Advertisement

Thor: The Dark World (Spoliers)

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

bkthomson
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Invisible Man of the Outhouse

Re: Thor: The Dark World (Spoliers)

Postby bkthomson » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:17 pm

Saw the film, and it was good, enjoyable and very subtle humor, and yes the Captain America part was wonderful.

I agree with what flaws KingPagla pointed out and think if we had 10 minutes more stretched around setting up and explaining the science for the resolution it may have been a little cleaner. I felt the end editing was rushed and needed just a little more depth.
I used to have goals. They were evil goals, but they were goals. -- Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

Dragavon wrote:He's being diplomatic again. :lol:

Zechs wrote:I have to repress you more. You're way too goodie two shoes.

Fat Ollie Weeks wrote:I swear to God, you are so boring sometimes I think you're just a stealth-mod-bot that Jude has coded.

Advertisement

KingPagla
Zombie Guard

Postby KingPagla » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:35 pm

outsider wrote:I saw it and loved it. It was fun, epic in scope yet didn't take itself too seriously. (The confusion Mjolnir had returning to Thor was funny. :lol: And the cameo by Chris Evans was flat-out hilarious. Everyone in the audience was cracking up at that.)

It was great seeing more everyday life on Asgard. I was worried that losing Branagh as director would mean losing part of that 'majesty of Asgard' treatment, but thankfully my worries were for naught.

Eccleston was a perfect movie villain. He always moved towards his goal, not taking illogical or emotional side trips. And holy cow did he look awesome and menacing. I also loved the design for Kurse.

Loved seeing Chuck/Flynn Rider as Fandral. As great as he was, I wish he could have been cast for Peter Quill/Starlord. Maybe the Parks & Rec guy will be good, though.

I so want Thor 3 to be The Saga of Beta Ray Bill. Sif deserves some lovin' and only Bill can give it!

Some spoilerific questions I have:
1. Did Loki kill Odin or is Odin in another type of Odinsleep?
2. Given that the Aether was confirmed as a 'quantum field generator' by Jane, are we to assume it is the Time gem/stone? According to this graphic, red = power, but maybe in the movies the blue Tesseract is the Power stone.

But now that I think about it, in Avengers we saw Loki use the Tesseract to control people's minds, so that fits with the 'Mind' aspect. Who knows?!! :? :lol:

Loved Mjolnir in this! Breakout performance of the movie!
Re: your questions
No idea about 1
for # 2: I thought Jane was referring to the Asgardian medical equipment with the quantum field generator line, not the Aether itself.
Anyway, I think the Tesseract is the Purple (Space) Gem since it was shown to be used to transport Thor and Loki (and the Red Skull?) between realms, while the Aether is the Red (Power) Gem.

Agent of the Bat
Outhouse World Champion

Liked in: 1 post
Title: I'm a Paul Heyman Guy.
Formerly: T-Rex

Postby Agent of the Bat » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:26 pm

Saw it today with the wife and a friend of ours, we all loved it. Thought it was better than the first Thor movie but not as good as Captain America or the Avengers which are the best of the Marvel movies. Really loved all the interaction between Thor and Loki, that stuff was great and I thought that when Loki got out of his cell was when the movie really picked up. Malekith and Kurse were awesome and fantastic looking in film. The final scene with Loki sitting on the throne was so badass! Definitely looking forward to a 3rd film in this franchise!

MistaT
penile prisoner

Title: ThreadKilla

Postby MistaT » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:47 pm

I loved it. I thought it was better than the first and better than Captain America, Iron Man 2 or 3. I think the first Iron Man still sits at the top of my favorite solo films.

As I posted on FB, Thor's trilogy will end up being better than all the others.

I would have liked to seen more interaction between Sif and Jane. I thought for sure when Sif broke her out she was going to at least get a jab/quip in there.

I think one of the things I was most impressed with in this movie was how Chris Hemsworth was able to hold his ground as lead of the film and not get outshown by Tom Hiddleston. There are many jokes about people going to see Loki rather than Thor (You could even include me in that group) but Hemsworth did a much better job in this movie of convincing me that he's Thor and put on a great performance. :smt023

Natalie Portman is still as beautiful as ever. :smt007

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 2 posts
Title: ライダー変身!
Formerly: beta-ray

Postby sdsichero » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:03 pm

KingPagla wrote:Anyway, I think the Tesseract is the Purple (Space) Gem since it was shown to be used to transport Thor and Loki (and the Red Skull?) between realms, while the Aether is the Red (Power) Gem.

Yes to your first guess.

Black_Orchid
The Virgin Connie Swail

Formerly: Pink Peril

Postby Black_Orchid » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:47 pm

Saw it, loved it! I laughed, I cried, then I laughed some more.

I for one didn't care for the Chuck guy as Fandral. Josh Dallas had a Cary Elwes thing going for him that worked.

For anyone that watched it in 2D, did the last couple minutes look weird to you? I noticed the fps changed for the last five minutes or so, same with the after credits scenes.

jeremy
Staff Writer

Title: www.jeremyshane.info
Formerly: xaraan

Postby jeremy » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:52 pm

Black_Orchid wrote:
For anyone that watched it in 2D, did the last couple minutes look weird to you? I noticed the fps changed for the last five minutes or so, same with the after credits scenes.

The scene where Thor was talking to "Odin" looked weird to me in 2D, almost just looked like bad greenscreen.

Black_Orchid
The Virgin Connie Swail

Formerly: Pink Peril

Postby Black_Orchid » Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:02 pm

jeremy wrote:

The scene where Thor was talking to "Odin" looked weird to me in 2D, almost just looked like bad greenscreen.

I just figured it out, motion blur. It's the same way my MIL's Samsung HDTV looks. It's odd that just the last few minutes of the movie were like that.

Last minute editing that was missed in post-production?

TheLurker
crash test dummy

Liked in: 2 posts
Title: Hefner

Postby TheLurker » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:50 pm

1. I missed the second bonus scene (bathroom really needed). What was it?
2. Can I have my shoe back?

Very good film. I may have to go see again in the theater.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 4 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:51 pm

I'm going to see it in a couple of hours.

Zechs
Staff Writer

Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:13 pm

TheLurker wrote:1. I missed the second bonus scene (bathroom really needed). What was it?
2. Can I have my shoe back?

Very good film. I may have to go see again in the theater.

Jane and the gang are having breakfast with Kat telling her that Thor ain't coming back. Thunder sound and Jane looks out window to see Thor. They make out like crazy in front of everyone.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

Glacier16
Garbage Collector

Title: kung-fu treachery

Postby Glacier16 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:15 pm

And Ice Giant dog chases birds

jeremy
Staff Writer

Title: www.jeremyshane.info
Formerly: xaraan

Postby jeremy » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:24 pm

I just realized I never really added my own thoughts. We took the boys to see it last night. Everyone liked it. I'd agree it was probably not the best solo movie, the first Iron Man still ranks pretty high for me. Something about it was a bit like Iron Man 3 for me, like there was something missing I just can't quite sum up well enough here. But it was still great. I'm most looking forward to Captain America 2 though.

Chessack
Garbage Collector

Title: Kara Zor-El's biggest fan

Postby Chessack » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:06 pm

Just saw it today.

It was OK. Not as good as the first one, but better than Iron Man 2 and 3, both of which I detested.

I think the main problem with the movie was Malekith. He just came off very flat, as the villain. I didn't find him scary or impressive. I didn't hate him. He didn't have one memorable line in the movie. Compared to Loki, who was an outstanding villain in both the first Thor and Avengers, Malekith was entirely lackluster. His "plan" was boring and uninspired.

I also thought the part where Selvig's home-made instruments were able to create space-warps was utterly preposterous. We've spent two whole entire movies (Cap and Avengers) with every super-powered being in the universe including Thanos, Loki, and Thor, along with Cap, the Red Skull, and SHIELD, is willing to wage war to possess the Tesseract, and Selvig creates something that is functionally equivalent in his basement while wearing his underwear? I mean come on....

Loki, I will say, was a joy to watch as usual. I love him... smart, duplicitous, cunning, and you're never sure where he really stands. And Darcy was fun.... she should have had a little more screen time. And Chris did a good job as Thor, as usual.

But on the whole, by my lights -- too many plot holes and a flat villain. It was OK... but it's not one I'm going to bother buying, because I probably won't ever want to watch it again.

Zechs
Staff Writer

Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:29 pm

Chessack wrote:Just saw it today.

It was OK. Not as good as the first one, but better than Iron Man 2 and 3, both of which I detested.

I think the main problem with the movie was Malekith. He just came off very flat, as the villain. I didn't find him scary or impressive. I didn't hate him. He didn't have one memorable line in the movie. Compared to Loki, who was an outstanding villain in both the first Thor and Avengers, Malekith was entirely lackluster. His "plan" was boring and uninspired.

I also thought the part where Selvig's home-made instruments were able to create space-warps was utterly preposterous. We've spent two whole entire movies (Cap and Avengers) with every super-powered being in the universe including Thanos, Loki, and Thor, along with Cap, the Red Skull, and SHIELD, is willing to wage war to possess the Tesseract, and Selvig creates something that is functionally equivalent in his basement while wearing his underwear? I mean come on....

Loki, I will say, was a joy to watch as usual. I love him... smart, duplicitous, cunning, and you're never sure where he really stands. And Darcy was fun.... she should have had a little more screen time. And Chris did a good job as Thor, as usual.

But on the whole, by my lights -- too many plot holes and a flat villain. It was OK... but it's not one I'm going to bother buying, because I probably won't ever want to watch it again.

Supposedly, there's a ton of Malekith scenes that got cut that ironed out his motivation for really hating the Asgardians.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum