Advertisement

Pretty Deadly #2 (Not the first, won't be the last Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 89 posts
Title: Shitlord

Pretty Deadly #2 (Not the first, won't be the last Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:10 am

After being more than a little confused and actually kind of disappointed by the first issue of this title, with #2 I think Pretty Deadly is starting to live up the hype, as things become clearer, the main character actually appears and DeConnick and Rios deliver a frankly amazing fight sequence. There are still moments of confusion and pretension (like the Night Maid and the Day Maid) that don’t really make sense, but given the tone of this title, I am willing to be patient to see how these confusing things eventually coalesce and make sense.

The issue opens with another strange Bones Bunny and Butterfly scene, but quickly moves to Johnny, the guy who got injured last issue, being tended to by a prostitute. He reveals that he let Sissy, the vulture cloak girl take the binder he had in his pocket, but he doesn’t know why. It seems like this binder has some kind of magical power, as it allows Big Alice to track Sissy and Fox and the rest. We then get a pretty damn steamy sex scene between Johnny and the prostitute, which, yowza, it was hot, even as the prostitute sticks her finger in Johnny’s wound. And hey, since it was written, drawn and coloured by women, you don’t feel like as much of a perv for reading it! Hooray!

After this, the action begins in earnest, with Big Alice and her gang heading to Sarah’s house, where they believe Sissy and the binder to be. Only they aren’t there, they’ve ran off. Big Alice starts burning down the house and attacking Sarah and her kids. Luckily, just when Sarah is about to be killed right in front of Cyrus… Ginny arrives to kick some ass. She carves a bloody swathe through the cowboys, using both a sword and a gun. Man, she is a bad-ass, and what’s even more bad-ass is the one-on-one fight between her and Big Alice, who seems to be an emissary of Ginny’s dad, Death. This is an awesome fight, and Emma Rios’ artwork is mindblowingly good, the way she uses very small panels over the top of larger ones is genius, and it makes the fight seem both epic and close and personal at the same time. In the end, Ginny wins, and she kills Alice, telling her that she doesn’t want to go home. For some reason, Alice turns into butterflies, which is a cool image, again, brilliantly drawn by Rios.

The issue ends with Sissy confiding in Fox about a dream she had about Ginny, which may be the key to her past. This certainly is a strange and atmospheric world that DeConnick and Rios have created, and even though I still have a lot of questions, this issue satisfied me a lot more than the first.

This issue showed that this team can bring it when it comes to exciting action sequences, and this probably sounds weird, but they can also do damn good sex scenes. The first issue was all atmosphere and mood with no real substance, but this issue definitely had substance, and I’m excited to see this title get better and better. If nothing else, this is some of the best art in comics right now.

Advertisement

The Bass

Liked in: 61 posts

Re: Pretty Deadly #2 (Not the first, won't be the last Spoil

Postby The Bass » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:43 pm

So, did any scumbags rip up copies in stores, or can people actually buy this?

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 89 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:24 pm

The Bass wrote:So, did any scumbags rip up copies in stores, or can people actually buy this?

Wait, you like this book? But it's being published by Fat Bob!

The Bass

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby The Bass » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:38 pm

Its written by a creator that successful splits between paid Marvel work, and her own endevours, and thus, I checked it out. (I also met Kelly Sue, and she was really nice, and as such, I give anything for hers a shot).

Also, there's no Skybound labelling on the book, so I can safely guess Kirkman isn't taking a financial cut off the profit.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 959 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:47 pm

:lol:
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 409 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:27 pm

Seeing as how he's COO you should guess that every Image Comic created, published, sold and bought adds to his profit margins.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 409 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:41 pm

Yeah, this will definitely be my last issue of this series. Another overly complicated comic with no explanation of events or plot but, hey lets add another half dozen characters and some of them from It's Always Sunny. Punchy finding that sex scene sexy makes so much sense because it wasn't sexy, it wasn't erotic it was gross and totally bumbling. Since these are the only two issues of Kelly Sue's I've ever read she must fuck better than she writes because she's got to get these jobs some how. Now that is how you make not liking a comic misogynistic.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand