Advertisement

Swamp Thing #25 (Go... or die Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 76 posts
Title: Shitlord

Swamp Thing #25 (Go... or die Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:10 pm

After last week’s excellent Annual, the battle between Swamp Thing and Seeder/Jason Woodrue over who gets to be the Avatar Of The Green takes place in this issue, and not only is it an epic confrontation, but it also ends in a shocking way.

It’s difficult to know how to write this review, because most of this issue was just a big fight, and it would be really boring for me and you to just give a blow-by-blow account of what happened. Basically, it was an awesome fight, Swamp Thing went to the Moon, and in the end, it all came down to whether or not Alec Holland was willing to sacrifice his humanity to win. In the annual, the original Swamp Thing told Alec that, if he didn’t want to do something he thought was against his nature, he could just say no, and that’s exactly what he does here. He has Seeder at his mercy, with his foot against his neck, and with the Green screaming at him to kill Seeder. Alec refuses, not willing to compromise, and as such… he loses the battle. The Green removes his power, and gives it to Seeder.

Yep, Swamp Thing lost, which is certainly not how I saw this going. Of course, Alec Holland isn’t truly gone, not yet, as he will live on inside The Green with all of the other former avatars, so obviously he’ll be back eventually, but this was a great, surprising ending to a very enjoyable issue.

I’m loving Charles Soule’s run and now that he’s done this, I’m even more excited for what’s next. What kind of Avatar will Woodrue be, and what catastrophic effects will that have on the world? This book is always moving forward in exciting new ways, and this is the best change yet.

Jesus Saiz’s artwork contributed a lot to how good this issue is, he was asked to draw a lot of strange, impossible stuff in this battle, and he pulls it off perfectly to deliver an epic, beautiful comic. Even though I’ve written a lot less than normal about Swamp Thing #25, I think it’s my favourite comic this week. Short and sweet!

Advertisement

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 373 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Re: Swamp Thing #25 (Go... or die Spoilers)

Postby Amoebas » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:10 pm

I was so worried when I heard Snyder was leaving the book.

I never guessed it would be better!

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 389 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:57 pm

Amoebas wrote:I was so worried when I heard Snyder was leaving the book.

I never guessed it would be better!

This is so true, Soule had turned this title into possibly DC's best outside of Vertigo.
Last edited by Stephen Day on Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thank you Troy for the sig

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 389 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:59 pm

I also have to say that i was surprised by the ending too. I had thought that this story was just ending, and now I find to my surprise, pleasant surprise too I must add, that it's only just started.

Thank you Troy for the sig

syxxpakk
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 111 posts
Title: The Wrasslin' Fan

Postby syxxpakk » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:18 pm

Charles Soule is brilliant.

When you're as good as Chael, you can only call out people worse than you.

@syxxpakk on the Twitter.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand