Advertisement

The Wolverine: Unleashed Extended Cut

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 364 posts

Postby LOLtron » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:00 am

He went after the original version without mercy, now Zechs sets his sights on the Unleashed Extended Cut of “the Wolverine”. Is it truly a "cut" above the theatrical version?

*For those who haven't seen the movie yet, a fair warning: I will talk of spoilers. You've been warned.

Ah, The Wolverine, the superhero movie that totally surprised me and no doubt others. In a summer that had Iron Man and Superman, you stood above them both. Of course you had flaws, four in particularr: the climax (Silver Monger as I like to call the movie's version of the Silver Samurai) being so darn predictable about whose in the suit, yet the reveal being dragged out for so long, “Japanese Hawkeye” (Will Yun Lee wasted on a meaningless role), the dumping of a good villain in Shingen, and, of course, Viper. Oh yes, the worst villain of a superhero movie EVER (on film, though the people behind Man of Steel come in close second. My, how I long for the days of Joel Schumacher. Okay, no I don't, but can Hollywood stop making the same darn mistakes?!). Yet, even with those problems I enjoyed it.

So when I heard that Best Buy would pull a “G.I. Joe Retaliation”: in releasing a version that adds an additional twelve minutes. I wondered if it too would benefit greatly from the additional footage? Well, first off, the new cut makes the movie much more violent. You see Wolverine hack and stab his foes down. You see his foes hack and stab at Wolverine though he does NOT go down. The film is much harder than the original PG-13 and borders on an R, and that's kind of awesome to have an R-Rated big superhero movie.

Of the greatest issues I had with the original cut is now wiped away. Will Yun Lee's character, Harada, gets flushed out more and you get the whole character arc with him breaking free of his “Japanese Hawkeye” limits that bound him in the theatrical version. You now understand his duty of protection to the true heirs of the Clan Yashida, as well of his evolving realization of the madness that has poisoned his clan. The arc is much more satisfying for his character and the climax now. So in that regard, the Unleashed Extended Cut gets a notch over it's theatrical version.

Another, smaller part is a scene involving Shingen and Yashida where the former visits his dying father, expecting to be given what's his and instead rewarded with nothing. The small scene balances and alludes to later ones, but it also reveals the chief plot point for the first two acts (Mariko being made heir, not Shingen) in addition to letting it out again near the end of the second act (with Mariko revealing to Logan as to why the Yakuza are gunning for her). Yashida also gets a few more scenes of his younger self with Logan in the hole, which again explains his later actions a bit more. Logan and Mariko get a few moments of more depth, with the former beginning to realize what a “normal” life with Mariko could be like and opening up more to her.

In short, that's what the extended cut adds. Little bits of extended character shots, getting their reaction to things around them. These little moments help characters such as Harada, Shingen, and even Yashida, explaining their motivations. So, for that, I'll give the extended cut credit for the added dimensions for all of its antagonists. Yes, it even adds a bit more Viper into the mix.

Yes, we do get more of her character as well (she gets an extra scene showcasing her genius in genetics and warning a cocky Harada that Wolverine will be too much for him unless he uses the poison she's supplied him), but I have issues with the character since she's nothing at all like her comic counterpart and really has no motivation at all to move the plot along. Even with these extra little moments, I still loathe the character of Viper. She reminds me too much of a second-rate Poison Ivy, who has all these powers only because the plot demands it. She really has no motive for why she's doing what she's doing or her utter fascination with Logan's genetic type.

Speaking of said scene with Harada/Viper, it is the introduction to the biggest scene added to the film: Wolverine vs. LOTS of ninjas. It's a fun, extremely violent romp, compared to the brief sequence we got in the original cut. No, it isn't just Logan slicing and stabbing ninjas that makes the part so overtly gory. Nope, it's the addition of a Yukio-piloted snow plow as she aims it at any ninja who dares cross her path that does it. The violence was so over-the-top I felt I was back watching a version of Brain Dead (1992), with ninjas now. I get why it was cut, but it's still a helleva fun scene that answers a small plot hole (what happened to all the darn ninjas in the theatrical version), and, again, it's cool just to see Wolverine fully unleashed.

The Wolverine: Unleashed Extended Cut does exactly what's needed. It fixes most of the flaws with the minor and major villains of the piece while also adding some more humanity to Wolverine himself. Overall, it makes the movie much better, heightening the already good parts. The odd thing that's discouraging is the fact that this is the second genre film (again G.I. Joe: Retaliation being the first) in less than a year that has a better cut than the actual theatrical version. This is the version of the movie I'll watch more as it gives the more rewarding experience. Yes the movie has flaws in an annoying side villain, but the main crux, which is nicely layered piece of Logan finding a direction in life again, is just so well done. I just never figured with all the superhero films this year that a Fox movie that's a sequel to X-Men Origins: Wolverine (2009) would beat out all the rest. Even more, this version of the film honestly makes it my favorite X-Men movie as well.

4.5 out of 5

Written or Contributed by Zechs

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

GOSD
Everybody lies!

Liked in: 359 posts
Title: Lick me!
Formerly: Ghost of Scooterdoom

Re: The Wolverine: Unleashed Extended Cut

Postby GOSD » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:49 am

Fuck!

Now, I have to return the theatrical version!

:smt013

Bond Hengbu
cheese

Liked in: 87 posts

Postby Bond Hengbu » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:34 am

So glad i had not watched the movie yet.

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 346 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:01 pm

GOSD wrote:Fuck!

Now, I have to return the theatrical version!

:smt013

It's well worth it. I was actually surprised at how it made the film better. Also Logan swears like a sailor too in the edition too.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 357 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:18 pm

you really think viper is worse than the villains from the elektra movie?

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Postby Zechs » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:38 pm

fieldy snuts wrote:you really think viper is worse than the villains from the elektra movie?

Yes. I rank them slightly higher than her.

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 468 posts

Postby Draco x » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:54 am

Zechs wrote:Yes. I rank them slightly higher than her.

I was wondering how much better it would have been if they had used Gorgon instead of Viper. However, I do hope they use him in another Wolverine film down the road.

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 468 posts

Postby Draco x » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:00 am

Zechs wrote:Yes. I rank them slightly higher than her.

Well to be fair, Zechs, there have been worst comicbook film villains than this sucky version of Viper:

Mr. Freeze( Batman & Robin)
Two Face( Batman Forever)
Riddler( " ")
The Mandarin( Iron Man 3)
Bane( Batman & Robin)
Dark Phoenix( X3: The Last Stand)
Venom( Spiderman 3)
Talia( Dark Knight Rises)
Brian Banner( Hulk)
Parallax( Green Lantern)

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Postby Zechs » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:13 am

Draco x wrote:
Well to be fair, Zechs, there have been worst comicbook film villains than this sucky version of Viper:

Riddler( " ")
Bane( Batman & Robin)
Venom( Spiderman 3)
Brian Banner( Hulk)
Parallax( Green Lantern)

Corny in an 80s action way.
Guilty Pleasure
Guilty Pleasure
Guilty Pleasure
Made stupid to not curtail lead villains.
Meh
Not bad.
Nick Nolte playing Nick Nolte. What's so bad about that again?
About one of two things that I liked about the actual movie. The other being Mark Strong.

sdsichero wrote:

Zechs...is...

GOSD
Everybody lies!

Postby GOSD » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:49 am

Draco x wrote:

Riddler( " ")
Bane( Batman & Robin)
Venom( Spiderman 3)
Brian Banner( Hulk)
Parallax( Green Lantern)

So true.

Viper was so pointless in this movie.

GOSD
Everybody lies!

Postby GOSD » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:50 am

Zechs wrote:
It's well worth it. I was actually surprised at how it made the film better. Also Logan swears like a sailor too in the edition too.

Cool. 8)

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Postby Zechs » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:53 pm

GOSD wrote:
So true.

Viper was so pointless in this movie.

I still don't understand how the nano machine worked. Did she actually have that thing in her mouth when she went mouth to mouth with Logan? Then if so why the poison? Why must I be over-thinking of this shit? Why couldn't it have been just the poison since we know it slows him down?

sdsichero wrote:

Zechs...is...

Anti-Life Mike
SUSHI FISH

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Destroyer of Worlds
Formerly: Nobody

Postby Anti-Life Mike » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:27 pm

Zechs wrote:

Corny in an 80s action way.
Guilty Pleasure
Guilty Pleasure
Guilty Pleasure
Made stupid to not curtail lead villains.
Meh
Not bad.
Nick Nolte playing Nick Nolte. What's so bad about that again?
About one of two things that I liked about the actual movie. The other being Mark Strong.

How you can call Marvel destroying the credibility of the Mandarin after they did justice to Obadiah Stane and Whiplash in the previous movies is completely beyond me. And you liked Parallax in the GL movie too?! What looked like a tidal wave of excrement with a face in the middle?? :roll:

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 161 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:29 pm

I did not see this in theaters. So the extended cut is the only version I've seen.

Definitely belongs with X2 and First Class as one of the best X-Men movies.

Unfortunately.... there's Viper.

Still, this is 80% really good movie, 15% decent movie, and 5% shitty movie (mostly anytime Viper is on screen)

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Postby Zechs » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:32 pm

Anti-Life Mike wrote:How you can call Marvel destroying the credibility of the Mandarin after they did justice to Obadiah Stane and Whiplash in the previous movies is completely beyond me. And you liked Parallax in the GL movie too?! What looked like a tidal wave of excrement with a face in the middle?? :roll:

Justice? What justice to Whiplash? He was like three characters (Whiplash, Crimson Dynamo, and Doom) merged into one. Also I liked the Mandarin because it was an interesting way of throwing a curve ball with multiple villains instead of the A.) Usual villain team-up. B.) Was a twist nobody saw coming. And there was still a Mandarin that Tony fought it just wasn't the one we expected it was Killianwho had a bit of Mandarin II to him.

Because I kept hoping that Parallax would just end the movie and kill everyone but Mark Strong. Is it wrong to hope for that? Same reason I began to root for Lex Luthor in Man of Steel even though he didn't appear in it. When the hero is so stupid you just hope for the opposite. :P

sdsichero wrote:

Zechs...is...

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The Asylum