Sunday, August 28, 2016 • Morning Edition • "At least we're not CBR!"

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Marvel Announces New Ms. Marvel Series Starring Muslim-American Teenager

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

User avatar

Lord Simian

The Lord of the Monkeys

Postby Lord Simian » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:36 pm

GLX wrote:Anyone else feel less inclined to pick this up after reading this?

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=48963


I feel less inclined to read CBR, if that's what you mean...
User avatar

bkthomson

Rain Partier

Postby bkthomson » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:47 pm

I'm buying it. I really do not see what is the bug deal. I mean spider girl was Latina a while ago and no one cried foul on that.
User avatar

S.F. Jude Terror

OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:09 pm

GLX wrote:Anyone else feel less inclined to pick this up after reading this?

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=48963



As a white dude, I can't really imagine the joy that the entire Muslim and/or Pakistani readership felt yesterday when they learned that after years of Marvel fandom they'd finally gotten a leading character of their own. But also as a white dude, I can't really imagine what's happening in the brains of other white dudes that makes them take to comment threads and partake in a round of "Check Your Privilege." What's going on, guys?


Did someone leave a douche open? It's getting kind of chilly in here.
User avatar

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:12 pm

How did I know that was Brett White before I clicked the link?

So typical.
User avatar

S.F. Jude Terror

OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:19 pm

Punchy wrote:How did I know that was Brett White before I clicked the link?

So typical.


I want to write an article now: Congratulations, Minorities: White Dude Approves of New Ms Marvel Comic
User avatar

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:29 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:
I want to write an article now: Congratulations, Minorities: White Dude Approves of New Ms Marvel Comic


Do it.

The real issue I have with books like this, that are part of the push towards diversity, is that there's a subset of comics fans that will praise it and love it no matter what, because they want to be seen as tolerant. It's like Pretty Deadly, people were cosplaying that book and raving about it before it even came out. There's probably a 'Fuck Yeah Kamala Khan' Tumblr right now, and we don't even know if the book will be good or not, she hasn't appeared yet.

People are more concerned about how diverse a book will be (and how good and superior it will make them look by reading it) than whether it's actually good.
User avatar

GHERU

Rain Partier

Postby GHERU » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:39 pm

Comic book fanboys - We want new characters / ideas! But don't you dare try and market those new characters / ideas!
User avatar

S.F. Jude Terror

OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:55 pm

Punchy wrote:
Do it.

The real issue I have with books like this, that are part of the push towards diversity, is that there's a subset of comics fans that will praise it and love it no matter what, because they want to be seen as tolerant. It's like Pretty Deadly, people were cosplaying that book and raving about it before it even came out. There's probably a 'Fuck Yeah Kamala Khan' Tumblr right now, and we don't even know if the book will be good or not, she hasn't appeared yet.

People are more concerned about how diverse a book will be (and how good and superior it will make them look by reading it) than whether it's actually good.


Maybe people are just excited for something different? Tired of the same old crap? I think this is a good idea for a comic, and I'll check it out. I would be interested in reading about muslim characters.

I just think that article was a little on the douchey, white knight side with all the "as a white dude, I apologize for the actions of those other white dudes."

Do you want a medal for not having a problem with this comic?
User avatar

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:58 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:
Maybe people are just excited for something different? Tired of the same old crap? I think this is a good idea for a comic, and I'll check it out. I would be interested in reading about muslim characters.

I just think that article was a little on the douchey, white knight side with all the "as a white dude, I apologize for the actions of those other white dudes."

I don't think any of these books are different, it's all the same superhero stuff, just with a different skin colour or whatever.

Do you want a medal for not having a problem with this comic?
User avatar

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:58 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:
Maybe people are just excited for something different? Tired of the same old crap? I think this is a good idea for a comic, and I'll check it out. I would be interested in reading about muslim characters.

I just think that article was a little on the douchey, white knight side with all the "as a white dude, I apologize for the actions of those other white dudes."

I don't think any of these books are different, it's all the same superhero stuff, just with a different skin colour or whatever.

Do you want a medal for not having a problem with this comic?
User avatar

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:58 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:
Maybe people are just excited for something different? Tired of the same old crap? I think this is a good idea for a comic, and I'll check it out. I would be interested in reading about muslim characters.

I just think that article was a little on the douchey, white knight side with all the "as a white dude, I apologize for the actions of those other white dudes."

Do you want a medal for not having a problem with this comic?


I don't think any of these books are different, it's all the same superhero stuff, just with a different skin colour or whatever.
User avatar

S.F. Jude Terror

OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:59 pm

Punchy wrote:
I don't think any of these books are different, it's all the same superhero stuff, just with a different skin colour or whatever.


So you don't think there are any cultural differences that would make a book focusing on muslim characters in any way different from one focusing on white characters? Now who's being PC?
User avatar

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:05 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:
So you don't think there are any cultural differences that would make a book focusing on muslim characters in any way different from one focusing on white characters? Now who's being PC?


Nothing that's going to be interesting for very long.

Take Simon Baz, there's stuff in his character with people thinking he's a terrorist just because he's Arabic, but the more interesting stuff is his sister and brother-in-law, stuff that's relatable to all cultures.

Or Miles Morales, the stuff that makes him interesting is not his race.
User avatar

S.F. Jude Terror

OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:17 pm

Punchy wrote:
Nothing that's going to be interesting for very long.

Take Simon Baz, there's stuff in his character with people thinking he's a terrorist just because he's Arabic, but the more interesting stuff is his sister and brother-in-law, stuff that's relatable to all cultures.

Or Miles Morales, the stuff that makes him interesting is not his race.


But Baz was written by Geoff Johns, who is really like a step above Rob Liefeld, and was very hamfisted. Also, DC.
User avatar

S.F. Jude Terror

OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:18 pm

I guess all characters should just be white since there's nothing to be gained by making non-white characters.
/Punchy'd

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 38 guests