Advertisement

Cataclysm: The Ultimates' Last Stand #1 (A big guy Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Cataclysm: The Ultimates' Last Stand #1 (A big guy Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:01 am

Around this time last year, I dropped all of the Ultimate books except for Ultimate Spider-Man. The imprint is in a bit of a bad way, and even though I don’t think it’s ending at all, it does need shaking up, and I think this is the event to do it. And if this is the end, then it’s coming from the same men who started it all off way back in the year 2000, Brian Michael Bendis and Mark Bagley, which is very fitting.

From this first issue, it doesn’t look like I’ve been missing much by not reading The Ultimates and Ultimate X-Men, as the X-Men don’t even appear, and The Ultimates don’t look too different at all (apart from Thor’s costume). The main focus here is on Miles Morales, and even then, he doesn’t do much, as the plot here is really very simple. Basically, Miles and Ganke are walking down the street, with Miles trying to explain to Ganke about the time he saw Galactus in the sky (from Age Of Ultron #10). Ganke is confused, but then, out of nowhere, Galactus shows up, and destroys New Jersey. Yep, just like that, New Jersey is gone.

Miles suits up, but he is of course way over-matched, and can’t even get close to Galactus. SHIELD are also unsuccessful, and even The Ultimates are unable to do anything. Iron Man tries to find out just who this big, purple dude is, and discovers that he’s not from this Universe, and that he wants to destroy the Earth. The end!

So, whilst not much happens in this issue, it does do a good job at bringing the huge threat of Galactus into the mix, and showing just how outmatched the Ultimate Universe heroes are. They aren’t as powerful as the Marvel Universe versions as it is, and their version of the man who defeated Galactus, Reed Richards, is dead and/or crazy. I think the best thing about this issue is that you have no idea where this story is going to go, Galactus has already destroyed New Jersey, what else can he do? Could I be wrong and will the Ultimate Universe actually come to an end? I have no idea.

Mark Bagley is one of those artists who is so distinctive and iconic that you know exactly what you’re getting, and he delivers that here, although I did think his work look better here than in recent Fantastic Fours. It was also great to see him draw Miles and Ganke, and for him to put his spin on the new Ultimate Spider-Man, as he’s the man behind the original.
This was a solid first issue, even though not much really happened (man, that sounds like I just hate New Jersey), we’ve seen what Galactus is capable of, time for the Ultimates to show what they are made of.

Advertisement

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 126 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Re: Cataclysm: The Ultimates' Last Stand #1 (A big guy Spoil

Postby habitual » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:43 pm

This series might be the redemption of Ultimate Reed Richards and just that.

The only really interesting thing about this is that Ultimate Reed Richards could be the only one left in the multiverse other than the 616 version.

Hab

Draco x
FROGMAN

Liked in: 201 posts

Re: Cataclysm: The Ultimates' Last Stand #1 (A big guy Spoil

Postby Draco x » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:40 am

habitual wrote:This series might be the redemption of Ultimate Reed Richards and just that.

The only really interesting thing about this is that Ultimate Reed Richards could be the only one left in the multiverse other than the 616 version.

Hab

Yeah this angle makes sense as the Ultimate imprint is pretty much on its last legs now.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand