Advertisement

George R.R. Martin Hates Your Fan-Fic

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 318 posts

Postby LOLtron » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:42 pm

The author has no interest in licensing out his world of A Song of Ice and Fire. (That's Game of Thrones for you show noobs)

Source: Sydney Morning Herald

Pictured Above:
GRRM seconds before backhanding a reporter that asked him when The Winds of Winter is coming out.

George R.R. Martin seems to have to constantly confront questions, not only about when his next A Song of Ice and Fire novel will be out, but also deal with discussions about what might happen to the series if he doesn't complete them before... well, you know.  Recently he has said that he will not allow another writer to play in his sandbox when asked about licensed work.

Not while I'm alive, but eventually I will not be alive because Valar Morghulis – all men must men die.

He goes on to talk about his dislike for fan-fic and his belief that writers should spend their energy creating their own characters and world to write about.  He even want so far as to call fan fiction itself "lazy."  He did admit that Westeros may not die with him, (despite the many other stories out there I've seen saying differently).

I don't think my wife, if she survives me, will allow that either. But one thing that history has shown us is eventually these literary rights pass to grandchildren or collateral descendents, or people who didn't actually know the writer and don't care about his wishes. It's just a cash cow to them.

I could go on about the fact that I've seen too many stories talking about what will happen if Martin doesn't complete the series, saying he will not allow it to be finished by another.  But it's a ridiculous discussion for several reasons.  One, he didn't actually say that.  Two, you never know what might change over the coming years.  Three, he won't be in control of his estate once he's gone.  And four, HE WILL FINISH IT! 

Stop worrying, he's got this.

Just be aware, if you're bored while you're waiting for Winds of Winter, don't pass the time writing Game of Thrones fan-fic.  Let's not anger the man, he's running out of Starks to kill.

Written or Contributed by Jeremy Shane

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 231 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Re: George R.R. Martin Hates Your Fan-Fic

Postby habitual » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:45 pm

George R.R. Martin has no business commenting on ANYONE else's work ethic.

Hab

GHERU

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 416 posts

Postby GHERU » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:03 pm

George R.R. Martin is Robert Kirkman!
RUviews
Benderbrau wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse. Where civility means you're doing it wrong.

Chessack
cheese

Liked in: 442 posts
Title: Kara Zor-El's biggest fan

Postby Chessack » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:06 pm

It's interesting how some authors hate this stuff and others view it as a compliment.

COBRA Command
cheese

Liked in: 29 posts
Title: It's all about me.
Formerly: a used-car salesman

Postby COBRA Command » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:10 pm

After the last episode of the HBO series airs the majority of "GoT fans" really won't care if and when the books ever see release.

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 1086 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Postby The Old Doctor » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:13 pm

My response to him -

Explain Wildcards. Seriously, explain it within this context. Also, explain how you never once, not once, used other characters or concepts to form a story. Do it. Come on. Lets see if you can accomplish this.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

BubbaKanoosh wrote:Old Doctor is the NuDCU's Catscratch

Herald
Fagorstorm

Liked in: 395 posts
Title: Fun for the Whole Family!!

Postby Herald » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:52 pm

Chessack wrote:It's interesting how some authors hate this stuff and others view it as a compliment.

I'd consider the former control freaks. Fanfic has no bearing on the canon material, unless the canon material's creator makes it so.

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 881 posts
Title: Absent
Formerly: cyclone, Chili con Blarney

Postby outsider » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:09 pm

Unless he has a trained apprentice working directly off his notes, I don't think I want anyone else writing an entry in A Song of Ice and Fire.
-

Frag
REAL OFFICIAL President of the Outhouse

Liked in: 68 posts
Title: Mama don't like tattletales.
Formerly: Frag It, Rusty Kuntz

Postby Frag » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:18 pm

I don't see a problem with it. Fanfic is lazy. It's also his series and he doesn't want others to license his work right now.

Both those are fair points.

What he really needs to do is stop doing loser conventions with 5 people and interviews in Australia and finish his own fucking work because that is also lazy.
Jude Terror wrote:I'll vote for NPWFBH in the next election.

Outhouse Post #1,000,000:

Frag It wrote::smt117

Herald
Fagorstorm

Postby Herald » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:26 pm

ReturnoftheMack wrote:I don't see a problem with it. Fanfic is lazy.

And yet, you and others here read fanfic all the time; that's what current DC and Marvel comics are.

"You could say that any Batman fan writing a Batman comic is writing fan fiction."
—Neil Gaiman

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1231 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:47 pm

Herald wrote:And yet, you and others here read fanfic all the time; that's what current DC and Marvel comics are.

"You could say that any Batman fan writing a Batman comic is writing fan fiction."
—Neil Gaiman

Can't say that I am aware of very many fan fiction authors who actually get paid for their work though...kind of defeats the entire idea of "fan" fiction. I would say that the moment the actual owner of a particular intellectual property hires you to write for them and that work becomes canon, your work ceases to be fan fiction. :smt102
ImageImageImage

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 226 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:55 pm

I hate your fanfic too.
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead

Frag
REAL OFFICIAL President of the Outhouse

Liked in: 68 posts
Title: Mama don't like tattletales.
Formerly: Frag It, Rusty Kuntz

Postby Frag » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:02 pm

Herald wrote:
And yet, you and others here read fanfic all the time; that's what current DC and Marvel comics are.

—Neil Gaiman

Grayson is right, but let's say you are correct.

I didn't say fanfic is bad. Watchmen is probably the greatest comic written and it was completely fanfic by your definition.

Doesn't mean it's not lazy.
Jude Terror wrote:I'll vote for NPWFBH in the next election.

Outhouse Post #1,000,000:

Frag It wrote::smt117

Herald
Fagorstorm

Postby Herald » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:11 pm

Grayson wrote:
Can't say that I am aware of very many fan fiction authors who actually get paid for their work though...kind of defeats the entire idea of "fan" fiction. I would say that the moment the actual owner of a particular intellectual property hires you to write for them and that work becomes canon, your work ceases to be fan fiction. :smt102

"Fan fiction" is, as the phrase itself says, fiction created by fans. Doesn't really matter if you got paid for it or not.

If you are a "fan", and you wrote this "fiction", it's "fan fiction".

Mr. Log
rubber spoon

Liked in: 228 posts
Title: Bitch, I'm fabulous
Formerly: Log-Man

Postby Mr. Log » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:12 pm

habitual wrote:George R.R. Martin has no business commenting on ANYONE else's work ethic.

Hab

What's the story here?

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The Asylum