Advertisement

Thor: The Dark World (Spoliers)

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Hermit_Sage

Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 16 posts
Title: OH Elections Commissioner
Formerly: The Middle Sage, Phenomenal Sire

Thor: The Dark World (Spoliers)

Postby Hermit_Sage » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:36 am

So did anyone else see Thor 2 yet? I saw an 8 pm screening last night in IMAX 3D, and I have to say I loved it. I actually liked this movie more then Iron Man 3, which most will probably disagree with (but my favorite Phase 1 leading up to Avengers is still Captain America, and CA2 will likely unseat Thor 2 as my favorite once it comes out).

I put spoliers in the title, but i won't post any spoliers at least in the first post just incase of mouse overs, but this movie may be Marvel's funniest yet, and I liked the action and the character interactions. I feel the only weakness was the film was too short, you end up wanting more of the Warriors 3, you want more Sif, I want to see the Malekith vs. Odin that cut. But for me, wanting more of a movie isn't really a bad thing, and the movie is set up perfectly for a third. Everyone needs to go out and see this movie so they have a reason for the 3rd, we need to see what happens with that ending.

Advertisement

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 769 posts
Title: Absent
Formerly: cyclone, Chili con Blarney

Re: Thor: The Dark World (Spoliers)

Postby outsider » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:16 am

I saw it and loved it. It was fun, epic in scope yet didn't take itself too seriously. (The confusion Mjolnir had returning to Thor was funny. :lol: And the cameo by Chris Evans was flat-out hilarious. Everyone in the audience was cracking up at that.)

It was great seeing more everyday life on Asgard. I was worried that losing Branagh as director would mean losing part of that 'majesty of Asgard' treatment, but thankfully my worries were for naught.

Eccleston was a perfect movie villain. He always moved towards his goal, not taking illogical or emotional side trips. And holy cow did he look awesome and menacing. I also loved the design for Kurse.

Loved seeing Chuck/Flynn Rider as Fandral. As great as he was, I wish he could have been cast for Peter Quill/Starlord. Maybe the Parks & Rec guy will be good, though.

I so want Thor 3 to be The Saga of Beta Ray Bill. Sif deserves some lovin' and only Bill can give it!

Some spoilerific questions I have:
1. Did Loki kill Odin or is Odin in another type of Odinsleep?
2. Given that the Aether was confirmed as a 'quantum field generator' by Jane, are we to assume it is the Time gem/stone? According to this graphic, red = power, but maybe in the movies the blue Tesseract is the Power stone.

But now that I think about it, in Avengers we saw Loki use the Tesseract to control people's minds, so that fits with the 'Mind' aspect. Who knows?!! :? :lol:
-

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 93 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:21 am

I saw it, and liked it, but unlike most people I don't think it's better than the first Thor. Mainly because Malekith is a terrible, underdeveloped villain, and the humorous side of Thor is removed. The best thing about the first movie was the 'fish out of water' stuff, and that was gone, so Thor as a character was not as entertaining. He was still a bad-ass though, and the action was breathtaking, but just not as fun. The comic relief was pretty much moved to supporting characters, and whilst Kat Dennings is funny, it means the whole film feels less enjoyable.

Loki is the best thing in it, and I did like seeing a superhero movie in the UK too. Perhaps, I should watch it again.

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Postby outsider » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:43 am

Punchy wrote:the humorous side of Thor is removed
I say thee BULLSHIT. :lol:
That grin to the girl in the subway/underground was subtle yet hilarious.
And the scene with Odin referring to Jane as a goat was a similar example, right after she said "You told your Dad about me?". It's not what Hemsworth says, it's his mannerisms that provide the comedy.

Punchy wrote:Perhaps, I should watch it again.
I say thee YEAH.
-

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:07 am

outsider wrote:I say thee BULLSHIT. :lol:
And the scene with Odin referring to Jane as a goat was a similar example, right after she said "You told your Dad about me?". It's not what Hemsworth says, it's his mannerisms that provide the comedy.

I say thee YEAH.

There were a couple of moments, but not as many as the first film, or even the Avengers.

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Postby outsider » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:08 am

Punchy wrote:
There were a couple of moments, but not as many as the first film, or even the Avengers.
Thor & Loki are pretty much Abbott & Costello. Thor has to play the straight man for Loki to get the laughs.
-

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:10 am

outsider wrote:Thor & Loki are pretty much Abbott & Costello. Thor has to play the straight man for Loki to get the laughs.

That's true, the best non-action scene in the film was Loki walking down the corridor, transforming into different people, especially Captain America.

Also, what was the deal with Hogun in this film? Why was he only in like 2 scenes?

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Postby outsider » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:20 am

Punchy wrote:Also, what was the deal with Hogun in this film? Why was he only in like 2 scenes?
That was odd. I liked how we saw what world he was from (I've always wondered about that in the comics), but he was very underutilized.

Maybe Marvel could do a Netflix film of the Warriors Three?
-

Hermit_Sage

Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 16 posts
Title: OH Elections Commissioner
Formerly: The Middle Sage, Phenomenal Sire

Postby Hermit_Sage » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:23 am

outsider wrote:I say thee BULLSHIT. :lol:

I say thee YEAH.

I liked when they were making their escape on the Dark Elf ship, I thought that scene was plenty funy.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:35 am

outsider wrote:That was odd. I liked how we saw what world he was from (I've always wondered about that in the comics), but he was very underutilized.

Maybe Marvel could do a Netflix film of the Warriors Three?

That would be good, I did think that Chuck was a better Fandral than whoever it was before.

misac
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 172 posts

Postby misac » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:19 pm

My local theater isn't playing it. :-( :x

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 709 posts
Title: *NEW*
Formerly: beta-ray

Postby sdsichero » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:43 pm

Punchy wrote:Also, what was the deal with Hogun in this film? Why was he only in like 2 scenes?

Racism

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 266 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:36 pm

The moment we saw Hogun seeing the jet fighters in his realm I thought for sure he'd be coming out of one of the portals battling the Dark Elves. I enjoyed it. Malekith was a nice tache twirling villain and his fights (along with Kurse) against Thor were great.

Odin is probably in the tree or is weak due to all the events that happened in the movie. His talk with Thor after the attack there was that slight pause from him. Before you could see he mustered some strength to continue his dialogue with his son.

I just wish we had Loki in full costume with the horns and cape at the end. Also Hemsworth's straight performance led to the best laughs. The hanging the hammer scene on Jane's coat rack got the whole theater chuckling. Along with him threatening Loki in Sif's form. Before the Loki as Cap made it louder.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

KingPagla
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 45 posts

Postby KingPagla » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:26 pm

Liked this a lot, but not a great film
So many great pieces, but weak story, editing, and direction caused it to be lacking as a whole.

Compared to the first Thor movie, this was more fun, but not as good a movie.
Heck this was probably the most fun of all the Marvel flicks that's not The Avengers, but I'd put it around IM2 level in terms of its quality as a "film."

bkthomson
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 45 posts
Title: Invisible Man of the Outhouse

Postby bkthomson » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:14 pm

I have to say, the collector is going to be really weird, I mean I tried following his eyes and he was all over the place.
I used to have goals. They were evil goals, but they were goals. -- Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

Dragavon wrote:He's being diplomatic again. :lol:

Zechs wrote:I have to repress you more. You're way too goodie two shoes.

Fat Ollie Weeks wrote:I swear to God, you are so boring sometimes I think you're just a stealth-mod-bot that Jude has coded.

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The Asylum