Rockman wrote:To me the term "fan fiction" carries on a different connotation that a professional who writes already established characters. If you really want to be obtuse there isn't a difference, but honestly the level of quality of most fan fiction, the blatant wish fulfillment, mary sueness all that stuff it's an insult really.
So, blatant wish fulfillment and Mary Sue-ness is an insult, you say?? Well, that's what's you've been getting from the DCU since Geoff Johns took over!
1. Geoff Johns LOVES Hal Jordan!! So, Hal Jordan suddenly gets cleared of ALL the wrong he's done! That time he went crazy and killed the rest of the GL Corps?? A Yellow Alien Fear Bug made him do it!!
And that time he was shacking up with Arisia, who may have been of a... questionably young age?? Well, it suddenly turns out that, where she comes from, she's "Really Seven Hundred Years Old
Let not one mote of imperfection or indiscretion continue to stain the history of Geoff's pal Hal! Retcon Jordan until he's clean of all such things!
2. And speaking of scrubbing a former GL of all past sins, Geoff Johns LOVES Sinestro!! So let's pardon him of ALL his previous attempts to kill people, and try to think of him as a GOOD guy! Never mind that the character was built from the ground up to be Obviously Evil
, what with his mustache made for twirling! Never mind that HIS VERY NAME
is based on the word "SINISTER"!
Why, Geoff can even end his run of Green Lantern by having Hal tell the one guy who's tried to kill him and his GL allies more often than practically anyone else
that he's Hal's "Best Friend!" Because hey, all those times Sinestro tried to murder people in cold blood doesn't make him a bad guy; he's "just misunderstood"! You don't know him like Geoff does! Geoff can change him with his love!
3. Geoff Johns LOVES Black Adam!! So let's have him inexplicably beat up all the heroes of the DCU, just because Geoff Johns LOVES Black Adam!! And let's allow him to get away with all that, let him get his powers back, and his own country to run!! Because hey, all those times Black Adam tried to murder people in cold blood doesn't make him a bad guy; he's "just misunderstood"! You don't know him like Geoff does! Geoff can change him with his love!
4. Geoff Johns LOVES Emoboy Prime!! So let's have him beat up all the heroes of the DCU, too, just because Geoff Johns LOVES Emoboy Prime!!
5. And Barry Allen?? HOO BOY, does Geoff Johns LOVE Barry Allen!! So it's time to kick that Wally West guy the Flash fans have loved for 2 decades to the curb, 'cause Barry's BACK!! Not only that, but everyone in the DC Universe MUST rush in to sing their highest hosannas to the newly anointed Saint Barry!!
Everyone, that is, except Bart Allen, Barry's own grandson, one of the people who WOULD worship Barry when written correctly
. But hey, SOMEbody's got to play the Straw Critic
who has to learn to love the Anointed One, and since everyone else is uncharacteristically lining up to kiss Saint Barry's ring, what's one more blatant piece of Character Derailment
, right?? Why, even the JSA, who have spent MUCH more time saving the world/universe than Mr. Allen, are inexplicably sitting around, extolling the virtues of Saint Barry!
Just so you know, this is all being done to manipulate you Wally fans into forgetting about Mr. West, and transferring all your Flash fandom to Barry Allen, so you can love him as much as Geoff Johns does!! Kewl, huh??
Seriously, though: Make sure you LOVE Saint Barry, DAMM*T!!
We ain't trumping him up like this for our health!!
And hey, didja wanna know why Saint Barry wears bowties?? Sure ya do! Got a whole story about that ridiculously inconsequential bit of minutiae
, 'cause hey, it's just another part of Barry Allen that Geoff Johns LOVES!!
This is exactly what I'm talking about when I said that you guys have been getting fan fiction from Dan and the Gang all this time. Geoff in particular has been serving you the same sort of fan fiction wish fulfillment and Mary Sue-ness that you claim is an insult; you've just failed to realize it.
It just goes to show: Even a Promoted Fanboy
like Geoff is STILL a Fanboy.
Fan fiction generally refers to work that is of terrible quality far below professional standards.
You say that, and yet I'm sure you don't consider Cry for Justice or the recent oeuvre of Scott Lobdell to be fan fiction.