boys? And are there Worst Boys? And isn't that all sort of sexist? Shouldn't there be Best Girls?

And wouldn't that be patronizing and more than a bit anti-woman? Shouldn't it really be Best Woman and Best Man? Though the latter might lead to some confusion in wedding movies, so it should really be Best Person.

And won't all the ordinary grips feel bad? Shouldn't they all be Key Grips?
Achilles is the kind of evil that hollows out a volcano for a lair, and sends killer robots after his enemies.---Lord Simian

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:31 pm

Strict31 wrote:

You really should not have been using Psivage on her then.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 6 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:32 pm

This is why I don't go to the theater, there are too many questions to be asked first. I don't really want to support anyone I don't like, I would be a hypocrite in the eyes of the internets!

Strict31
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Strict31 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:39 pm

outsider wrote:...so the second time you asked, she acquiesced? :groucho:

The second time, I wasn't asking... 8)

Because "no" means no... :-(

Strict31
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Strict31 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:40 pm

Cat-Scratch wrote:
You really should not have been using Psivage on her then.

But she said she liked the concept of a Friend Pit.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum