Advertisement

Green Lantern #25 (Guess which finger I'm holding up Spoiler

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Shitlord

Green Lantern #25 (Guess which finger I'm holding up Spoiler

Postby Punchy » Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:09 pm

With the events of ‘Lights Out’ still reverberating, it’s time for the new era of Green Lantern to begin, and it begins with Hal Jordan being kind an asshole. Plus ca change, huh? I may have warmed up to Hal in recent times, but it was good to see he still has that dickhead inside of him.

Now that the GL Corps is aware of the existence of ‘the emotional reservoir’ some of them believe they should stop using the rings. Hal tries to talk them out of it, but fails, and then he issues a new Primary Objective for the Corps, that they need to start policing the use of the emotional spectrum, and cracking down on ‘unauthorized ring bearers’, which Carol Ferris easily interprets as ‘any one who isn’t a Green Lantern’. Carol flies off to tell the Star Sapphires about Hal’s new plans, leaving him to stew. I think the biggest and best change to this book under Venditti has been that he knows when Hal Jordan is acting in the wrong, whereas with Johns, Hal was an infallible bad-ass. Here, when Hal says ‘women, why’s it have to always be about them’ and the other Lanterns laugh at him, you see that really well, that you’re meant to view Hal as a bit of an idiot. I don’t mind Hal being a jerk, as long as the writers are cognizant of it, and Venditti is.

After discussing his new plans with John and Kilowog, Hal and the big pink dude fly off to try and get a win for the Corps by bringing in Prixiam Nol-Anj, the Star Sapphire criminal who escaped from Oa. What follows is a very fun ‘Space Western’ type story, where Hal and Kilowog head into a space-saloon and pick a fight with some of Prixiam’s Clann in order to draw her out. She shows up, there’s an entertaining fight (especially the Kilowog stuff, it’s good to see his history and character be explored a bit more, and for him not just to stand around) but in the end, we see the true extent of her love for her Clann, as she sends out ‘Love Tethers’ to every member of it, and pulls them to her, surrounding our heroes with 100s of enemies.

I think this was a strong issue, Venditti is continuing to move the Green Lantern world forward in interesting ways, and he’s also not afraid to have Hal Jordan make stupid or questionable decisions. The action scenes were well done, and Billy Tan’s art continues to really suit this type of comic. I also think it’s cool how events from the arc before ‘Lights Out’ haven’t been forgotten, and that the crossover feels like part of a continuum, and not something separate that causes subplots to be dropped. Plus, Kilowog got in on the action!

Advertisement

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 350 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Re: Green Lantern #25 (Guess which finger I'm holding up Spo

Postby IvCNuB4 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:44 pm

That was a good ending and a cool use of the Violet power. 8)
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

syxxpakk
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 111 posts
Title: The Wrasslin' Fan

Postby syxxpakk » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:20 pm

Great book. You're spot on Punchy, when you say Venditti is perfect at not being afraid to make Jordan look dumb. Hal Jordan as leader IS questionable, because Jordan isn't leadership material. He's the quarterback, not the coach. And the fact that they have made this so seamless with Johns' run is just icing.

When you're as good as Chael, you can only call out people worse than you.

@syxxpakk on the Twitter.

Draco x
FROGMAN

Liked in: 326 posts

Postby Draco x » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:23 pm

And this is why you need someone like John Stewart to lead the Corps as he's more level-headed and less reckless than Hal is. As much as I like Hal, John makes better sense in the long run.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand