Advertisement

New Avengers #12 (INFINITY Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 58 posts
Title: Shitlord

New Avengers #12 (INFINITY Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:52 pm

The aftermath of Infinity begins now, as the various members of the Illuminati pick up the pieces and move on, in another excellent issue of this title.

The best scene of the issue for me comes at the beginning, as Black Panther is confronted by his sister Shuri about what’s been going on in The Necropolis and some of that truth actually comes to light, as the fact that Namor has been visiting T’Challa whilst their two countries have been at war is revealed. The ongoing conflict between Namor and Black Panther as well as their respective kingdoms has been my favourite part of this series, and the fact that Hickman used this big event to move it on even more is really cool. When Shuri discovers this collusion, and T’Challa does not explain himself, he is banished from Wakanda, which is of course a big deal for the former king. The capper to this is Namor coming in and applauding T’Challa for not revealing the truth of the Incursions and all that. Hickman writes one of the best Sub-Mariner’s ever, he such a glorious tool, I can’t wait to see just how much further he can push the Panther before they come to blows again.

Elsewhere, Black Bolt and Maximus The Mad are still in hiding after blowing up Attillan, Inhumanising the whole world and faking their own deaths. It is revealed that Black Bolt’s powers have been severely diminished by his fight with Thanos. I’m excited to see where they are going with Black Bolt, it looks like in Matt Fraction’s stories, most of the other Inhumans will believe he’s dead, but he should still be an interesting player in this title, even with less power.

Doctor Strange’s scene in this issue was very intriguing indeed, it looks like being mind-controlled by the Ebony Maw has pushed Strange to try something new, he’s tired of sitting on the sidelines when he has so much power and he’s going to be more proactive. He locks himself in his room (in a non stroppy teenager sense) and delves into the ‘Blood Bible’. I’m looking forward to where this goes, Strange is obviously one of Marvel’s best characters, but as he says here, he’s often off in the margins, it’s going to fun to see him take a more central role in this book, and is it too much to ask for a Hickman-penned ongoing or mini-series? That would be amazing.

Finally, Beast, Iron Man and Mr Fantastic are finishing up their check-up of the various weapons and secrets that may have been damaged in Thanos’ attack, last on their list is Black Swan, who although I still dislike her character as the living embodiment of everything bad about Hickman’s writing, does set things up very nicely for the future. She points out that they didn’t actually defeat Thanos, that it was Thane who stopped him, and they also didn’t stop the most recent incursion themselves, that was the Builders. The Illuminati keep getting through these scrapes by the skin of their teeth, but sooner or later, their luck will run out and they will have to make the choice to blow up another world properly and on purpose. Black Swan also tells them that there are things worse than The Builders out there. There are the Mapmakers, who we’ve seen before, and giant cosmic dudes called The Black Priests, or The Ivory Kngs, and other intimidating names. Basically, defeating Thanos and The Builders wasn’t the ending of what Hickman has planned… it’s only the beginning, which… yeah, that’s big, I’m pumped.

Infinity has, as I’ve said before, moved the Avengers titles into a cosmic zone, and this issue shows that it’s not stopping, things are going to get even better. It’s good to see that, even though the crossover may be over, that huge cosmic scale is still there, and, that combined with interesting character directions for Namor, Black Panther and Black Bolt (Iron Man, Beast and Reed aren’t changing as much, but they have other titles for that), this book really is getting bigger and better.

Mike Deodato’s artwork was once again excellent, the little glimpses of the future cosmic threats were great, as were the weird demons Doctor Strange summoned. He nails the quieter moments too, especially with Black Panther.

Advertisement

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 850 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Re: New Avengers #12 (INFINITY Spoilers)

Postby Grayson » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:15 pm

Another good issue of the current New Avengers series and a great epilogue to Infinity. Unfortunately, this will be my last issue because I don't think I can stomach Simone Bianchi's art on a monthly basis. :-(
ImageImageImage

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 58 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:55 pm

Grayson wrote:Another good issue of the current New Avengers series and a great epilogue to Infinity. Unfortunately, this will be my last issue because I don't think I can stomach Simone Bianchi's art on a monthly basis. :-(

Come on, Bianchi ain't that bad.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 850 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:12 pm

Punchy wrote:Come on, Bianchi ain't that bad.

:lol:

It's pretty terrible. Plus, going from Deodato to Bianchi is a truly jarring shock to the system.
ImageImageImage

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 149 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Postby habitual » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:41 am

We should really be discussing this:

It's definitely the most illuminating in terms of what's to come.

New players: The Black Priests, The Sinnu Sarrum, The Ivory Kings.

Those we already knew about: The Mapmakers (Masters), Sidera Maris.

It's of note that the Builders are specifically mentioned as are the limits of the Superflow, being present in only 5,000 realities. Starbrand might get featured prominently.

Hab
Last edited by habitual on Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 116 posts

Postby doombug » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:02 am

I really don't like the "new players" idea that Hickman introduced.

It just feels forced.

Like "you may have stopped these guys but look at this, yet more crazy ideas! Look guys, I can be Alan Moore Moore/Neil Gaiman and Grant Morrison too! Pay attention to me"

Just how it feels to me. :smt102

(And I say this as someone who loved Avengers and Infinity at the end there, those were awesome)

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 113 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:56 am

habitual wrote:We should really be discussing this:

It's definitely the most illuminating in terms of what's to come.

New players: The Black Priests, The Sinnu Sarrum, The Ivory Kings.

Those we already knew about: The Mapmakers (Masters), Sidera Maris.

It's of note that the Builders are specifically mentioned as are the limits of the Superflow, being present in only 5,000 realities. Starbrand might get featured prominently.

Hab

Hopefully this means Hickman is gonna be around for a while.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 327 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:30 pm

doombug wrote:I really don't like the "new players" idea that Hickman introduced.

It just feels forced.

Like "you may have stopped these guys but look at this, yet more crazy ideas! Look guys, I can be Alan Moore Moore/Neil Gaiman and Grant Morrison too! Pay attention to me"

I agree.

These Avengers just came out of their toughest battle ever and soon they'll take on someones who make the Builders and Thanos look like Aunt May and Uncle Ben. Where does it end?

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:33 pm

Amoebas wrote:I agree.

These Avengers just came out of their toughest battle ever and soon they'll take on someones who make the Builders and Thanos look like Aunt May and Uncle Ben. Where does it end?

When Hickman gets ready to leave Avengers, obviously.

Hickman's story isn't obviously about The Builders. It's about the potential destruction of the Earth and the Multiverse, and how the Avengers deal with it.

- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 116 posts

Postby doombug » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:01 pm

I mean there's a huge difference between making your heroes have to fight something powerful and just going "look something even more powerful is out there because....reasons!"

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 149 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Postby habitual » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:52 pm

At the same time though this Avengers team is so stacked with members Hickman is pretty much forced to up the ante as far as antagonists are concerned.

I mean we just saw Thor, the Hulk, and Hyperion hop off of a quinjet. Add Starbrand and I can't think of a current Marvel villain (except maybe Korvac and the Beyonder) that's going to present a believable challenge to the current team.

Hab

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 294 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:37 am

Avengers still aren't done recruiting yet. With Starbrand on the team, they have waaaaaaaay too many heavy hitters. The Illuminati on the other hand have had some interesting changes. I did think it was weird the way Strange kept playing bitch in NA but this issue really drove home some sense of him getting his shit together.

And keep in mind T'Challa and Namor BOTH lost their kingdoms, more or less.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 41 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:57 am

Keb wrote:Avengers still aren't done recruiting yet. With Starbrand on the team, they have waaaaaaaay too many heavy hitters.

Which they need given that they are playing on a cosmic scale.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:27 am

habitual wrote:
At the same time though this Avengers team is so stacked with members Hickman is pretty much forced to up the ante as far as antagonists are concerned.

I mean we just saw Thor, the Hulk, and Hyperion hop off of a quinjet. Add Starbrand and I can't think of a current Marvel villain (except maybe Korvac and the Beyonder) that's going to present a believable challenge to the current team.

Hab

Well it's getting obvious that this is leading up to a confrontation with The Illuminatiat some point, which is probably "The Fall" Hickman mentioned in Avengers #1.

I think going forward, we'll be seeing if Earth really wants to be an "Avengers World" and what certain forces are willing to do to avoid being one.

- Sons of the Desert

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 369 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:49 pm

doombug wrote:I really don't like the "new players" idea that Hickman introduced.

It just feels forced.

(And I say this as someone who loved Avengers and Infinity at the end there, those were awesome)

I myself don't think it felt forced. The Black Swan has been strongly hinting all throughout this story that there were some really heavy hitters out there involved in the incursions. To me it just seemed like a continuation of those hints and the natural evolution of this story.

Thank you Troy for the sig

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand