Monday, June 27, 2016 • Morning Edition • "We put the "O" in OCD."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Marvel Announces New Ms. Marvel Series Starring Muslim-American Teenager

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:01 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:I guess all characters should just be white since there's nothing to be gained by making non-white characters.
/Punchy'd

Way to put words in my mouth!

Herald

Regular-Sized Poster

Postby Herald » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:15 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:
So you don't think there are any cultural differences that would make a book focusing on muslim characters in any way different from one focusing on white characters? Now who's being PC?

Punchy wrote:Nothing that's going to be interesting for very long.

That's Punchyyyyyyyy!! :smt102 :lol:

Rockman

Rain Partier

Postby Rockman » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:20 pm

There was a time an announcement like this would lead to a multi-page argument about racism and junk. Good job mods that it didn't happen, I guess if that's what you want :cry:

Tintin Quarantino

Rain Partier

Postby Tintin Quarantino » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:23 pm

Being Muslim isn't a race, though. The writer's white and American.

bkthomson

Rain Partier

Postby bkthomson » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:24 pm

Rockman wrote:There was a time an announcement like this would lead to a multi-page argument about racism and junk. Good job mods that it didn't happen, I guess if that's what you want :cry:

Or that fans are so used to comics marketing minority character in such fashion that it just no longer a big deal. Or you know, it really is not a big deal as long as the book is good, what really is the problem what cultural background the character has.

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:35 pm

My point is that, no matter what, Ms. Marvel is a teen superhero comic, not a comic about religion.

It will have much more in common with Nova or Blue Beetle or Ultimate Spider-Man than it will with Persepolis. All 3 of those books feature kids who are non-white (Sam Alexander's mother is hispanic, but you wouldn't notice), and they are all very similar.

People think Ms. Marvel will reinvent the wheel, but basically, what you'll have is the family members who would be angry if they found out the main character is a hero be angry for a different reason.

I'm tired of, as Jude says it, fans wanting a pat on the back for liking a comic, especially when it's months from coming out. What if it's dog-shit terrible? What will Brett White and his ilk say then? Judge a comic by it's quality, not by how representative it is.

Herald

Regular-Sized Poster

Postby Herald » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:48 pm

Punchy wrote:My point is that, no matter what, Ms. Marvel is a teen superhero comic, not a comic about religion.

Your point is, if it does reflect the character's religion, you won't find that part interesting, no matter how it's handled.

Interesting...

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:16 pm

Herald wrote:
Your point is, if it does reflect the character's religion, you won't find that part interesting, no matter how it's handled.

Interesting...

I didn't say that. I'd still find it interesting, but I'd find the superheroing more interesting. I'm more interested in The Thing punching Doctor Doom, than I am in stories exploring his Judaism. The same goes for Daredevil and his Catholicism. That was seen by some as an integral part of his character, but Mark Waid's brilliant run has barely mentioned it.

Tintin Quarantino

Rain Partier

Postby Tintin Quarantino » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:24 pm

It's no big deal, it's just the focus of the press release Marvel sent to every news outlet.

So they clearly think it's a big deal and want a cookie for it.

sdsichero

2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Postby sdsichero » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:27 pm

Punchy wrote:
Way to put words in my mouth!

That's not all.

Herald

Regular-Sized Poster

Postby Herald » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:31 pm

Punchy wrote:
I didn't say that.

You DID say that.

In response to Jude's question of "So you don't think there are any cultural differences that would make a book focusing on muslim characters in any way different from one focusing on white characters?", you said, "Nothing that's going to be interesting for very long."

That's an unequivocal statement. And, as I said, typical tone-deaf Punchy.

john lewis hawk

Founder of The Outhouse

Postby john lewis hawk » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:20 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:
I want to write an article now: Congratulations, Minorities: White Dude Approves of New Ms Marvel Comic

I'll do it.

Rockman

Rain Partier

Postby Rockman » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:31 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:Being Muslim isn't a race, though. The writer's white and American.

I stand by what I said :smt013

john lewis hawk

Founder of The Outhouse

Postby john lewis hawk » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:29 pm

I stand by nothing i say.

The Old Doctor

Postby The Old Doctor » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:37 pm

This is one weird thread since Punchy entered it. Never thought I'd see that sort of exchange. Honestly, WTF?

Anyways...

Again, lets just wait and see how it goes. If it's crappy... dogpile it with fanboy hate. That is the MO right? :roll:

leave a comment with facebook