Advertisement

George R.R. Martin Hates Your Fan-Fic

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 410 posts
Formerly: AMS

Re: George R.R. Martin Hates Your Fan-Fic

Postby Rockman » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:34 am

Punchy wrote:
If the person paying them was George RR Martin then yes.

Fan-fic is not a label of quality, it is fiction written by fans in an unofficial capacity.

I'm not getting into semantics, I just know the definition.

Nobody who is paid by Marvel or DC to write a comic is writing fan-fic.

Talking about the definition of the word is semantics.

My point is that people don't use the term that way regardless of what the actual definition is. Don't be obtuse when someone says "Dan Slott's work is nothing more than fan fiction" because technically they're wrong. They aren't really saying that Dan Slott works in his mothers basement and writes these stories without being asked by Marvel to do them, or that he isn't getting paid. Rather they are making a comment on the quality of the work. The fun part about language is sometimes words and terms take on new meanings depending on how people actually use them. Why fight that?

Advertisement

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 663 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:05 am

Rockman wrote:

My point is that people don't use the term that way regardless of what the actual definition is. Don't be obtuse when someone says "Dan Slott's work is nothing more than fan fiction" because technically they're wrong. They aren't really saying that Dan Slott works in his mothers basement and writes these stories without being asked by Marvel to do them, or that he isn't getting paid. Rather they are making a comment on the quality of the work. The fun part about language is sometimes words and terms take on new meanings depending on how people actually use them. Why fight that?

Words and terms are the same thing in the context of your sentence, so it is unnecessary to name them both.

/nitpick'd

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 65 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:35 am

Rockman wrote:

Because it's dumb? If you don't like Geoff Johns, just say it's shit, don't call it something it's not.

Fan-Fic isn't about quality, and trying to make it so is stupid.

guitargod694
Post Whore

Liked in: 73 posts
Title: Total Spaceship Guy

Postby guitargod694 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:48 am

Punchy wrote:
Because it's dumb? If you don't like Geoff Johns, just say it's shit, don't call it something it's not.

True. You can say "Dan Slott's writing is so shitty it's like bad fan-fic".
But if you want to say "Dan Slott's work is nothing but fan-fic" you don't get to be upset when people correct you.
Because it isn't "nothing but fan-fic".

If you mean "I don't like it" just say "I don't like it". :D
-Bill-

Chesscub
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 6 posts
Title: Bear du jour

Postby Chesscub » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:32 pm

Rockman wrote:
you're getting into semantics that's the problem.

Fan-fiction is best served as a term to describe quality not the "legitimacy" of the work.

I haven't read anything from Geoff Johns since I think infinite crisis, whichever one had the superbro prime wall punch thing. It was not good. He put his sense of nostalgia before telling a coherent and compelling story he put being a fan of these characters before creating something new and exciting. Imo the work I've read of his at DC is fanfiction regardless if he's getting paid for it or not.

Also Herald I have no idea why you keep telling me about what Dan Didio and the gang are selling me. I haven't bought a DC book in years. I regretfully tried the JMS titles when he first switched over, that was a bad choice. Aside from that I've never purchased a large amount of DC comics.

In Geoff's defense, he didn't create the Superboy reality warp punch.

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 713 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Postby The Old Doctor » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:29 pm

fan-fic and cosplayers... lots of hate there.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

Herald
biny little tird

Liked in: 288 posts
Title: Fun for the Whole Family!!

Postby Herald » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:15 pm

Rockman wrote:[Also Herald I have no idea why you keep telling me about what Dan Didio and the gang are selling me. I haven't bought a DC book in years. I regretfully tried the JMS titles when he first switched over, that was a bad choice. Aside from that I've never purchased a large amount of DC comics.

Glad to know that you aren't being fooled by Dan and the Gang's crap. :-D

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 410 posts
Formerly: AMS

Postby Rockman » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:52 pm

Punchy wrote:

you're dumb!

Herald
biny little tird

Liked in: 288 posts
Title: Fun for the Whole Family!!

Postby Herald » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:14 pm

Rockman wrote:

These guys won't understand the concept of connotations, so don't bother explaining it to them. :wink:

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 96 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:58 pm

Chesscub wrote:
In Geoff's defense, he didn't create the Superboy reality warp punch.

He didn't?
But he was writing the damn thing!

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 515 posts
Title: Absent
Formerly: Daddy Longlegs, Max Power

Postby outsider » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:25 am

Arion wrote:
He didn't?
But he was writing the damn thing!
I'm pretty sure that Marv Wolfman came up with the wall-punching idea. But Johns had to have approved that lame idea or at least have had some type of oversight in the creative process.
Infinite Crisis was just a clusterfuck no matter how you cut it.
-

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 96 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:28 pm

outsider wrote:I'm pretty sure that Marv Wolfman came up with the wall-punching idea. But Johns had to have approved that lame idea or at least have had some type of oversight in the creative process.
Infinite Crisis was just a clusterfuck no matter how you cut it.

Yeah, after Infinite Crisis I decided to stay the hell away from DC. And 7 years later I'm happy to have no DC books on my pull list.

Chessack
cheese

Liked in: 333 posts
Title: Kara Zor-El's biggest fan

Postby Chessack » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:32 pm

Arion wrote:Yeah, after Infinite Crisis I decided to stay the hell away from DC. And 7 years later I'm happy to have no DC books on my pull list.

I decided to get away from comics, period, but mostly due to DC, in 1999.

Sometimes I'm sorry that after 13 years, I started reading them again. It's been mostly fun, but DC has really managed to annoy me in the last year. And I've gone from starting out with about 10 DC titles a month down to 5.

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The Asylum