Advertisement

What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Arion
User avatar
Twenty-Something
 
Posts: 17660
Likes: 3 posts
Liked in: 22 posts
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:53 am
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com


Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Arion » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:06 pm

LobsterJ wrote:If anybody is reading the Unwritten still "Tommy Taylor and the Ship That Sank Twice" is excellent. I need to dig up Mike Carey's X-men stuff because he is excellent on this and Lucifer was also great.


I actually just read it.

You can read my opinions about Tommy Taylor & the Ship That Sank Twice here:
http://artbyarion.blogspot.com/2013/10/ ... -mike.html

Enjoy!

Advertisement

Grayson
User avatar
Outhouse Drafter
 
Posts: 7313
Likes: 26 posts
Liked in: 43 posts
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:34 am
Location: The Darkest Timeline
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie


Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Grayson » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:42 pm

Image

Guardians of the Galaxy (2013) Vol. 1: Cosmic Avengers - Over the weekend, I found myself with a little bit of store credit at a local comic shop that I don't ordinarily frequent so I decided to cash it in for this book. I'm just going to go ahead and get this out of the way, this book was not worth $24.99. For twenty five dollars, I expect to get a little more than 4 issues and some material that was and is still free on the internet. Now that I have that out of the way, I will say that I liked this arc a little bit more than I thought I would but just as Bendis started to piqued my interest, it just ended. Bendis' Guardians of the Galaxy series may have some promise, even though he demonstrates that he doesn't really know the characters very well, but this collection was poorly and possibly hastily assembled. If I had paid for this, I would have been pissed.
ImageImageImage

Arion
User avatar
Twenty-Something
 
Posts: 17660
Likes: 3 posts
Liked in: 22 posts
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:53 am
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com


Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Arion » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:26 pm

I thought those HCs had 5 issues. I hate how Marvel's HC are so expensive anyway. Even with 5 issues, originally priced at 3.99, you are still paying 5 extra bucks for it. Why would anyone want to wait for a collected edition is something I might never understand.

Grayson
User avatar
Outhouse Drafter
 
Posts: 7313
Likes: 26 posts
Liked in: 43 posts
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:34 am
Location: The Darkest Timeline
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie


Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Grayson » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:25 pm

Arion wrote:I thought those HCs had 5 issues. I hate how Marvel's HC are so expensive anyway. Even with 5 issues, originally priced at 3.99, you are still paying 5 extra bucks for it. Why would anyone want to wait for a collected edition is something I might never understand.


If you count the material that was a free to download on-line through Marvel's Comic app, you could consider the Guardians of the Galaxy hardcover to have 5 issues. However, even though the material happens prior to the main story of this collection, they place it in the back of the book which could make it confusing to newer readers. I love hardcovers but all things considered, this one is easily the most disappointing. :-(
ImageImageImage

Arion
User avatar
Twenty-Something
 
Posts: 17660
Likes: 3 posts
Liked in: 22 posts
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:53 am
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com


Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Arion » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:40 pm

Grayson wrote:
If you count the material that was a free to download on-line through Marvel's Comic app, you could consider the Guardians of the Galaxy hardcover to have 5 issues. However, even though the material happens prior to the main story of this collection, they place it in the back of the book which could make it confusing to newer readers. I love hardcovers but all things considered, this one is easily the most disappointing. :-(


If that material was free, then I would have felt ripped off.
Anyway, at least it had nice McNiven art, right?

Grayson
User avatar
Outhouse Drafter
 
Posts: 7313
Likes: 26 posts
Liked in: 43 posts
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:34 am
Location: The Darkest Timeline
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie


Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Grayson » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:55 pm

Arion wrote:If that material was free, then I would have felt ripped off.
Anyway, at least it had nice McNiven art, right?


Yeah, it definitely had that going for it. So between the issue I bought for Francesco Francavilla's art and this collection, I have now been buying the current Guardians of the Galaxy series solely for the art. :|
ImageImageImage

Keb
User avatar
<( ' . ' )>
 
Posts: 39113
Likes: 23 posts
Liked in: 6 posts
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:14 pm
Location: Right near de mountains, boy!
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps


Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Keb » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:36 pm

The Marvel NOW HCs are a rip-off at full price. Buy them online where you can get a discount, otherwise you're better off buying single issues.

Grayson
User avatar
Outhouse Drafter
 
Posts: 7313
Likes: 26 posts
Liked in: 43 posts
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:34 am
Location: The Darkest Timeline
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie


Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Grayson » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:46 pm

Keb wrote:The Marvel NOW HCs are a rip-off at full price. Buy them online where you can get a discount, otherwise you're better off buying single issues.


In my defense, the store that I had store credit for isn't exactly known for their selection so I didn't have a lot of choices. If it were any other comic store in the area, I would have bought something else.

Chocolate Chips
User avatar
Whippersnapper
 
Posts: 14
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:37 am


Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Chocolate Chips » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:22 am

This is interesting. I don't read reviews, but I assumed other readers liked GotG as much as I do. Apparently not. I buy through Amazon and if you start a series in trade or HC (such as I have this and all the Fables trades) it's nice to keep getting them in that format. Basically I buy super hero stuff monthly and other stuff in trades and HCs.
Image
If you're telekinetic and you know it, clap my hands.

Keb
User avatar
<( ' . ' )>
 
Posts: 39113
Likes: 23 posts
Liked in: 6 posts
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:14 pm
Location: Right near de mountains, boy!
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps


Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Keb » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:24 am

Grayson wrote:
In my defense, the store that I had store credit for isn't exactly known for their selection so I didn't have a lot of choices. If it were any other comic store in the area, I would have bought something else.

Should've just told them to give you your money back or else you'd call your boy with the bald head and big beard.

Grayson
User avatar
Outhouse Drafter
 
Posts: 7313
Likes: 26 posts
Liked in: 43 posts
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:34 am
Location: The Darkest Timeline
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie


Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Grayson » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:05 am

Keb wrote:Should've just told them to give you your money back or else you'd call your boy with the bald head and big beard.


After we moved into our new place, we just had a lot of random junk that we didn't need anymore like an old X-Box and a bunch of PSone games. This store was the closest store that bought used games, so I don't feel like I lost out on anything. Although, considering how disappointed I was with the actual hardcover itself, I may still go back and demand my credit back just on principle alone.

Chocolate Chips wrote:This is interesting. I don't read reviews, but I assumed other readers liked GotG as much as I do. Apparently not. I buy through Amazon and if you start a series in trade or HC (such as I have this and all the Fables trades) it's nice to keep getting them in that format. Basically I buy super hero stuff monthly and other stuff in trades and HCs.


It's not that I don't like the current Guardians of the Galaxy series. It's flawed and it's definitely not as good as the previous Guardians series but Bendis does set up some interesting ideas. The problem is that this hardcover was poorly assembled and over priced. There are so many good collections out there right now, that it kind of surprises me that anybody would put such a disappointing book on the shelves.
ImageImageImage

Arion
User avatar
Twenty-Something
 
Posts: 17660
Likes: 3 posts
Liked in: 22 posts
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:53 am
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com


Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Arion » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:37 pm

Grayson wrote:
Yeah, it definitely had that going for it. So between the issue I bought for Francesco Francavilla's art and this collection, I have now been buying the current Guardians of the Galaxy series solely for the art. :|


Nothing wrong about that. I always buy some titles because I love the artist, if the story is bad at least I know I'll enjoy the artist's work.

Keb
User avatar
<( ' . ' )>
 
Posts: 39113
Likes: 23 posts
Liked in: 6 posts
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:14 pm
Location: Right near de mountains, boy!
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps


Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Keb » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:13 pm

Well Sakie, at least it didn't cost you anything big.

Did you get the new Manhattan Projects book today?

Grayson
User avatar
Outhouse Drafter
 
Posts: 7313
Likes: 26 posts
Liked in: 43 posts
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:34 am
Location: The Darkest Timeline
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie


Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Grayson » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:58 pm

Keb wrote:Well Sakie, at least it didn't cost you anything big.

Did you get the new Manhattan Projects book today?


No, I have been buying the single issues of Manhattan Projects since the second volume was released. I did pick up the Hawkeye hardcover though.

Arion
User avatar
Twenty-Something
 
Posts: 17660
Likes: 3 posts
Liked in: 22 posts
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:53 am
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com


Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Arion » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:50 pm

Keb wrote:The Marvel NOW HCs are a rip-off at full price. Buy them online where you can get a discount, otherwise you're better off buying single issues.


Discounts are the only thing that allows me to buy comics each month.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 45 guests

Advertisement