Thursday, July 28, 2016 • Evening Edition • "At least we're not ComicsAlliance!"

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Tess Fowler: 'Brian Wood is a DICK'

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

User avatar

Rockman

Rain Partier

Postby Rockman » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:58 am

I worked in education, I've seen and heard of careers that were destroyed because of vindictive little craps who lied about a teacher which totally destroyed their career and reputation. Even when the students admitted that they had lied the damage was done. Frag is right that the accusations thrown out about this guy are not representative of a drunk dude at a bar.
User avatar

alaska1125

dINGO

Postby alaska1125 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:10 pm

ReturnoftheMack wrote:
It's been 2 days!!!

And also, I would win that bet because we also know that 10 people dropped his books.

How much money will you send me?

Hmmm...what, $29.99? But that's retail. I'll send whatever percentage of the profits he gets. #themarvelbuisinessmodel
:lol:
User avatar

alaska1125

dINGO

Postby alaska1125 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:11 pm

Rockman wrote:I worked in education, I've seen and heard of careers that were destroyed because of vindictive little craps who lied about a teacher which totally destroyed their career and reputation. Even when the students admitted that they had lied the damage was done. Frag is right that the accusations thrown out about this guy are not representative of a drunk dude at a bar.

There's also a hotel room and a following day in the convention center to consider...
User avatar

meinterrupted

Snake On A Plane

Postby meinterrupted » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:52 pm

HNutz wrote:
And that's fine. That's your prerogative. But, when ReturnoftheMack says this:



and you say this:



But then say this:



Well, your statements don't quite mesh.

You say you don't think that "exposing someone on Twitter will lead to probably boycotts and make him toxic for a while" but then you mention how "several of us have dropped his books from our pull lists and sent (very reasoned) emails to Marvel regarding the situation".

Also, you want to avoid his work "mostly because he's obviously a hypocrite."

OOoooookay...? :smt102


So, ten other groups, all the same size as mine--that is, 100 people--all choose to drop X-Men.

X-Men #6 sold ~71,990 copies (x).

Now, maybe my math is bad--I'm just a dumb girl, after all, everyone knows numbers are hard for us--but it seems to me that 71,890 copies of a comic is still enough to keep it in the top 20 comics monthly. Hardly enough for Marvel to look twice.

As for emails to Marvel, I figure probably less than a quarter of the people who drop it will tell Marvel why. So that's 25 emails; and I'm quite sure that those emails will be balanced out by the people like ReturnoftheMack, who will be urging Marvel not to ruin some guy's life, just because he got drunk and hit on some chick who overreacted. I mean, that could happen to any of us, right?
User avatar

Frag

REAL OFFICIAL President of the Outhouse

Postby Frag » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:24 pm

meinterrupted wrote:
So, ten other groups, all the same size as mine--that is, 100 people--all choose to drop X-Men.

X-Men #6 sold ~71,990 copies (x).

Now, maybe my math is bad--I'm just a dumb girl, after all, everyone knows numbers are hard for us--but it seems to me that 71,890 copies of a comic is still enough to keep it in the top 20 comics monthly. Hardly enough for Marvel to look twice.

As for emails to Marvel, I figure probably less than a quarter of the people who drop it will tell Marvel why. So that's 25 emails; and I'm quite sure that those emails will be balanced out by the people like ReturnoftheMack, who will be urging Marvel not to ruin some guy's life, just because he got drunk and hit on some chick who overreacted. I mean, that could happen to any of us, right?


You aren't "just a dumb girl." You are a dumb person. Your gender doesn't make a difference.

You make easily disprovable arguments. You are purposely obtuse ("10 x 10 =100"). You sent letters to Marvel without getting all the facts of what happened. You take cheap shots at people. You misrepresent what people say.

It has nothing to do with being "just a dumb girl."

And personally, I don't like Brian Wood's work. And I'm not going to support his work without all the facts like you did. Let's all burn him at the stake first and ask questions later.
User avatar

Frag

REAL OFFICIAL President of the Outhouse

Postby Frag » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:31 pm

He began DMZ as a “destitute single guy”, he said, and “ended it married, with kids and a house”, something he may not have been able to accomplish otherwise.


DMZ started in 2005 when this alleged incident happened. I'd like to know more of his timeline.
User avatar

HNutz

Rain Partier

Postby HNutz » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:37 pm

meinterrupted wrote:
So, ten other groups, all the same size as mine--that is, 100 people--all choose to drop X-Men.

X-Men #6 sold ~71,990 copies (x).

Now, maybe my math is bad--I'm just a dumb girl, after all, everyone knows numbers are hard for us--but it seems to me that 71,890 copies of a comic is still enough to keep it in the top 20 comics monthly. Hardly enough for Marvel to look twice.

As for emails to Marvel, I figure probably less than a quarter of the people who drop it will tell Marvel why. So that's 25 emails; and I'm quite sure that those emails will be balanced out by the people like ReturnoftheMack, who will be urging Marvel not to ruin some guy's life, just because he got drunk and hit on some chick who overreacted. I mean, that could happen to any of us, right?


Maybe it'll be 10 groups of 10. Or 30 groups of 30. Or any other possible combination you can think of.

There's no evidence, one way or the other, that "10 other groups, all the size of mine". I doubt that's the limit of the boycott/bad press/loss of business. You don't know the affect this will have. I don't know either. But I do know that's pure guesswork on the "25 e-mails".

"I figure probably"... "I'm quite sure those e-mails will be balanced out"... yeah, those aren't the cold, hard facts you'd like them to be.

Oh, and bonus points for trying to work in sexist implications ("Now, maybe my math is bad--I'm just a dumb girl, after all, everyone knows numbers are hard for us", along with your "mansplain" comment before) when people disagree with you.

Doesn't using sexist terms like that in a discussion about someone's sexist behaviors come off a wee bit hypocritical?
User avatar

McKegan

Zombie Guard

Postby McKegan » Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:50 pm

It's a sad comment on comics if a drop in sales of 100 comics leads to a guy's "standing in comics" being ruined.
User avatar

S.F. Jude Terror

OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:58 pm

McKegan wrote:It's a sad comment on comics if a drop in sales of 100 comics leads to a guy's "standing in comics" being ruined.


Judging by the reactions here, 200 more should buy his comics to support his right to "be a dude in a bar."
User avatar

McKegan

Zombie Guard

Postby McKegan » Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:01 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:
Judging by the reactions here, 200 more should buy his comics to support his right to "be a dude in a bar."


Yes, no one has ever justifiably had anything bad to say about a dude in a bar.
User avatar

alaska1125

dINGO

Postby alaska1125 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:20 pm

ReturnoftheMack wrote:
You aren't "just a dumb girl." You are a dumb person. Your gender doesn't make a difference

Ah. Now I remember you. Still a condescending ass. Good to know you keep it consistent.
Edit: Your arguments supporting drunken bad behavior toward women make a lot more sense now. #snark
User avatar

S.F. Jude Terror

OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:25 pm

McKegan wrote:
Yes, no one has ever justifiably had anything bad to say about a dude in a bar.


It's just bros being bros, dude.
User avatar

Frag

REAL OFFICIAL President of the Outhouse

Postby Frag » Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:55 pm

McKegan wrote:It's a sad comment on comics if a drop in sales of 100 comics leads to a guy's "standing in comics" being ruined.


It would be if that wasn't a random number pulled out of someone's ass.
User avatar

alaska1125

dINGO

Postby alaska1125 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:03 pm

ReturnoftheMack wrote:
It would be if that wasn't a random number pulled out of someone's ass.

Ok, genius. Since you seem to have all the answers, what kind of number do you think it'll hit? I certainly hope that you deal with students in a much less dickish manner than you do with people who disagree with you on this site.
User avatar

McKegan

Zombie Guard

Postby McKegan » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:04 pm

ReturnoftheMack wrote:
So if 10 other groups do the same thing, this will severely damage Wood's standing in the industry.


I believe that random ass was yours. So, in the range of 100 to 400 depending on how many Wood books they were picking up.

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 58 guests