Advertisement

Cover of the Week 11/6/13

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

What Is Your Cover Of The Week?

Amazing X-Men #1
33%

e_galston, Glacier16, Mr. Log, nietoperz, Pizza Dog
The Occultist #2
17%

alaska1125, Amoebas, GiveWarAChance
Trillium #4
6%

Stephen Day
Mighty Avengers #3
11%

KingPagla, misac
Iron Man #18
22%

Arkanian, Kravis, pastajoe, Zechs
Superman Unchained #4
11%

GLX, IvCNuB4

Total votes : 18

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 192 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Cover of the Week 11/6/13

Postby nietoperz » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:22 am

Your nominations are:

Amazing X-Men #1 (Skottie Young variant)

The Occultist #2

Trillium #4

Mighty Avengers #3 (Wimbley variant)

Iron Man #18 (Hajime Sorayama variant)

Superman Unchained #4 (Silver Age variant)

Advertisement

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Re: Cover of the Week 11/6/13

Postby nietoperz » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:23 am

I'm starting to wonder if we don't need separate weekly polls for regular and variant covers. What do you guys think?

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 368 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:59 am

nietoperz wrote:I'm starting to wonder if we don't need separate weekly polls for regular and variant covers. What do you guys think?

As cool and as wonderful as some variants are - I never ever vote for them. I just feel that a comic cover is the one everyone has access too; and while they may technically adorn the exterior of a comic book, variants are more 'gimmick' than 'cover' imo.

Covers are there to sell comic books (plural). Variants are there to sell comic book (singular).

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:59 am

That and I'm so tired of Skottie Young wasting his incredible talent on babies. :smt011

Mr. Log
rubber spoon

Liked in: 140 posts
Title: HRUNK!
Formerly: Log-Man

Postby Mr. Log » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:32 am

It's an interesting idea. We should try it and see if there are enough nominations for each.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 98 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:10 pm

nietoperz wrote:I'm starting to wonder if we don't need separate weekly polls for regular and variant covers. What do you guys think?

I don't think it's a good idea. We barely get enough nominations (or votes) as it is, having two separate polls would simply discourage people from participating in this.

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 75 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:20 pm

Arion wrote:
I don't think it's a good idea. We barely get enough nominations (or votes) as it is, having two separate polls would simply discourage people from participating in this.

This.

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Postby nietoperz » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:40 pm

Well, I semi-agree. The problem is that all the Skottie Young / Lego / whatever variants are kind of crowding out original covers and I feel some people are getting a little frustrated at that.

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 323 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:24 pm

What about opening up a few more slots ? Seems to me that quite often it's like a race on Wrdnesday's to get your nom in :lol: More slots would allow room for variants and regular covers. And you could keep the "Second/Third" option in place.
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:28 pm

Arion wrote:

I almost always vote but I rarely nominate because I get my books in a box too late for me to pick from my order. But if nominating is the problem, I'll peruse the New Releases on-line on Wednesday's to find a cover to nom.

Or.. simply impose a no variant rule. Or since variants are sent on a ratio's (1 for every 50 regular covers ordered for example) - limit the number variants to the same thing here with only one variant a week. Or make two polls.

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Postby nietoperz » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:00 pm

Hmmm... I like the idea of limiting the number of variants.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 389 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:06 pm

nietoperz wrote:Well, I semi-agree. The problem is that all the Skottie Young / Lego / whatever variants are kind of crowding out original covers and I feel some people are getting a little frustrated at that.

I know it's one of the reasons why I haven't been participating a lot recently.

Thank you Troy for the sig

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 98 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:24 pm

nietoperz wrote:Well, I semi-agree. The problem is that all the Skottie Young / Lego / whatever variants are kind of crowding out original covers and I feel some people are getting a little frustrated at that.

I'm not a fan of variants, I think it's an example of how sales are so low in the comic book industry that you have to force the only customer you have to buy multiple copies of the same book.

But here we just vote for the covers, and all variants are covers too.

Amoebas wrote:I almost always vote but I rarely nominate because I get my books in a box too late for me to pick from my order. But if nominating is the problem, I'll peruse the New Releases on-line on Wednesday's to find a cover to nom.

Or.. simply impose a no variant rule. Or since variants are sent on a ratio's (1 for every 50 regular covers ordered for example) - limit the number variants to the same thing here with only one variant a week.

I like your idea. Variant covers are limited so we could put a limit on how many variant covers we can nominate in a week.

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 323 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:22 pm

Arion wrote:I'm not a fan of variants, I think it's an example of how sales are so low in the comic book industry that you have to force the only customer you have to buy multiple copies of the same book.

I find that statement puzzling. No one is being forced to buy variants. And as of October, sales are up across the industry.

Overall Dollar sales were up 6.36% over the same month one year ago. To put the growth the industry has seen in recent years in some perspective, October 2012 sales were up 19.50% over October 2011 sales, which were up 11.93% over October 2010 sales.

Year-to-date through October, overall industry Dollar sales are up 9.95% over 2012.
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:19 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:
I find that statement puzzling. No one is being forced to buy variants. And as of October, sales are up across the industry.

You are correct, no one is forced to buy variants - but if you want a variant you kind of are forced to order x amount of books in order to get it (which proves Arion is also correct).

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand