Advertisement

Marvel: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Premieres Tonight

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

PDH
penile prisoner

Liked in: 65 posts

Re: Marvel: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Premieres Tonight

Postby PDH » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:10 pm

Not seen the latest episode of this (had, like four hours to myself in the last two weeks) but I seem to like this show way more than the rest of the internet does. Maybe I just have weird taste in TV shows. :smt102

Advertisement

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 41 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:15 pm

I like it. I feel like every episode has been better than the last.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:16 pm

I didn't catch this week's episode.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 130 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:19 pm

outsider wrote:It would only help Marvel and do next to nothing for Sony (short of a huge payoff deal), so I could see Sony telling them to piss off.

Given Sony's recent financial troubles, especially with the entertainment division, it might be open to listen to a reasonable offer.
TOKYO — After tantalizing investors with signs of a financial turnaround in the spring, Sony said on Thursday that it swung back to a loss in its summer quarter as strong sales of smartphones were not enough to overcome a dismal performance by the company’s Hollywood arm.

The problems in Sony’s movie unit contributed to a net loss of 19.3 billion yen, or $197 million, in the most recent quarter, which ended Sept. 30. A year earlier, Sony posted a loss of 15.5 billion yen.

While Sony was expected to post weak results in the most recent period, the company surprised analysts by downgrading its outlook for the full fiscal year, which ends in the spring. The company said it now expected operating earnings of ¥170 billion, down from a previous forecast of ¥230 billion.

Adding to the company’s woes, Sony reported weaker-than-expected sales of televisions, raising concerns that the electronics division would continue to drag down results even if the movie business, which is more volatile, bounces back. That prompted a sharp sell-off in the company’s stock on Friday morning in Tokyo, where shares were down more than 10 percent at one point.

Atul Goyal, an analyst at Jefferies, said Sony ought to borrow a page from the playbook of another Japanese electronics company, Panasonic, which this week raised the forecast for its annual operating profit after getting out of most consumer electronics businesses and focusing on selling to other companies instead.

For Sony, “their electronics business is in a death spiral and the value is in an exit,” said Mr. Goyal, who downgraded his recommendation on the stock from buy to hold.

Investors have been looking for an increase in sales from the Sony PlayStation 4 game console, which is scheduled to go on sale in the United States and Europe this month.

“This set of results does remind that Sony without the PS4 or Xperia smartphones is still faced with a difficult situation profitwise,” said Damian Thong, an analyst at Macquarie Capital Securities.

In Sony’s fiscal first quarter, which ended June 30, the company surprised investors on the upside, as strong sales of smartphones bolstered its results. The mobile division did well in the most recent quarter, too, showing a sales increase of 39 percent, helped by the weakness of the yen.

But the motion picture division did poorly. The company was also hurt by lower revenue from television licensing and home entertainment businesses.

Sony’s Hollywood division has been the focus of Daniel Loeb, an investor whose hedge fund company, Third Point, owns a 6.5 percent stake in Sony. Mr. Loeb, in a letter to Sony management in May, complained about what he described as lax financial controls at Sony Pictures.

Sony’s board has rejected Mr. Loeb’s proposal for a partial spinoff of the company’s entertainment arm. Sony has scheduled a Sony Entertainment investor day for Nov. 21 at the studio’s headquarters in Culver City, Calif., following up on a commitment to Mr. Loeb by Kazuo Hirai, the Sony chief executive, for more transparency about the unit’s operations.

Before the recent downturn in the entertainment division’s results, investors focused their attention on the electronics business. The weakness in electronics persisted in the most recent quarter, when television sales were weaker than expected. While a weak yen has generally helped Sony, the company said a recent decline in the value of some developing countries’ currencies had, in turn, contributed to the weakness in TVs.

Mr. Hirai has made a turnaround in electronics a priority since he became chief executive last year, with smartphones featuring prominently in his plans. A new model, the Xperia X1, “has caused quite a stir globally,” Yoshinori Hashitani, vice president of investor relations, said in a conference call.

In the most recent quarter, Sony posted overall sales of ¥1.78 trillion, up from ¥1.6 trillion a year earlier, but the results were helped by the weakness of the yen, which increases the value of repatriated earnings from exports. In constant currency terms, sales fell 9 percent from a year earlier, Sony said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/01/technology/sony-blames-box-office-trouble-for-its-quarterly-loss.html?_r=0

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 432 posts
Formerly: AMS

Postby Rockman » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:25 pm

Latest episode was fantastic.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 993 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:53 pm

I agree with the sentiment that this was the best episode so far especially since 2 of my least favorite characters, Fitz and Simmons, finally received some much needed character development. I'll even go as far as to say that I was really pulling for Fitz to save the day, so much so that I was actually mad when Ward took the parachute away from him and jumped out of the plane instead. We get it Ward, you are supposed to be awesome at everything but it's already getting old and it's not really allowing anybody else the opportunity to shine.

I also really enjoyed the further development of Coulson this week. It seems like he is starting to catch on that something isn't right with the way that he was brought back and his scenes with May were highlights of the episode for me.
ImageImageImage

misac
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 103 posts

Postby misac » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:47 pm

Grayson wrote:I agree with the sentiment that this was the best episode so far especially since 2 of my least favorite characters, Fitz and Simmons, finally received some much needed character development. I'll even go as far as to say that I was really pulling for Fitz to save the day, so much so that I was actually mad when Ward took the parachute away from him and jumped out of the plane instead. We get it Ward, you are supposed to be awesome at everything but it's already getting old and it's not really allowing anybody else the opportunity to shine.

I also really enjoyed the further development of Coulson this week. It seems like he is starting to catch on that something isn't right with the way that he was brought back and his scenes with May were highlights of the episode for me.

I didn’t mind Ward saving Simmons. That fact that Fitz was willing to try was enough for me, showed real courage. He would have totally botched it anyway. :P

HNutz
PЦИKЧ ВЯЁ&#106

Liked in: 562 posts

Postby HNutz » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:51 pm

misac wrote:
I didn’t mind Ward saving Simmons. That fact that Fitz was willing to try was enough for me, showed real courage. He would have totally botched it anyway. :P

Yeah, the fact that he grabbed the parachute and was about to jump instead of asking someone to go instead was pretty impressive to me.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 993 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:05 pm

misac wrote:I didn’t mind Ward saving Simmons. That fact that Fitz was willing to try was enough for me, showed real courage. He would have totally botched it anyway. :P

HNutz wrote:Yeah, the fact that he grabbed the parachute and was about to jump instead of asking someone to go instead was pretty impressive to me.

Oh, I appreciated the fact that Fitz was going to jump out of the plane to save Simmons. I just had a problem with Ward making the save when there are other competent people on that plane too. Coulson or May could have appeared out of nowhere and made the save just as easily as Ward but instead we got another episode where Ward shows up in the nick of time and saves the damsel in distress. In my opinion, it was just the weakest part of what was otherwise a really good episode.
ImageImageImage

HNutz
PЦИKЧ ВЯЁ&#106

Liked in: 562 posts

Postby HNutz » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:23 pm

Heh... "Tahiti's a... magical place"... "he's acting like a robot version of himself" ...

Still no new clues about Coulson.

digging the two-man mission so far.

Coulson doesn't much like it when Skye and Simmons snuck a look at some files. And he really didn't like hearing that there was no extraction team planned for the rest of his team. So they went to go get them.

Coulson finds out about Skye's file, that the redacted parts mention an agent (who may or may not have been her mother) dropping her off as a newborn... but apparently there's more to this story that Coulson "can't" tell Skye and he asked May for help finding out more.
Honestly, I didn't quite catch what happened there...

Also... Coulson calls about his file but apparently he doesn't have access to his medical file. Uh oh...

I REALLY liked this one, too. I think they're getting better...

Chessack
cheese

Liked in: 345 posts
Title: Kara Zor-El's biggest fan

Postby Chessack » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:45 pm

I thought this was probably the best episode yet. This, to me, is what a SHIELD episode should be about. Espionage and intrigue and more normal-type enemies and plots. Leave the over-the-top stuff to the Avengers. That's what they're there for anyway.

As for the redacted Skye stuff... could anyone tell what the picture was that May was looking at? I rewound it and freeze-framed it and tried to figure it out. It looked like a dead body but I couldn't tell any more than that, or even if it was one.

troysshr
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 426 posts
Title: I'm a Paul Heyman Guy.
Formerly: T-Rex

Postby troysshr » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:46 pm

Definitely my favorite episode of the season thus far. Little things like Victoria Hand, them mentioning Hawkeye and Black Widow, more spy/espionage stuff that actually feels like SHIELD happenings, those are things that made it feel like it was part of the actual bigger Marvel Universe to me. I definitely think this episode had the little bits that I thought had been missing and I loved it. I hope they continue to go in this direction with future episodes. Things with Coulson moving forward, finding out more about Skye's parents, who I hope were Hydra Agents that experimented on their daughter that will eventually reveal Skye to be Spider-Woman! Anyways great episode!
ImageImageImage

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 210 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:52 am

Tahiti seems like a forced reaction which Coulson caught on to this ep.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 757 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:23 am

Worst episode ever!

Nah it was pretty good.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Strict31
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 167 posts
Title: Ain't enough space bitches

Postby Strict31 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:53 am

I'm glad that they're doing more with Fitz and Simmons than just having them say technobabble every five minutes. I feel like they're actual characters now, and I'm starting to really give a shit about what happens. At the beginning of both of the past two episodes, I was sorta hoping either of them would get killed off, and at the end of both episodes, I'm glad they're still around.

Maybe the next episode will make me feel that way about James Bond Jr.

"You must be proud, bold, pleasant, resolute,
And now and then stab, as occasion serves."

Edward II: Act 2 Scene 1, by Christopher Marlowe

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum