Saturday, July 30, 2016 • Morning Edition • "Trash eaters."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

XBox One Requires Day One Software Update To Play

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

User avatar

LOLtron

Rain Partier

Postby LOLtron » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:34 pm

XBox One Requires Day One Software Update To Play

So what?



Source: EnGadget

Microsoft recently revealed in an interview that their new console would not be very useful at all until you connect to the internet and do a software update.  "You're gonna need to take this update. It's not gonna be really an optional thing," Microsoft senior director of product management Albert Penello, "Functionally, you will be able to do very little without taking the day one update."

I realize there are plenty people out there willing to hate on everything about the XBox for any reason they can find, and plenty more willing to love it no matter what.  This reporter doesn't quite understand the fanboyism of blind support of multi-billion dollar corporations that really don't give a crap about you.  It's not important to pick a side, just to tell it like it is.

Which is why I don't see what the big deal is about the XBox One needing a day one update.  Almost every computer needs updates on launch, the PS4 will need launch updates as well.  It might suck that it needs that update just to play games, but when fans ask for sweeping changes to the way a console was designed, they should be surprised when it doesn't happen by magic.  There are things I like and don't like about both the new consoles, but this... it's not a big deal.

Now the XBox One will be able to play games without a constant internet connection, I think most gamers will be able to handle hooking it up to the internet somewhere, at least once, to let it update.



Written or Contributed by Jeremy Shane


READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!
User avatar

bkthomson

Rain Partier

Postby bkthomson » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:17 pm

This was not news they said an update was needed on day one months ago.
User avatar

sdsichero

2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Postby sdsichero » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:25 pm

bkthomson wrote:This was not news they said an update was needed on day one months ago.

snap
User avatar

xaraan

Staff Writer

Postby xaraan » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:44 pm

bkthomson wrote:This was not news they said an update was needed on day one months ago.


I believe the news part that everyone is supposed to worry about is that the console is essentially a brick until you update it. It's not like a computer that may need an update to fix a few bugs, improve a few things, etc. But it won't play games at all until updated. Though this was more an opinion than news piece, if all the feels in it didn't give me away.
User avatar

MrBlack

WTF is this rank?

Postby MrBlack » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:33 pm

Although a day one update isn't shocking (more and more games are getting day one patches these days), the console being a brick until it's updated is unusual. I understand that they may have made a lot of changes to the UI since it was shipped, but I don't understand why it was shipped without the ability to play games.
User avatar

xaraan

Staff Writer

Postby xaraan » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:34 pm

MrBlack wrote:Although a day one update isn't shocking (more and more games are getting day one patches these days), the console being a brick until it's updated is unusual. I understand that they may have made a lot of changes to the UI since it was shipped, but I don't understand why it was shipped without the ability to play games.



I would say they are undoing the "can't play games without internet connection" deal that they initially created.
User avatar

Chris

Rain Partier

Postby Chris » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:58 pm

bkthomson wrote:This was not news they said an update was needed on day one months ago.


Not to do literally ANYTHING.

Day one updates are common. But this is literally a useless box without it. It's kind of crazy.

The PS4 has a day one update that enables bluray playback and stuff like that, but you can still play without it.
User avatar

dairydead

Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Postby dairydead » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:05 pm

The reason fanboys and girls exist is because people don't like being wrong. They've supported a single company with their money for however long,and if if their horse isn't winning, they don't like it. Its like colleges. I,for one,get really defensive of my university because I've spent so much time,energy,money ,and life in general at that place,I feel like I have a connection there,regardless of its shortcomings
User avatar

Rockman

Rain Partier

Postby Rockman » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:15 pm

people run around bashing EMU? I'm gonna shank em!!

I get what dairy's saying I'm a Nintendo mark, the company has supplied me with countless hours of entertainment. But at this point I have to admit they messed up with the Wii U a year out the gate and their biggest exclusive titles are basically the same Mario game they already gave us (but incredibly fun!) and a remake of a 10 year old game. That's pretty sad.
User avatar

bkthomson

Rain Partier

Postby bkthomson » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:25 pm

Rockman wrote:people run around bashing EMU? I'm gonna shank em!!

I get what dairy's saying I'm a Nintendo mark, the company has supplied me with countless hours of entertainment. But at this point I have to admit they messed up with the Wii U a year out the gate and their biggest exclusive titles are basically the same Mario game they already gave us (but incredibly fun!) and a remake of a 10 year old game. That's pretty sad.


Emu? Eastern Michigan university?
User avatar

sdsichero

2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Postby sdsichero » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:31 pm

Rockman wrote:I get what dairy's saying I'm a Nintendo mark, the company has supplied me with countless hours of entertainment. But at this point I have to admit they messed up with the Wii U a year out the gate and their biggest exclusive titles are basically the same Mario game they already gave us (but incredibly fun!) and a remake of a 10 year old game. That's pretty sad.


And Pikmin 3.

Not as big (popular) is Wonderful 101 which is pretty cool. Plus a couple of third party not available on other systems (eg. Monster Hunter 3G U, LEGO City Undercover).

In a couple weeks we'll be getting Super Mario World 3D World which looks fantastic.

I agree though, they did drop the ball on execution though. Still good stuff there or very soon.
User avatar

MrBlack

WTF is this rank?

Postby MrBlack » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:42 pm

sdsichero wrote:
And Pikmin 3.

Not as big (popular) is Wonderful 101 which is pretty cool. Plus a couple of third party not available on other systems (eg. Monster Hunter 3G U, LEGO City Undercover).

In a couple weeks we'll be getting Super Mario World 3D World which looks fantastic.

I agree though, they did drop the ball on execution though. Still good stuff there or very soon.

I'm not too keen on the Wii U outside of the Wind Waker remake, but if they came out with another Chibi-Robo game I would break into Best Buy and steal one right now.
User avatar

sdsichero

2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Postby sdsichero » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:09 pm

MrBlack wrote:I'm not too keen on the Wii U outside of the Wind Waker remake, but if they came out with another Chibi-Robo game I would break into Best Buy and steal one right now.


Not yet sadly. There is a 3DS downloadable game in Japan, but it isn't like the other Chibi Robos...

User avatar

Rockman

Rain Partier

Postby Rockman » Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:16 am

bkthomson wrote:
Emu? Eastern Michigan university?


Yes
User avatar

SuperginraiX

Outhouse Editor

Postby SuperginraiX » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:52 am

sdsichero wrote:
And Pikmin 3.

Not as big (popular) is Wonderful 101 which is pretty cool. Plus a couple of third party not available on other systems (eg. Monster Hunter 3G U, LEGO City Undercover).

In a couple weeks we'll be getting Super Mario World 3D World which looks fantastic.

I agree though, they did drop the ball on execution though. Still good stuff there or very soon.

Mario 3D World looks really, really fun.

Nintendo might have had a horrible release last year, but right NOW, they're the only company with next gen games I want to play.





Next year will be a different story.

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: FaceBook [Linkcheck], Flamebird, Google [Bot], HNutz, Liam Moorhart and 35 guests