Advertisement

Justice League Of America #9 Preview

This is the forum for previews. They'll also show up in The News Stand and The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 168 posts

Postby LOLtron » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:02 pm

A FOREVER EVIL tie-in: 'Dark Art'

Source: Comics Continuum previews

The DC solicit says:

Martian Manhunter literally claws his way out of the fire, with one other member of the JLA at his side. But what are their chances of survival on a world being run by the deadliest Super-Villians?

Written by:  Matt Kindt
Art by:  Tom Derenick (pencils);  Tom Nguyen, Allen Martinez (inks)
Cover by:  Doug Mahnke
Variant Cover by:  Ethan Van Sciver
32 pages
$3.99  (US)
On Sale:  November 13, 2013

Written or Contributed by IvCNuB4

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

Draco x
FROGMAN

Liked in: 209 posts

Re: Justice League Of America #9 Preview

Postby Draco x » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:38 pm

I do like the art alot here.

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 239 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:18 pm

This prison thing gets weirder and weirder. We know it's the Firestorm Matrix but J'onn is still trying to figure it out. He does catch up to his mysterious stalker who is.. him. Or actually his his other half, explaining why he feels so weak. We get a flashback of Courtney's first night as Stargirl and present time as she navigates the prison searching for J'onn. Last issue she escaped the prison. This issue she's back in then busts out again with J'onn, except when they get out he's only in her head, and then she's cornered by the Secret Society.Huh. I'm wondering if she's actually getting out at all.
-
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:30 am

Given that in Forever Evil #3 we discovered that the prison the Justice Leagues were trapped in was actually Firestorm, it’s a bit odd to read this issue and have the characters within it none the wiser, but this was still an enjoyable issue, that, whilst a bit repetitive of the last one, did a good job at exploring the characters of Stargirl and Martian Manhunter and making me care a bit more about them.

The issue begins with Martian Manhunter still making his way through the Prison, he starts off with Green Lantern, moves on to Madame Xanadu, then to Aquaman and then finally… himself. I liked seeing some more of the personal prisons each Justice Leaguer was trapped in, Madame Xanadu has been forced to turn to dark magic and become evil to fight evil, and in Aquaman’s, the surface world has killed all the fish and drained the ocean, which pisses him off. Martian Manhunter’s prison is a bit different, as it turns out that the mysterious figure he’s seen following him is him, is his guilt over failing to save the people of Mars, and his fear of not being able to save his new Earth-friends. J’Onn’s prison was to see all his friend’s prisons, to see them suffer, and not be able to help them, which is pretty clever of the CSA and Deathstorm, and a cool way of containing perhaps the most powerful Justice League member.

So, whilst Martian Manhunter is fighting himself, Stargirl is making her way through the prisons to try and rescue him. Throughout her trip through the scenes we say last time, Matt Kindt sprinkles some flashbacks to her origin story, which seems pretty much unchanged from before. She was an ordinary teenage girl who didn’t like her step-dad much, until she discovers he’s got a box with superhero stuff in it, including a costume and the Cosmic Staff from Starman, which she uses to become a superhero. Kindt keeps things pretty vague, we don’t see Stripesy or any of the various Starmen or Star-Spangled Kids, so continuity isn’t mangled too much, but it was effective. These flashbacks are mainly there to allow her to save J’Onn and explain why she isn’t in a prison that uses her fears and dark thoughts against her. It’s because she doesn’t have any fears or darkness, she’s just too optimistic for the CSA to trap her, and it’s that which allows her and Martian Manhunter to escape. I’m not sure how I feel about this plot-point, it’s cheesy for sure, but this is superhero comics, there’s ample room for cheese, and with a character like Stargirl, pure unbridled optimism makes sense and works. People’s big complaint about the New 52 is that everyone is a jerk, well here’s a character who most definitely isn’t.

Stargirl and J’Onn escape, but run right into the path of Deathstroke and a bunch of other villains, Copperhead, Giganta. Shadoe Thief etc. To make matters worse, J’Onn isn’t physically there, he’s only in Stargirl’s head. How the heck is she supposed to fight all these heavy-hitters alone? It’s going to be fun to find out.

This was a solid issue, and that extends to the art, where Tom Derenick fills in for Doug Mahnke. Derenick is a solid superhero artist who always delivers big, bold action, and that’s fine. His art doesn’t have the darker edge that Mahnke’s does, which added a real sense of unease to this setting last time, but since the focus is on the bright and cheerful Stargirl, that’s fine.

The Beast
cheese

Liked in: 86 posts
Title: Chronic MasterDebator

Postby The Beast » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:20 am

IvCNuB4 wrote:This prison thing gets weirder and weirder. We know it's the Firestorm Matrix but J'onn is still trying to figure it out. He does catch up to his mysterious stalker who is.. him. Or actually his his other half, explaining why he feels so weak. We get a flashback of Courtney's first night as Stargirl and present time as she navigates the prison searching for J'onn. Last issue she escaped the prison. This issue she's back in then busts out again with J'onn, except when they get out he's only in her head, and then she's cornered by the Secret Society.Huh. I'm wondering if she's actually getting out at all.

I'll have to read it again but I got the same impression, these two are just digging themselves deeper, like psychic quicksand. The harder they try to escape the deeper they fall in.

All in all it was a pretty good tie in to a great event.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to Previews