Advertisement

My Take On Agents Of SHIELD

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

SuperginraiX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 117 posts
Title: unpronounceable
Formerly: Sane

Re: My Take On Agents Of SHIELD

Postby SuperginraiX » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:29 am

Draco x wrote:
And what has that have to do with me making my own spin on it? Do most of you just go into troll mode before reading some of these threads or what? And for your information I don't have a TV so that's the main reason why I haven't watched it.

http://www.hulu.com/marvels-agents-of-shield

Advertisement

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 597 posts
Formerly: AMS

Postby Rockman » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:30 am

Draco x wrote:

Do we really need the text to explain what a facepalm is?

bkthomson
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 46 posts
Title: Invisible Man of the Outhouse

Postby bkthomson » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:36 am

Ah, now you are just making it too easy for him.
I used to have goals. They were evil goals, but they were goals. -- Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

Dragavon wrote:He's being diplomatic again. :lol:

Zechs wrote:I have to repress you more. You're way too goodie two shoes.

Fat Ollie Weeks wrote:I swear to God, you are so boring sometimes I think you're just a stealth-mod-bot that Jude has coded.

Cosmic
Faster Pussycat

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Cosmic » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:08 am

My family loves the show, my little one's like watching it. My only complaint is that we just don't like the hacker-chick Skye. I can't put a finger on why, but we find her way too annoying.

I love the action sequences. they are very well done for a TV show. It's hard for the kids to stop comparing the show to the movies, since Agents-of-Shield keep bringing it up on the show, so the kids are a bit disappointed that the show doesn't go full-movie-FX mode and their hasn't been any Avengers cameos other than Nick Fury.

We also love the fact that their base is a giant plane, and that they go around the world. I know it's their big set piece, but I want them out of the plane and out of the US more often.

I love the potential of the show, it reminds us of a more family-friendly version of Torchwood.

HNutz
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 994 posts

Postby HNutz » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:09 am

Lord Simian wrote:
3) SHIELD is not the Avengers. Please (and this isn't directed solely at you, Draco) stop demanding Big Name Supervillains that a) the show wont be able to do in a non-shitty CGI way, and b) SHIELD couldn't really handle anyway. "Serpent Society? Fuck that, we can't deal with that. Get Rogers on the phone. Has anyone taught him to use a phone yet?"
J
4) Pretty sure this one wasn't an idea of it's own, it was just an excuse to try to make suggestion 2 work when you realized no network show can support a cast of 45 agents.

3) Check out Arrow. It's probably the best comic based show out there. Look who they're using: Deadshot, Amanda Waller, Count Vertigo, Bronze Tiger, etc... they're doing lower level baddies that require minimal (if any) CGI and they're NAILING it.

Check out the last two episodes of AoS (maybe even forget about the rest). They're not using CGI heavy characters. And it's working for them. We're also getting Victoria Hand and Jasper Sitwell. And earlier there was some mysterious organization behind at least 2 episodes with superpowers.

4) Yeah, it's kinda like asking "Who would you want to see in the next Avengers movie?" and then listing everyone who's ever been an Avenger.

The occasional name-dropping (like they did with Barton & Romanoff last episode) is cool but wanting every episode to have 2 or 3 superhero guest stars may be a little much.
Last edited by HNutz on Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 1141 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:10 am

Cosmic wrote:My family loves the show, my little one's like watching it. My only complaint is that we just don't like the hacker-chick Skye. I can't put a finger on why, but we find her way too annoying.

I love the action sequences. they are very well done for a TV show. It's hard for the kids to stop comparing the show to the movies, since Agents-of-Shield keep bringing it up on the show, so the kids are a bit disappointed that the show doesn't go full-movie-FX mode and their hasn't been any Avengers cameos other than Nick Fury.

We also love the fact that their base is a giant plane, and that they go around the world. I know it's their big set piece, but I want them out of the plane and out of the US more often.

I love the potential of the show, it reminds us of a more family-friendly version of Torchwood.

Skye is annoying because she is an exploitive Uncle Tom version of a hacktivist.

HNutz
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 994 posts

Postby HNutz » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:16 am

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:
Skye is annoying because she is an exploitive Uncle Tom version of a hacktivist.

And how she could have simply asked Coulson to look into her family... which is what happened anyways.

SuperginraiX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 117 posts
Title: unpronounceable
Formerly: Sane

Postby SuperginraiX » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:26 am

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:

Skye is annoying for a lot of reasons.

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 1179 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Postby The Old Doctor » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:27 am

You guys will love Skye once she's revealed to be Jessica "Spider-Woman" Drew and starts venom blasting Hydra and AIM agents... and wears the tights... flies around... clings to walls...
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

BubbaKanoosh wrote:Old Doctor is the NuDCU's Catscratch

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 1179 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Postby The Old Doctor » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:28 am

Zero wrote:1. There should be more nudity, but only the chicks.
2. There should be less talking
3. More punching\kicking\light bondage
3. Introduce more X-Mens characters like Artie and Maggots.
4. A very special episode : "Fisting".

:lol:
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

BubbaKanoosh wrote:Old Doctor is the NuDCU's Catscratch

Strict31
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 168 posts
Title: Ain't enough space bitches

Postby Strict31 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:37 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:
Strict, didn't you famously refuse to watch the Star Trek remake while still discussing it? Maybe I'm thinking of someone else.

You would be famously incorrect. I always planned to watch the movie. What I discussed were the elements of the movie that people accepted which didn't make sense.

For example, a cadet being given command of the flagship without any training, simply because he punched his way to the job. Or the fact that Chekov should have been ten years old when Kirk got command of the Enterprise. Which is something that the hand-waved explanation of "it's an alternate reality" didn't explain.

Or the fact that none of these characters were ever the same age, and never met each other when they were right out of the Academy.

We've discussed this ad infinitum, and no one has ever come up with a counter-argument that didn't start and end with "yes, but who cares about the details, because it's fun!" But we can go back there if you wish, and I can remind you of all the things I was right about.

Of course, I really did like Into Darkness a hell of a lot, and found myself wishing that one had been the first movie. Abrams' Trek is so much better if you pretend the first movie never happened, because then, there is nothing to get in between me and my enjoyment of Zoe Saldanna's ass.

"You must be proud, bold, pleasant, resolute,
And now and then stab, as occasion serves."

Edward II: Act 2 Scene 1, by Christopher Marlowe

Strict31
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Strict31 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:43 pm

I do not understand why people hate Skye so much. Is it because she's like Buffy, but without the karate?

Because she totally is. I think Buffy would have been really annoying if she wasn't punching the shit out of vampires. In fact, in every episode, right about the time she would have started to get annoying, that was the part when she busted out with some karate.

Skye lacks the power of karate, so she just talks and talks and talks, and people are all, "FUCK YOUR GODDAMN MOUTH, SKYE! Punch a vampire, already!"

But there are no vampires in the show to punch...

I guess I can see why people hate Skye.

superfictious
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Liked in: 180 posts
Title: superfictious.wordpress.com

Postby superfictious » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:06 pm

The show isn't bad at all. It's absolutely above-average, even though the characters are cliches. But the entire concept confuses the hell out of me. You're going to put together a team to deal with a changing world full of super-people, by filling that team with not only non-super-people, but mostly non-field agents? The version of SHIELD on the show is completely unlike the version advertised in the movie, although the last ep was a step in the right direction.

Strict31
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Strict31 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:33 pm

superfictious wrote:The show isn't bad at all. It's absolutely above-average, even though the characters are cliches. But the entire concept confuses the hell out of me. You're going to put together a team to deal with a changing world full of super-people, by filling that team with not only non-super-people, but mostly non-field agents? The version of SHIELD on the show is completely unlike the version advertised in the movie, although the last ep was a step in the right direction.

But the version of SHIELD in the movies seemed to be comprised of a handful of relatively competent people (two of whom just said fuck it, and put on costumes) and a bunch of retards who would have been better served focusing on Galaga.

Our navigation system is down and the computer isn't telling me which way North is! Waaah!

We've got an unauthorized launch and somebody loaded nukes onto not one, but TWO entire planes, and there's nothing we can do about it! Waaaah!

Somebody is kicking our ass with nothing more than arrows! Waaah!

It's basically the sciencey, non-field agents who are SHIELD's only true ace-in-the-hole in this whole "higher form of war" business. There's no amount of punching or shooting a field agent can do to match the Hulk. But with science, you can synthesize a gamma-based pot substitute that will make the Hulk, like, totally chill and whatever, man. Or stuff.

AoS seems to take into account the idea that a team of combat-rated agents isn't going to get the job done anyways. Thinking outside the box. It's still not much against a radioactive communist or a madman that shits localized gravity fields. But science is pretty much the only useful weapon they have.

Lord Simian
The Lord of the Monkeys

Liked in: 358 posts

Postby Lord Simian » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:42 pm

Cat-Scratch wrote:You guys will love Skye once she's revealed to be Jessica "Spider-Woman" Drew and starts venom blasting Hydra and AIM agents... and wears the tights... flies around... clings to walls...

That's never going to happen. Ever.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum