Advertisement

XBox One Requires Day One Software Update To Play

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 281 posts

Postby LOLtron » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:34 pm

So what?

Source: EnGadget

Microsoft recently revealed in an interview that their new console would not be very useful at all until you connect to the internet and do a software update.  "You're gonna need to take this update. It's not gonna be really an optional thing," Microsoft senior director of product management Albert Penello, "Functionally, you will be able to do very little without taking the day one update."

I realize there are plenty people out there willing to hate on everything about the XBox for any reason they can find, and plenty more willing to love it no matter what.  This reporter doesn't quite understand the fanboyism of blind support of multi-billion dollar corporations that really don't give a crap about you.  It's not important to pick a side, just to tell it like it is.

Which is why I don't see what the big deal is about the XBox One needing a day one update.  Almost every computer needs updates on launch, the PS4 will need launch updates as well.  It might suck that it needs that update just to play games, but when fans ask for sweeping changes to the way a console was designed, they should be surprised when it doesn't happen by magic.  There are things I like and don't like about both the new consoles, but this... it's not a big deal.

Now the XBox One will be able to play games without a constant internet connection, I think most gamers will be able to handle hooking it up to the internet somewhere, at least once, to let it update.

Written or Contributed by Jeremy Shane

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

bkthomson
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 45 posts
Title: Invisible Man of the Outhouse

Re: XBox One Requires Day One Software Update To Play

Postby bkthomson » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:17 pm

This was not news they said an update was needed on day one months ago.
I used to have goals. They were evil goals, but they were goals. -- Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

Dragavon wrote:He's being diplomatic again. :lol:

Zechs wrote:I have to repress you more. You're way too goodie two shoes.

Fat Ollie Weeks wrote:I swear to God, you are so boring sometimes I think you're just a stealth-mod-bot that Jude has coded.

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 678 posts
Title: *NEW*
Formerly: beta-ray

Postby sdsichero » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:25 pm

bkthomson wrote:This was not news they said an update was needed on day one months ago.

snap

jeremy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 3 posts
Title: www.jeremyshane.info
Formerly: xaraan

Postby jeremy » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:44 pm

bkthomson wrote:This was not news they said an update was needed on day one months ago.

I believe the news part that everyone is supposed to worry about is that the console is essentially a brick until you update it. It's not like a computer that may need an update to fix a few bugs, improve a few things, etc. But it won't play games at all until updated. Though this was more an opinion than news piece, if all the feels in it didn't give me away.

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 119 posts

Postby MrBlack » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:33 pm

Although a day one update isn't shocking (more and more games are getting day one patches these days), the console being a brick until it's updated is unusual. I understand that they may have made a lot of changes to the UI since it was shipped, but I don't understand why it was shipped without the ability to play games.

jeremy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 3 posts
Title: www.jeremyshane.info
Formerly: xaraan

Postby jeremy » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:34 pm

MrBlack wrote:Although a day one update isn't shocking (more and more games are getting day one patches these days), the console being a brick until it's updated is unusual. I understand that they may have made a lot of changes to the UI since it was shipped, but I don't understand why it was shipped without the ability to play games.

I would say they are undoing the "can't play games without internet connection" deal that they initially created.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 49 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:58 pm

Not to do literally ANYTHING.

Day one updates are common. But this is literally a useless box without it. It's kind of crazy.

The PS4 has a day one update that enables bluray playback and stuff like that, but you can still play without it.

dairydead
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 173 posts

Postby dairydead » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:05 pm

The reason fanboys and girls exist is because people don't like being wrong. They've supported a single company with their money for however long,and if if their horse isn't winning, they don't like it. Its like colleges. I,for one,get really defensive of my university because I've spent so much time,energy,money ,and life in general at that place,I feel like I have a connection there,regardless of its shortcomings

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 485 posts
Formerly: AMS

Postby Rockman » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:15 pm

people run around bashing EMU? I'm gonna shank em!!

I get what dairy's saying I'm a Nintendo mark, the company has supplied me with countless hours of entertainment. But at this point I have to admit they messed up with the Wii U a year out the gate and their biggest exclusive titles are basically the same Mario game they already gave us (but incredibly fun!) and a remake of a 10 year old game. That's pretty sad.

bkthomson
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 45 posts
Title: Invisible Man of the Outhouse

Postby bkthomson » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:25 pm

Rockman wrote:people run around bashing EMU? I'm gonna shank em!!

I get what dairy's saying I'm a Nintendo mark, the company has supplied me with countless hours of entertainment. But at this point I have to admit they messed up with the Wii U a year out the gate and their biggest exclusive titles are basically the same Mario game they already gave us (but incredibly fun!) and a remake of a 10 year old game. That's pretty sad.

Emu? Eastern Michigan university?
I used to have goals. They were evil goals, but they were goals. -- Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

Dragavon wrote:He's being diplomatic again. :lol:

Zechs wrote:I have to repress you more. You're way too goodie two shoes.

Fat Ollie Weeks wrote:I swear to God, you are so boring sometimes I think you're just a stealth-mod-bot that Jude has coded.

sdsichero

Postby sdsichero » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:31 pm

Rockman wrote:I get what dairy's saying I'm a Nintendo mark, the company has supplied me with countless hours of entertainment. But at this point I have to admit they messed up with the Wii U a year out the gate and their biggest exclusive titles are basically the same Mario game they already gave us (but incredibly fun!) and a remake of a 10 year old game. That's pretty sad.

And Pikmin 3.

Not as big (popular) is Wonderful 101 which is pretty cool. Plus a couple of third party not available on other systems (eg. Monster Hunter 3G U, LEGO City Undercover).

In a couple weeks we'll be getting Super Mario World 3D World which looks fantastic.

I agree though, they did drop the ball on execution though. Still good stuff there or very soon.

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 119 posts

Postby MrBlack » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:42 pm

sdsichero wrote:
And Pikmin 3.

Not as big (popular) is Wonderful 101 which is pretty cool. Plus a couple of third party not available on other systems (eg. Monster Hunter 3G U, LEGO City Undercover).

In a couple weeks we'll be getting Super Mario World 3D World which looks fantastic.

I agree though, they did drop the ball on execution though. Still good stuff there or very soon.

I'm not too keen on the Wii U outside of the Wind Waker remake, but if they came out with another Chibi-Robo game I would break into Best Buy and steal one right now.

sdsichero

Postby sdsichero » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:09 pm

MrBlack wrote:I'm not too keen on the Wii U outside of the Wind Waker remake, but if they came out with another Chibi-Robo game I would break into Best Buy and steal one right now.

Not yet sadly. There is a 3DS downloadable game in Japan, but it isn't like the other Chibi Robos...

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 485 posts
Formerly: AMS

Postby Rockman » Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:16 am

bkthomson wrote:
Emu? Eastern Michigan university?

Yes

SuperginraiX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 103 posts
Title: unpronounceable
Formerly: Sane

Postby SuperginraiX » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:52 am

sdsichero wrote:
And Pikmin 3.

Mario 3D World looks really, really fun.

Nintendo might have had a horrible release last year, but right NOW, they're the only company with next gen games I want to play.

Next year will be a different story.

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The Asylum