Advertisement

Damian: Son Of Batman #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 293 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Damian: Son Of Batman #1

Postby IvCNuB4 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:33 am

DC Blog

This month, this possible future will be revisited and explored in an all-new 4-issue limited series from Damian’s co-creator, Andy Kubert.

“He's the same wise guy we've always seen, but we'll see how he matures. He has to make some difficult choices that will make him grow not only as a superhero but a young superhero into adulthood.”

“The major difference is that Damian kills or has killed and Bruce does not. Damian is a hot head. Bruce is cool and calm. Damian is short. Bruce is -- oh, forget it,” Kubert teased about what separates Bruce and Damian Wayne when they pick up the Dark Knight’s cape and cowl. “I think their major similarity is that they both have a deep respect for what they believe is right and what is wrong. They both probably have different thoughts as to what is right and wrong, but they are deep into their beliefs of that. If Damian thinks someone should be killed, then he deeply thinks that someone, justifiably, should not be walking the Earth anymore.”

Read the full interview with Kubert about his writing and art process on this mini-series here.

DAMIAN: SON OF BATMAN #1 goes on sale October 30.

Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Advertisement

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Re: Damian: Son Of Batman #1

Postby IvCNuB4 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:56 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:27 pm

Despite that crappy looking Damian pose ( :? ) on page 1 the rest of the art is fairly decent.

Last page cliff-hanger ! Wonder if that's a swerve or .....

Flynn the Pirate
OMCTO

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Flynn the Pirate » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:40 pm

The guy at my LCS talked me into giving this a try. The art was beautiful.

The story was... not so much.

TimDrake'sDumbWings
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 1 post
Title: I mean... ROBINS have wings...
Formerly: DOOP SPEAK

Postby TimDrake'sDumbWings » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:09 pm

I actually thought this mini looked pretty interesting. Not sure if it's $4 worth of interesting, though. Also, I think I'd like to read Morrison's run before tackling this.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 52 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:33 pm

In many ways, Damian Wayne is the reason I started to care about Batman again. Throughout the 1990s and the early part of the 2000s, the world of Batman felt stagnant, the same characters doing the same shit and nobody being willing to change things. But then Grant Morrison and Damian came along, and things started moving again. Of course, I was sad when Morrison killed off Damian in Batman Inc, but it was his creation, and his story, and I accept that, but that doesn’t mean I’m not pleased as punch that one of Damian’s co-creators has returned to tell an out-of-continuity story with him. It’s just a shame that it’s not Morrison that’s come back, but Andy Kubert, the artist who first drew the character way back in Batman #655.

I am being a bit harsh, as Kubert’s art here is fantastic, he’s always been excellent, but I really am loving the fact that little bits of his legendary dad, Joe Kubert’s style is seeping into his work. Part of that was because Joe had been inking him, but that’s still continuing on after Joe’s death, which is great to see. But as good as the artwork is here, I don’t think Andy is much of a writer at this point, of course, this book isn’t bad per se, it’s just a bit boring and average. I will say that I will be buying the rest of this series, and that Kubert should be given time to grow as a writer, like his dad did, but if you’re looking for something on a par with what Grant Morrison did with Damian, then this ain’t it. But as I said, it is well worth reading for the art.

The plot here is pretty simple, in this alternate reality, Damian didn’t die, and is still Robin as an older teenager. As he and Batman investigate a mass of dead bodies and fish down at the docks, Batman sees one of those famous ‘Joker Fish’, which explodes and kills him. Yep, Batman is dead. Damian is of course pretty pissed off, and he goes to see his mother and grandfather, Talia and Ra’s Al Ghul to ask for the help from the League Of Assassins to get revenge on whoever killed Batman. They refuse, and cut ties between the League and Damian. Interestingly, Ra’s tells Damian that he should become the new Batman, which he refuses. Why would one of Batman’s biggest enemies want a new Bats? I like it when Ra’s is a bit unpredictable and weird like this.

So, as his other family has refused his help, Damian tries to take revenge on his own. In what is probably the worst part of the issue, he goes after all of the villains who claim to have killed Batman, and kills them. I don’t have a problem with this idea really, but it’s the way Kubert did it, with the likes of Mister Freeze and Killer Croc claiming they killed Batman on some kind of villains-only version of Facebook, which is just stupid, even for Batman villains. At least Jackanapes went to the papers. In another weird scene, Damian goes to Catholic Confession, to, duh, confess his sins, and it seemed liked the Priest here was meant to be Commissioner Gordon, which also, makes little sense. After this, Alfred confronts Damian with his suspicions about who’s been killing all these villains, and goes on about how Batman was against killing, blah blah blah. Damian storms off, saying he doesn’t need Alfred, and that he’s going to find The Joker, but then… Batman shows up, completely alive.

It’s quite a surprising ending, and I am interested to see what that deal is (he’s probably a clone made by Ra’s), and there is the fact that the person who ‘killed’ Batman probably isn’t The Joker, but really, the story here is kind of dumb. It all depends on the next few issues if it’s the good kind of dumb or the bad kind of dumb. I wouldn’t exactly recommend this book, but the art is amazing, if you like Damian as much as me, certainly pick it up, but don’t go expecting Morrison is all.

comicgeek19
Fish-Smackin' Knight

damian, son of batman

Postby comicgeek19 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:51 am

why was it printed on that really crappy paper? to make it worse it was 4 bucks!?!? :smt102

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 621 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Re: damian, son of batman

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:53 am

I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

comicgeek19
Fish-Smackin' Knight

Postby comicgeek19 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:56 am

make that zero days :evil:

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 621 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:10 am

:lol:
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

comicgeek19
Fish-Smackin' Knight

Postby comicgeek19 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:16 am

WHY WAS THE PAPER SO CRAPY!!! :smt013

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 101 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:07 am

Sandman Overture #1 cost so much to product that cuts had to be made somewhere.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

The Bass

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby The Bass » Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:44 pm

I don't want to call this the worst thing I've read in a while, but its pretty damn close....

Lord Ice
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 90 posts

Postby Lord Ice » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:02 pm

comicgeek19 wrote:WHY WAS THE PAPER SO CRAPY!!! :smt013

Worse than the type of paper most comics are printed on today?

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand