Advertisement

D.D. Mau To The Rescue! The Victories #7

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 320 posts

Postby LOLtron » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:30 am

A sweet walk down memory lane.

Michael Avon Oeming’s creator-owned superhero tale continues with The Victories #7, with part 2 of 5 of Posthuman, with colors by Nick Filardi. The cover is an action shot of fat D.D. trying to make it to Colorado by Oeming and Filardi. I really wanted the teaser to be, “Give up now and I won’t break your dicks off,” but I’ll just mention it here.

D.D. Mau has escaped her dreamscape thanks to the help of Sleeper’s avatar. Her rescue attempt of the Victories, Zodiac and the Ravenettes in Colorado, is going well until Metatron shows up. The whole rescue is narrated by Faustus through caption boxes as he recalls D.D.’s heroics and a valiant sacrifice by one of The Victories. Simultaneously in California, the favored elite are readying their plan of attack and mind control.

Once again, Oeming is writer and artist for The Victories; this allows him to know the characters intimately more than anyone else could. This issue is significantly less dialogue heavy as compared to last issue, the majority of the story appearing in caption boxes, leaving it with just a few sentences per page. What few words Oeming uses are just enough to craft a sincere and heartfelt relationship between two characters. His honest, realistic dialogue is sweet, with lines like, “She looked at me like no one else would.”

For a story light on dialogue to succeed, it needs a strong artistic foundation. Oeming can draw maps and I’d be happy, as he does for a page here. He’s gentler on the shadows this issue, with Nick Filardi’s colors running the gamut, with major focus on brighter colors.

The backup-written by Michael Avon Oeming, drawn by Taki Soma, with colors by Nick Filardi-digs into Lady Dragon’s backstory. It’s a great companion piece to the main storyline as it shows Lady Dragon’s family’s connection to the shadowy California elite group. Taki Soma’s art is great too, as it showcases other locations not seen in the Victories universe such as the Sphinx, Stonehenge and Mayan pyramids. 

A favorite touch of mine is when, through Faustus, Oeming gets scientific and channels Carl Sagan, using the phrase, “Returned to star stuff.” This alluring imagery, accompanied by his beautiful art with characters that you get attached to after a mere 12 issues, including a mini series, combines to make one of the best series on the stands.

Written or Contributed by Tim Midura

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand